Can I store a caravan on my driveway?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 11, 2021
Visit site
We let the immediate neighbour, who's drive was going to be most overlooked, know we were getting a van and they were OK with it (we're on good terms anyway). Our development was completed in 1969 though so I'm pretty sure the developer is either gone or not interested (assuming they were even worried about it in the first place), plus there are others around with motorhomes and caravans on the drive.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I put our caravan on our drive for maybe 1 or two days before we go away. And the same when we come home. I THINK it would decline the overall "look" of our Cul De Sac . As does our Neighbour across the road. They are very prominent and not down the side of the house
I will post a photo next time I get it home.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....we've stored a caravan next to our garage for 27 years partially sheilded from view by shrubs and fencing.
Figured it has saved between £12k and £15k or about the cost of our current caravan.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
My caravan is parked on the drive behind the house. This has been going on since 1978, never had any problems but the first van the neighbour did plant a tree that has since been removed.

Trevor

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
when we moved into our Bungalow, our new neighbour had his caravan parked down the side of our garage (on his land) he had parked it there when he bought his Bungalow brand new, no one complained, not even the builder..
When I moved in 10 years later, I wrote asking the builders permission, which was granted, (I found out later my neighbour hadn't bothered) that was 15 years ago so should have no worries.Van Park 1.jpg.
Van Park 2.jpg

Neighbour used to park to the right of my garage, Hes had to stop caravanning now days.

I parked Mine to the left, as I still do, bit of a dog leg from the front of the drive, Motor movers God Sent

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
when we moved into our Bungalow, our new neighbour had his caravan parked down the side of our garage (on his land) he had parked it there when he bought his Bungalow brand new, no one complained, not even the builder..
When I moved in 10 years later, I wrote asking the builders permission, which was granted, (I found out later my neighbour hadn't bothered) that was 15 years ago so should have no worries.View attachment 3392.
View attachment 3393

Neighbour used to park to the right of my garage, Hes had to stop caravanning now days.

I parked Mine to the left, as I still do, bit of a dog leg from the front of the drive, Motor movers God Sent
Your caravan looks nice

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There are five house in our cul de sac. Two weeks before a trip I bring her back from the farm for cleaning , maintenance and packing. Neighbours are fine . However I think if Idid it all year someone may complain. Not only that all year round it would block my garage access😉😁

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I also live in a cul de sac with 8 houses and have kept 2 Caravans on the front of our house over quite a few years,(not at the same time) never had any complaints from anyone and when we go away in the caravan our next door neighbour parks 1 of their cars on our driveway to make it look like the house is occupied. bless good neighbours

Gra

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We bring our caravan out of storage a few days before we go away to give it a good clean inside on our drive and our neighbours are fine there is a touring caravan next door to us all year round and the family use it a lot .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Under Town & Country Planning Laws you can do anything you want for 28 days
Pointless! What really matters is your relationship with your neighbours, Like Hutch and BB talk to your neighbours . If you can get it down the side or back like Gafferbill fine long term. Front drive not so easy nor something we like bar a few days getting ready.

Reactions: Hutch and DaveA1
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So true DD, if myself and the neighbor across the road bring our caravans home ready for the off, it is not overly unsightly. I am the only person in our Cul de sac that puts the cars in the garage, everyone else leaves one or two cars on the drive ways, I get so annoyed, disguting.
And when we bring the caravans home we do a complete 360 turns with the vans on the back, when everyone else do 3 point turns .

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I remember it had gas mantles and a foot pump for the water, but no toilet as far as I can remember.

There were different irritations. The one I had had an internal. toilet compartment which folded up. And a double bed which folded against the rear wall. So should have been unstable. But wasn't so bad. Except I once came over the Severn Bridge on a windy day dreading it. A box shaped lorry came alongside me and took me rightbaccross.

Mine had electrics but I thing they were after market.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Even if you contravene anything, it would normally take well in excess of 28 days for either the council or anyone else to get a court order.
[/QUOTE]
Like maybe two or more years. Strangely most councils seem to react very quickly to abandoned vehicles.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The number of years since the Contravention first took place are taken into account. I.e I moved into my house fifteen years ago one neighbour had a van and talking to the others, they had no problems with it. ( although I did write to the builder asking permission) If a new neighbour moves in, after so many years he has little or no chance if he complains. to get the van moved. That's as how I understand it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There were different irritations. The one I had had an internal. toilet compartment which folded up. And a double bed which folded against the rear wall. So should have been unstable. But wasn't so bad. Except I once came over the Severn Bridge on a windy day dreading it. A box shaped lorry came alongside me and took me rightbaccross.

Mine had electrics but I thing they were after market.

John
Hi John We had a Sprite Alpine that was 4 berth caravan and it had a internal toilet compartment we also had gas mantles and water from tap you had to use your foot to pump it first outing our son was sleeping on the bunk and it collapse we only paid £250

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts