Car electrics

May 5, 2005
Visit site
had new Indiana and just noticed that nothing in van works when connected to car except fridge,on old van had car/van switch.is something wrong with my wiring or are they all like this now,unplugging car gets everything working except fridge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David you will be pleased to know that nothing is wrong with your outfit electrics

Since 1996 ish caravnas have had a habitation relay which is triggered by the fridge feed on 12V

This switches everything in the van off when towing/attached to car and is the norm.

We have the Oklahoma ---hope that you enjoy yout Indiana

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think I'm right in saying that, with engine switched off, c'van interior lights should work.
You are right the fridge circuit via a relay triggers the habitation relay but only when the car ignition is on/engine running depending on type of relay and method of wiring.

If it extinguishes caravan interior lights etc when plugged in and ignition off then its been wired without the fridge relay(or its stuck !!).

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for quick reply but I definately get nothing except fridge,I have one of those electronic things in back,could it have died,it was profesionally fitted by the towbar people.Also does the battery get charged when the engine is running,if so how can i tell?

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
David - I tend to agree with John G on this. I think your electrics are OK. With the engine running, you will only get power to the fridge and battery charger,(all other 12V systems are OFF).The fridge runs off a relay in the car, and the charger runs off a relay in the caravan. I cant recall any visual means of knowing that the charger is actually charging.

With the engine OFF, you shouldn't get power to the fridge or charger, but you SHOULD have 12V to c/van lighting and socket/s.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
I think i may have a problem then as fridge stays on but no lights or sockets even with keys out of car,fridge led is on whenever the socket is plugged in.Sorry to be a pain but off to France in two weeks and if something is wrong I dont want to be stuck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No pain no gain as they say.

There is no car/van switch on the Senators .

The fridge is wired direct from the car battery/alternator via the car relay.

It sounds as though yours has stuck on or there is a short.

The charging can be checked with a multi meter at the 12S socket

Have a look at this website under wiring and FAQs

www.towitall.co.uk

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
David, Just been reading your first post again-if your car was/is wired for a pre 1998 'van (don't know what age your last 'van was), then the 12S plug will have to be rewired to suit the new 'van.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
If your fridge light is on with the engine off, and it goes out when the 12S plug is disconnected, this MIGHT indicate that your fridge is wired direct from the car's battery without a relay,(or as John has indicated, it could be a sticking relay) in which case you could/would flatten the car's battery fairly quickly when the car is switched off.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Re your interior lights, check the fuse on the extra wire which should be fitted to the positive terminal on the car's battery.(This wire is also used to charge the 'van battery when the engine is running).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts