Camping Le Val Joly, Watten

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Has anyone stayed at this site in Watten, Northern France. It's quite close to Chateau Gandspette and we've driven past it whilst staying at Chateau G.

It has one favourable review in "Caravan Europe" and I thought it might be a cheaper alternative to Chateau G whilst being near to the vet and the Channel ports.

Tim

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Tim, whilst I've not stayed in Watten, we drive through it every time we go to Europe, as we stay at Camping le Chaumier, in Buyscherre.Pleasant little site with bar and restaurant, at €20 per night. (2010). A big advantage is that Madame Barberry is receptionist at the vet in St. Omer, and so you get discount on your pet's treatment.
We'll be there again in May and August this year.

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
If this is the site I think it is we have stayed there a couple of times.It is alongside the canal (much bigger than in this country) it has a number of statics that I think are weekend getaways for Pariseans.
The site owner speaks no English but if you have even a smattering of schoolboy French he will chat for hours.
Nearby is the high speed rail line which took us by suprise when we heard a roar like aircraft getting louder and louder until it passed and faded into the distance.
The site is clean with 2 loo blocks only one of which has/had hot water.If you want to experience real France then this site is for you.
The Champion supermarket is nearby and sells petrol/diesel.If approaching from the Autoroute you pass Chateau de Gandspette which is also a good site.
Both are handy for either Calais or St Omer.

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
If this is the site I think it is we have stayed there a couple of times.It is alongside the canal (much bigger than in this country) it has a number of statics that I think are weekend getaways for Pariseans.
The site owner speaks no English but if you have even a smattering of schoolboy French he will chat for hours.
Nearby is the high speed rail line which took us by suprise when we heard a roar like aircraft getting louder and louder until it passed and faded into the distance.
The site is clean with 2 loo blocks only one of which has/had hot water.If you want to experience real France then this site is for you.
The Champion supermarket is nearby and sells petrol/diesel.If approaching from the Autoroute you pass Chateau de Gandspette which is also a good site.
Both are handy for either Calais or St Omer.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Got the stutters again, Plotts? You must mean le Val Joly, as le Chaumier boss speaks good English! I must admit that the little bit of one-way system through Watten is intriguing, but we've never visited the town. Must give it a try this time.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Emmerson and Plotter
We decided to bookCamping le Chaumier
as we needed to geton with booking the vet and Eurotunnel return journey (Tesco Vouchers). We've now booked the vet, site and Eurotunnel. It's good that we could pay for the campsite booking by PayPal.
We've, also, booked the same site for one night on the way out as we have quite a long drive down to Folkestone from St Helens and that journey includes the M25 on the first Saturday of the School Summer hols!!! That means we will be able to make an early start on the Sunday morning although we have not yet decided on our main destination.!!??
Thanks again for your help.
Tim

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Tim, you won't be disappointed at La Chaumiere, but be aware that Guy is very strict on time.He will not let you in before 12noon, or out bfore 8.00am!
We do the same as you: two nights there on the way out, to sample Bernadette's cooking, and book the vet, then two or three on the way home.Just give Guy your ferry time and date, and he books the vet.Great system which has worked for us for years now.
Enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts