Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

i read an article in this months magazine that recommended folks to change over to campingas if they were touting abroad for long periods, why is that ?

cheers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Highlander,

In the UK the most common supplier for caravan gas is Calor. Unfortunately the do not supply outside the UK, and because their bottles us unique connections, if you go abroad and need to change bottles, it become much more complicated. The same situation arises in most countries, where different bottle connections will be found. So a grande tour around Europe would need multiple connections to be obtained.

Fortunately Camping Gaz is sold widely around the continent, so it is the nearest thing to a universal system. and will avoid the need for so many different connections, it also means that you should be able exchange bottles almost anywhere.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
cheers folks, was wondering what the differences were. my caravan had two small bottles of this in the locker when i bought it, so i take it the last owner has toured abroad at some time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not necessarily,

Perhaps he just preferred the lighter weight of the bottles, and felt that was a good trade off compared to the smaller amount of gas he/she was carrying.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
A good compromise is to buy just one campingaz bottle, making sure you take a full Calor as well when abroad. This saves the cost of a second cg bottle. Use the cg bottle as a reserve and for the bbq since you can get a refill.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Highlander.

It depends where and when you do your caravanning. Campinggaz cylinders contain butane - like the Calor blue cylinders. (Campinggaz is a French company but their cylinders are filled by Calor in the UK.) So if you caravan in cold weather you may be better off using Propane (Calor red cylinders).

Personnaly if I go to Spain or Portugal, Campinggaz is very cheap so I don't bother to take Calor and I find I can use electric heating anyway (although I only generally go between April and October). Ideally I take one full and one empty Campinggaz cylinder to fill when I get there (to minimise weight). In other parts of Europe I take one Calor and one Campinggaz. I try not to refil Campinggaz in the UK or France, where it is expensive.

Hope this has not got you confused!!

Keith

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
take more gas than you need or you may need to change
That is the point of changing to camping gaz when going abroad (not winter), as it is widely available, so you don't have to carry as much gas when travelling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts