Can anyone explain these ferry prices please?

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Just got a couple of quotes from Brittany Ferries for next summer, first one Portsmouth - St Malo return, £738, second one Portsmouth - Caen £827, both for same dates, Mon 23/8/09 outwards, Tues 25/8/09 return.

Can't understand why the shorter crossing is more expensive!!

Will I be better off booking through one of the clubs, it seems this may be the better option after reading a couple of other posts. I've already booked our site stay with the site direct so it's just the crossing I need.

I used Ferrysavers web site for the quotes,

Thank you, Lara.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Well, just a quick look at the Caravan Club for your dates (which I presume are Monday 3rd August and Tuesday 25 August) with car and caravan, Portsmouth/Caen is

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Well, a quick look at the Caravan Club website (bearing in mind your dates are obviously wrong) for 3rd August outwards, and 25th August inwards, suggests prices of

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Val,

I tried Brittany's web site and got the same prices!

Our dates are leaving Portsmouth on Mon 3rd Aug, preferably overnight so we can arrive in the morning (either Caen or St Malo) to travel down to Le Pin Parasol (St Gilles Croix De Vie) for our first night on Tues 4th.

Last night at the site is Mon 24th Aug, so we'd like to travel back after midday on Tues 25th to allow for a 5 hr (ish) drive from our site, again to arrive in Portsmouth.

Our car is approx 5 metres long, with roofbox on top about 2 metres high, caravan is 8 metres long, 2 metres high.

2 adults travelling, with 2 kids 10 and 7 years. We'd prefer an outside cabin for the outward overnight crossing, but don't need anything reserved for the return.

Val, if you can get me a cheap quote, i will owe you a few bottles of french vino!!

Thank you for your help,

Lara.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Sorry - with the overheight car, over-length van, added children, and cabin, the prices with the Caravan Club work out almost exactly the same as the quotes you've got!

Aah well - it was worth a try!

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Val,

Thank you very much for spending your time helping me out!!

I hadn't thought of the Le Harve crossing, but after speaking with my other half, I think we're going to go for that one. I've checked the mileage to the site, it's only an extra 128 miles than St Malo, and the times are perfect.

We are members of CC, but i've never used them for trips abroad. I'll let you know when i've booked!

Are we better off booking now, or do you think it's worth waiting to see if any offers come out?

Thank you again,

Lara.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I honestly don't know about when to book. Usually we book our May crossing about now - and have mostly got good deals. Just occasionally special offers are announced, such as 'Caravans go free' - but often the conditions which apply to these make them not such a good deal. Crossings at popular times aren't usually offered at bargain prices. However, this year there's the added uncertainty about 'the credit crunch' and this seems to be affecting everything. Perhaps if bookings are down then ferry companies may offer 'specials' which really are special!

I know if you book via the Caravan Club you've usually only a

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Lara,

I have now got a quote from Caravan Club - sailing 19 August at 9am Poole / Cherbourg and return on 1st September again at 9am with Brittany Ferries - the cost is usually around the same if you go Portsmouth / Caen. The price for Ferry only would have been

TRENDING THREADS