Can anyone help with site choice?

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I am looking for a site roughly about 2 hours from Glasgow, in any direction, which is within walking distance to the town/village. Hubby not joining kids and I until end of the week so will be without the car. Cheers, Mairi x

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Mairi,

One that springs to mind is Gibson Park, Melrose ( Caravan Club )but non members welcome.

You are literally in the main High Street as soon as you walk out of the site which is open all year round.

You then have the choice of buses from Melrose if you want to go elsewhere.

Maureen

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Mairi,

Next choice......Craigie Gardens CC site.Approx 10 -15 mins walk by the river and you are in the town of Ayr.Open all year.

Maureen

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Maureen thanks, both sites look great and exactly what we are looking for. As long as there is a park and the girls are able to cycle their bikes that's all we need. A nice walk into town is a bonus.

Have also been looking at Fort William, the Glen Nevis camping and caravan park looks good too. Have you stayed there before? Mairi x

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Mairi, I can concur with the recommendation for Gibson Park. Nice site. Play park next door and there are walkways alongside the Tweed for walking/cycling.

Melrose hardly has a "national" name in the high street. Virtually all the businesses are privately owned. The butcher, baker and greengrocer are first class.

It's a while since I stayed at Glen Nevis so wouldn't like to comment but it is a longer walk into town. It's also a good bit more than two hours from Glasgow.

Likewise, I have only overnighted at Craigie Gdns six years ago so can't give an up-to-date opinion.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mairi

I agree with Maureen that Craigie Gardens is a good choice.It's just a short walk into Ayr town centre. The site is beautiful and is in the middle of a park.

Another favourite of ours is the C&CC site at Moffat. Again it's only a short distance from shops etc and has what I call "a proper High Street" with a butcher, baker and so on. The Black Bull nearby gave out vouchers via the site for 10% off food. We ate there a couple of times and the food was excellent with huge portions.

If I had to choose though I'd pick Cragie Gardens.

April

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I can definitely recommend Craigie Gardens. As it has been said it is in the middle of a great park ideal for cycling. There are numerous paths that can be cycled. And as my wife says there is a supermarket just up the road(Tesco's). Just back from having a lovely weekend there. Ken

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts