Campsite sadness

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
A teenaged girl has died and three of her family member are in hospital being treated for carbon monoxide poisioning.
the incident happened at around 10am this morning at a campsite in Bucknell in Shropshire.
I am sure that all members of this forum would join me in expressing our deepest sympathies to all concerned

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree the news is very sad, and I hope the familiy do recover, but of course they will have to face the sad loss of their daughter.

But apart from the fact the diposable BBQ's are quite portable, exactly the same thing could happen if a a full sized BBQ were pulled into an awning.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Of all the things we use, which are issued with 'safety notices' and 'danger' labels, it seems that barbecues are amongst the few things which don't come with a 'Serious Health Warning' - even though there have been three or four of these reported incidents this year.
It would be useful if campsites could display a notice to the effect that barbecues of any sort can kill if taken into a tent/awning or other confined space (one of the deaths was in one of those 'camping pods' in the Lake District. I imagine those who've done it are not seasoned campers, probably just enjoying the bank holiday. A note issued when booking in would help prevent this, and cost sites little or nothing. They could also display a warning notice on a notice board, or as part of their Tourist Information leaflets and perhaps also provide somewhere safe from fire where still hot barbecue ash can safely be got rid of.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Val A. said:
Of all the things we use, which are issued with 'safety notices' and 'danger' labels, it seems that barbecues are amongst the few things which don't come with a 'Serious Health Warning' - even though there have been three or four of these reported incidents this year.
It would be useful if campsites could display a notice to the effect that barbecues of any sort can kill if taken into a tent/awning or other confined space (one of the deaths was in one of those 'camping pods' in the Lake District. I imagine those who've done it are not seasoned campers, probably just enjoying the bank holiday. A note issued when booking in would help prevent this, and cost sites little or nothing. They could also display a warning notice on a notice board, or as part of their Tourist Information leaflets and perhaps also provide somewhere safe from fire where still hot barbecue ash can safely be got rid of.
I was recently at Diglea camping caravan park in Snettersham on the north Norfolk coast and the tiolet and shower blocks each contained 3 or 4 laminated warning signs dotted around each block warning of the afor mentioned dangers of these bbqs in a confined space.
This I have to say is the only time I have seen such warning issued on site, Full marks to Diglea. I do fell as Val says there should be a very prominante warning on the actual disposable bbq itself.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
CCC have got posters that can be downloaded from their site highlighting the dangers of CO poisoning. I've just printed 3 out to give to the owner of the CS site I am on at the moment. Going to ask that he displays it in the toilets and on the notice board.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Saw a laminated sign at CCC site at Blackmore at Easter as we were none the wiser (newbies) and OH had put our small Cadac Safari chef inside awning to cook bacon ... he didn't believe me when I said it wasn't good practice and after reading the sign the Cadac was outside faster than you could shake a hairy stick at it (OH is Cornish, it's rubbed off on me). Won't ever do that again. Very sad to hear and sympathy to the family concerned.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
So very sad, and such an easy thing to do. I suspect most people wouldn't associate CO poisoning with a "non-gas" item; nor would they think that tents, that seem pretty draughty, would trap the fumes. I agree, the risks need more publicity.
mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This is very sad and a warning that you cannot be too careful when dealing with fire. The TV pictures showed what looked like a two man tent which would have very little room inside. It is probable this caused the carbon dioxide normally given off to become carbon monoxide which is extremely dangerous.The danger is probably less with a caravan awning which is larger and better ventilated but I would not risk it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This is very sad and a warning that you cannot be too careful when dealing with fire. The TV pictures showed what looked like a two man tent which would have very little room inside. It is probable this caused the carbon dioxide normally given off to become carbon monoxide which is extremely dangerous.The danger is probably less with a caravan awning which is larger and better ventilated but I would not risk it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sadly we do not live in an idiot proof world. I suspect the victims here had no idea about the carbon monoxide effects of a used BBQ..
Long gone are the days when most youngsters learnt basic camping and safety skills at the Guides or Scouts.

I fully agree anyone selling BBQs should make sure a very big simply worded safety message is clearly attached to help avoid another tragedy.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I am fairly sure that most disposable BBQs have a printed warning on the packaging, but as people think they are clever, sadly they do not bother to read the warning .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts