Canoeing

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Anyone know the rules on access to rivers etc for canoeing. Does it come under the " right to roam " act ???

I suppose the question is, can you just go down to the riverbank and launch a canoe ?????

thanks for any advice

Jan 6, 2007
Visit site
this morning on the news there was a river swimming group trying to change the law as they want access to be able to enter any rivers,they used the right to roam as a example as to what they wanted.

I know parts of the river wye through lydbrook (glos) has signs forbiding the launching/recovering of canoes.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
This all depends on the river, and which part thereof, you want to use.

Rivers are privately owned (generally speaking), and the right to use them is either by voluntary permission from the owner, or by there being an historic "right of navigation".

In the case of the Wye, for instance, there is a right of navigation downstream of Hereford, but any use upstream would be by permission of the owner.

Canoes do not have any special rights over other boats.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi LB

ta for the link, I am trying to get a feel for what people are actually doing right now. I see quite a few motor homes around Scotland towing trailers with canoes. I didn't know if you could just turn up and paddle or had to have prior agreement.!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lucksall Caravan Park, a few miles from me, has a place for launching canoes on to the Wye. You can also hire the canoes and bikes from the site.

It's a lovely site next to the river where you can also fish, buying permits from reception.

They do an offer in October/November for

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Lucksall Caravan Park, a few miles from me, has a place for launching canoes on to the Wye. You can also hire the canoes and bikes from the site.

It's a lovely site next to the river where you can also fish, buying permits from reception.

They do an offer in October/November for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts