Car insurers start penalising speed awareness courses

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
They might do but then you invalidate your insurance.
To go on a driver awareness course has always been seen as the easy option and people are concerned about the points and not all police forces run it so not fair to all.
At the end of the day you have been caught speeding however its dealt with, so your insutrance company should know? If you dont want to get caught simply dont speed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely they will firstly have to amend their T&C to make speed awareness course notifiable as at present they are not and you have not been convicted of a speeding offence.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
otherclive said:
Surely they will firstly have to amend their T&C to make speed awareness course notifiable as at present they are not and you have not been convicted of a speeding offence.
The policy requires you to notify your insurer of all information relevant to its setting the premium so if they think it is relevant they have to be told. Yes there is a problem there as only the insurer knows what they consider relevant and this should be amended soon but for the moment you do have to guess what you should disclose.
To turn a claim down Admiral would have to produce the statistics which I was not aware of to show their decision was reasonable.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Sproket said:
Car insurers start penalising speed awareness courses

will this mean that people will stop telling there insurance about it ?

Admiral is NOT an insurance company, they are merely brokers. The other question is of course how will they prove you are lying as the information would not be in the public domain. Also it defeats the purpose of the speed awareness course as you might as well pay the fine. In my case I chose to pay the fine and there was no increase in my premium as insurance companies accept that most drivers probably have at least one conviction.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The speed awareness course is more expensive than the fine but no points are added to your licence which seems why so many take it up.
There is a record of you taking the course as if you are caught speeding again in the next 2 years you dont have the option

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
Admiral is NOT an insurance company, they are merely brokers.
Admiral is an insurance company, not a broker.
Admiral is simply a trading name for EUI Limited, which also trades as a number of other "competitors" as well as the "independent" Confused.com

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
RogerL said:
Surfer said:
Admiral is NOT an insurance company, they are merely brokers.
Admiral is an insurance company, not a broker.
Admiral is simply a trading name for EUI Limited, which also trades as a number of other "competitors" as well as the "independent" Confused.com

I think you may be incorrect on this aspect.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The link only shows that EUI Limited, trading as Admiral, is a member of the Credit Services Association - for which part of Admiral's business is collecting credit payment for insurance premiums.
It's normal for insurance companies to underwrite business elsewhere, for instance at Lloyds where it's further underwritten by the "Names" - but that doesn't make it a broker.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I think surfer's responce earlier is correct. "how will they know" under that pathetic law " data protection your information cannot be passed on, that in its self is a offence. now unless your licience shows you have been on a course, the insurer broker or whoever will not
have any legal way of knowing if you have or have not done a course. Now i suppose an insurer could make a request, but would need a bloody good reason, if indeed they can make a request, which i dont think they can anyway. reminds me of the "tell the insurer if your car has been remaped or has a tuning box because they can find out" this would be easier for them to do than getting personel data and has anyone ever come across a case where the insurer actually went to the huge cost of checking out somebodies ECU for data on performance upgrades?if they have the cost of doing so would mean it was a huge claim and again only if you admit to it anyway would it hold up....there are 100,000s of cars out there with remaps, many owners geniunely dont actually know their cars have been done
sorry for the example used but if i ever did get done for speeding i would take the course and that between me and the police....

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Admiral is not a broker as such the structure is far more complex, it underwrites the business and deals with the claims in its own name setting premiums and is generally acting as an insurer although the actual risk may be carried elsewhere.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
Admiral is not a broker as such the structure is far more complex, it underwrites the business and deals with the claims in its own name setting premiums and is generally acting as an insurer although the actual risk may be carried elsewhere.
so it is a broker then or is it? earlier rogerL mentioned Lloyds, Lloyds is a bank not an insurance company or is It? we had house insurance with Lloyds, but the policy was from the LV, so on renewal I went to LV direct and got a quote 20% cheaper than Lloyds.
on reading the bumpf, one of the underwriters is, Lloyds plc.
I think that is what Raywood refers to as complex?
while it is true that insurance companies will use any device to aviod a claim telling them something that they may use against you is a catch 22 position you only need to disclose criteria they ask for so when they ask has the car been modified? a remap or towbar would be a yes, have you had any convictions in the last 5 years? would be no as a driver awarness course is not a conviction but a sort of warning for poor judgment, it like the average milage you put 5000 miles a year so do you stop driving when you have covered 5001 in theory you should.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Lloyds http://www.lloyds.com/lloyds/about-us is totally different, not even a company, to Lloyds TSB Bank http://www.lloydstsb.com/
Lloyds (the insurer) is the world's biggest insurance underwriter - many car insurance companies have their policies underwritten at Lloyds but others take the risk themselves.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts