can anyone help

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
last year i bought a avondale leda grampian 1992 from a dealer this year i decided to trade it in for a newwer caravan everything finalised just got to take van in so we took it to the new dealer to be told sorry we can't accept this has it is completely damp .we have never noticed any you can't smell it or see it and has my wife is disabled with arthrightous and asthma and one of my children is severe astmatic so surely it would have affected one of them but it hasn't so has this van is on finance and we are stuck what can we do leagaly

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mark. I am sorry to read of your plight, Bearing in mind the caravan you are trying to PX is 12 Yrs old, it would not be uncommon for damp to have occured. Check the purchase details of your caravan, was it sold to you last year with any warranty about damp? Did you comply with the terms and service/ inspection and arrangements of the deal, IF you did and teh damp has occured in the last 12 months, then you may have some leaverage,but realistically I don't think you have much chance of redeming the situation unless you want to go to a lot of effort, which may cost more than the value of the caravan. However If you could have the caravan surveyed by an independant engineer, and have a writen report, If this shows the caravan to be dry, (bear in mind that it may be damp)then you could approach the dealer again with the evidence and ask them to reconsider. If they refuse and maintain the caravan is damp, then you could approach the trading standards office about the quality of workmanship (i.e. the survey the dealer carried out). This is messy and I wouldn't hold out much hope. Best suggestiopn is to sell the van privately (you may get more than the dealer value anyway)then with the extra cash negotiate a better discount for no PX.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark I would suggest that you get your self a damp meter and go back to the dealer and say you would like a damp test on the new van in front of you, You can almost guarantee that it will show dampness somewhere with the cold weather we are having all caravans will give a damp reading, but there is no fault once you start using it with door or window open they soon clear

Rick

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi mark...i agree with john l you cant always tell when u have damp unless its really bad...my caravan was only 12 months old when it had a service and 30 percent damp was found in the rear and u could not tell...i was lucky and it was under warranty...your case as john said could proove costly but there is one thing you may not have considered...u said it was under finance...was this hp...where you are not the owner untill so many payment have been done ??? if so u could have some leverage there as the legal owner of the caravan is still the finance company..you should contact them and inform them the condition of their property and maybe they can put pressure on the company who sold it to you....especially if u can proove its been there for some time...if not do as john suggested get rid...good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mark

The damp readings in your caravan will indicate the amount of water present and the spread in the affected areas.From this information you can often

tell approximately how long the van has been letting water.If you have readings

that indicate that you were sold a damp/wet van at a 'dry' price then following Daves advice after a call to Trading Standards may be fruitful.Good Luck.Simon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts