Car mirrors

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
Hi guys. We are relatively new to caravaning having purchased a Baileys pageant bordoaux about 4 years ago which was made in 2005 so already it was quite old but 8n good condition. We have just been to one of the big Manchester shows and bought a brand new challenger swift.
Anyway, I digress slightly. What I would like to know is, which are the best mirrors for towing a caravan? My car is an Audi A6.
Many thanks guys

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have used Milenco aero for a while and find them good. Despite the advert blurb I do find under some road conditions they vibrate a little bit but it’s not sufficient to be a problem. The latest ones have good sized screw tops which make them easy to do and undo. Another plus is that if you should lose a tightener they are available as spares. See Milenco website.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Didnt really look before but there are several versions.we have the aero3 prob not out of luck.the dealer said these where better for our caravan.and now i see why.they are quite a bit wider with the extention bar,than our previous ones.And with the law
extract from a club web page
Caravan mirrors and cameras - how important are they?
To be compliant with the law, anyone towing a caravan must be able to see 20 metres behind them and four metres either side of the towed outfit. In order to meet this requirement, almost all vehicles will need additional towing mirrors and could benefit from fitting a camera.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
+4 for us to but regarding a camera I don't feel the need to have one as if I am to reverse I will get my wife to go to the back of me and guide me back or un hitch and use the mover on site to get onto pitch .

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Another vote from me for Milenco Aero mirrors. In over 40 years of towing they're the best I've had. Mine are a good few years old now - they're the original "small" ones and I'm tempted to upgrade to the latest model!!
Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another happy Grand aero user having tried all sorts of mirrors, including a thing called a Retrovisor which was a periscope device fotted to the centre top of the car windscreen and giving you a view back through the caravan, most of which in the 60s had through vision.
If you write suitable letters to PCV magazine you may be lucky enough to win a pair as I did.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Tried a few before I bought the Milenco Aeros, not cheap but by far the best I have used, I find them trouble free.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the Milenco Grand Aero and I'm more than happy with them. I previously had Radycot Strap-ons and although I was happy with these when they were on the last car, they would not fit properly over the Shoguns mirrors and therefore needed to be replaced.
Regards,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We did use Grand Aeros but found them near impossible to fit on our new Mazda and had to fasten them on with a belt until we could replace them. We had to get strap on ones to stay in place, so if possible I would ask the dealer if you can tray them on the car before buying.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Never quite sure why so many people automatically head for aftermarket caravan mirrors. Many car makers supply mirrors designed specifically for a given model, when you can be guaranteed of a good fit that doesn't interfere with the glass operation.
Granted they are more expensive but worth it against the hassle of ill fitting alternatives.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Never quite sure why so many people automatically head for aftermarket caravan mirrors. Many car makers supply mirrors designed specifically for a given model, when you can be guaranteed of a good fit that doesn't interfere with the glass operation.
Granted they are more expensive but worth it against the hassle of ill fitting alternatives.

Agree that custom mirrors could be a solution but given the number of “votes” for Milenco I think that company has shown that for many different models of car its mirrors fit and work fine. I used their older design on a 2005 Sorento, 2010 XC70 and 2014 Forester. With the Superb I bought the newer design mirrors and again they fit very well and give good functionality of the car mirrors. So I would only consider OEM Car mirrors if Milencos didn’t fit and I had obtained my refund or tried them out beforehand.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Late to the party, but we had Milencos and my husband was worried that they'd break the mirror housing if tightened too much. We swapped for 'Suck it and See' (bought off Amazon). They 'stick' to the mirror with a sucker pad... as they're attached to the mirror itself, the driver can adjust them with the auto controls meaning gone are the days of 'up a bit, out a bit' for me!

We were initially concerned about how good the suck-iness would be and whether they'd drop off on the motorway, but they've stayed firmly attached on two long trips to France and numerous local trips, so we're really chuffed with them. There's also less (according to Mr H) vibration from them than our previous ones, so for us they're a winner all round.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts