Camping with a New Born baby.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are currently expecting our second child in June and wonder how difficult it is caravaning with a very young baby. We usually rally with Northumberland District but may have to think about using proper sites for a while. Is there any advice for taking a small baby away?

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
We took our third away from 3 months old. He was violently ill and we had to come home. After that first trip it was great - we tried to keep up the same routine as he had when we were at home so spent lazy afternoons while he had a nap. The two older kids were great about it and just played games with us.

Much easier these days than in the dark ages what with disposable nappies etc. Go for it

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Second babies are always easier, you know what to do lol!! Our fifth baby was only six weeks old when we went away last October, we had a 16 month old and an 8, 10 and 11 year old at the time. A lot depends on your van I would say, if you dont have good heating, hot water etc, things could be tough. I find babies on the whole are pretty adapatable as long as they have you and lots of love and food they are happy. Not sure on how you intend to feed your new arrival but I should imagine the whole bottle thing could be a bit of a pain purely on a space thing. I breast feed so makes life real easy as no steralising equip, bottles blah blah so keeps the ten ton of stuff you need to take down a little. The bigger kids have the bunks at the back of our van and hubby me and the bebes all sleep in the longue make up bed which is pretty big in our lunar. Again this comes back to your van and your personal preferences but our little ones love it and love having everyone in one space. I always worry about noise and others getting cross with babies crying but they are usually too exhausted at the end of the day and I have never had any complaints from others. Hope this helps, if your happy yur babies will be too :)

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Great, Thanks for all your advice, our worry was causing too much noise during the night if he wakes up. Glad to hear that you all have positive experiences. Looking forward to the new arrival and not missing too much of this years caravaning season.
smiley-smile.gif

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
when buying our first van 2 years ago my partner was 7 months gone but we ad our van sited permanantly on a site we had no problems stayed in it every week end an the missus stayed in it during the school hols with our other kids, we had lots of help you no what women are like with new borns lol and other kids on the site we made friends with always wanted to take her for a walk in the pushchair so i'd say go for it and enjoy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With a modern van I don't think you'll have a problem, as heating, lighting etc is so good nowadays. The biggest issues I recall from taking our kids away as babies was getting the laundry done given the sheer amount of clothes they can get through. So it might be nice being close to a launderette, and perhaps a shop too.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi we started camping in a tent with our second daughter when she was 12 weeks old. No problems. When she was 8 months old, we went on a two week tour of Scotland, again no problems, but we did buy a camping fridge, and needed more equipment, a cold water steriliser was an asset. I had to get up through the night to take our other daughter to the toilets when needed, and settle the baby when needed, but as I did this at home, it did not change my routine. We now have a caravan, and find everything so much simpler from a tent, as you have facilities to hand. I advise you to go with the flow, and not to worry too much about your neighbours, as when tenting I wes often kept awake by noisy snoring!!! never a crying baby. Enjoy
Ta Julia

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts