Can I take the caravan over the MIllau Bridge?

Jan 18, 2007
Visit site
I am going to Cap D'Adge in May and I wish if I can to cross the Millau Bridge en route, if I can't take the caravan, I will drive back solo to cross it. Anyone any tips, or prices etc.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
John

I went over it last summer twice no problems just the fee. bit of a let down realy. If you want to see the best of the bridge you need to go to the visitor centre , well worth a detor but best without the van.

David from Suffolk

G

We have been round and under it, as we wanted to stay in the Gorge du Tarn area. From ground level it is very impressive, makes you wonder why we cannot do things like that in the UK anymore. Answers on a postcard to.... P.O. Box Downing Street... I should imagine crossing it is a bit like going over the Forth Bridge (Railway bridge, not the junky one beside it). You are full of anticipation and then, you are over without really appreciating what has happened.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have been round and under it, as we wanted to stay in the Gorge du Tarn area. From ground level it is very impressive, makes you wonder why we cannot do things like that in the UK anymore. Answers on a postcard to.... P.O. Box Downing Street... I should imagine crossing it is a bit like going over the Forth Bridge (Railway bridge, not the junky one beside it). You are full of anticipation and then, you are over without really appreciating what has happened.
As David says, the actual crossing of the viaduct is a bit of a let down, as the sides are fitted with a sort of obscured glass type material, so that there is not much of a view. It looks wonderful as you approach, and the visitor centre is very interesting, but the crossing itself is not the experience we had hoped for. But, yes, you can take your caravan over it,very easily, as we did last June. Worth a try, if only to be able to say that you have done it!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
It was sort of designed by Foster but in reality he took a design from a Frenchman and modified very slightly a bit of plagerism really so difficult to deny the French some of the credit at least.Not least because if you do they might blockade the ports and motorways ,park tractors everywhere etc etc!!!!!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I seem to remember that it was French engineers ideas that were then brought together by Fosters Architects to give it the looks and make it a point of interst rather than an engineers practical offering!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"makes you wonder why we cannot do things like that in the UK anymore"

Who designed the Millau Bridge.

Why Norman Foster of course.

So we do!
I really must read everyone's reply

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Mind you Evans he also designed the bendy wobbly "blade of light" foot bridge over the Thames.

May be he should have had the French help with that one ;-)

TRENDING THREADS