Car Insurance

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I had my car insurance renewal notice yesterday, I decided to trawl the net to compare prices. Nearly all the companies that I asked for a qoute came out between £90 & £100 cheaper. I decided to ask the original company for an online quote and guess what, yes thats right that was £97 cheaper as well. I phoned the company concerned ( the little red phone people )to ask for an explanation. I was told that It was discounted for being done online & discounted for being a new customer. So much for customer loyalty!

I filled in the form online and paid the reduced rate by debit card. The paper work arrived this morning.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No such thing as customer loyalty - just cutomer rip off.

I suspect that had you stated to DL that you were going elswhere because of cost then the would have come down in price.

BUT - do be aware that you should should check to make sure you are properly coverred - for example you made it clear on line that you tow a caravan?

Reason I ask is that when I looked at the DL site I could not find where to add this info. But this was some time ago.

Do not give them ANY reason to wriggle out of a claim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive, when the paperwork arrives, you usally have to sign it and make any adjustments. I add the fact that this vehicle will be used to tow a caravan or trailer, as you rightly say, just in case.

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good idea Bri

We have personal experience of informing by phone (the one with the animal with a trunk .co) of our changing the existing alloy wheels to new ones when one got damaged (OE type ones no longer available) only to be told later that no details of that phone call were on file.

Had there been an accident they could have wriggled out of a claim.

Log everything, keep records and confirm everything in writing.

And from my professional experience - I would say you cannot trust a call centre operator to update your records. If you talk to them - sign off by taking the persons name, make a point of verbaly recording the time "for your file". These guys are paid by how many calls they deal with - if their computors are slow - they do not bother to update your details.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
To Clive v ,Clive while renewing my car insurance over the phone ,they asked what i do for a living ,so i said i want insurance to drive on a public road ,not public liability ,then they asked what my wife does for a living ,then he said that certain jobs get a discount

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Not so much certain jobs getting a discount more certain jobs being loaded.

When I owned a pub my insurance was increased because of the nature of the job even though at that stage I had been Teetotal for almost 10 years. Same story when I owned a restaurant and now for the last 10 years it's loaded because I'm in the motor trade.

Brian ( clean licence and no speeding fines for over 30 years )

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Joby - I read you post as a statement not a question.

Brian is right - There is a basic lowest common denominator cover to which certain occupations then get "loaded". This is according to claims history within that provider.

Some providers will use these ratings to select the type of clients they want on their books.

The obvious ones are those that advertise as a virtue the fact that they do not insure young drivers.

Then there is "Admiral" who specifically targets young drivers.

So the guy you spoke to was lying in my opinion. There is never a discount for certain occupations - only a loading for some.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Don't worry, it's not rocket science.

Insurance companies are only out there today to rip of the public with the highest premium they can get away with and to deplete the rain forrest's with the reams of small print they have as "get out clauses".

In short, expect to pay for jack diddly then when one company dare to be different take out a health policy to cover you for "shock".

I've not yet found an insurer where I've not had to do their job for them to get a claim settled. Even to the point of tracking down the insurance broker of a local cement firm when their overloaded lorry tried to spray my car grey. Just because the managing director of the cement firm though denial was the best policy. It wasn't for me, as

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve - we have had the same problem on a metallic car - the cost of having a complete re-spray as oppossed to what the idiot claims assessor would only authorise was no more than a few hundred pounds, so we did a deal with the body shop.

As it happened, they billed the insurance company for the whole job any way!

Insurance assessors in my book are the lowest form of life. They seem to want to make an already difficult and stressful situation worse.

May 27, 2006
Visit site
Earlier this year we needed to change our home insurance because I`m no longer a 'homeworker' and the policy we had would not cover us. We changed to the dog firm and were happy to save a fair ammount of cash.

This week my sons asked to be put on the wifes car policy for driving practic leading up to his test.

Wifes insurance firm refused cover as we have 2 cars in the household...(stupid or what?)

Wife contacted the 'dog' again and was instantly accepted at a great price.

Me?.. well my car insurance is due next month so I checked the 'dog' via the web.. another great result saving me about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts