car navigation

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hello everyone i thinking of buying a in car navigation system the one i am looking at is the tomtom go we want to able to use it in franc and spain has anyone used one of these or any advise on wether this are worth while they cost about£450. so don't want to waste my hard earned cash all the best

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a tomtom go and have used it in France without problem. It is easy to use and can be easily transferred betweeen vehicles. Bright sunlight can cause reflection problems and if you have a heat or uv reflective windscreen you will not a decent signal which will cause navigation problems

If your windscreen is uv/heat reflective there is usually an area around the rear view mirror where the screen is not coated and the system works perfectly. Tomtom's on line tech supprt is excellent

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've been using tomtom navigation 3 on a PDA for 12 month I find the best thing is not having to keep a lookout for signs. I think you would be better buying a PDA, Navigation software (there's more then Tomtom out their) and a GPS receiver, this will do all that tomtom go does but the PDA can be used for much more then navigation. Try http://www.pocketgps.co.uk this is a site dedicated the GPS system, you may find you'll have change from

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Am currently using a PDA attached to a gps receiver via a bluetooth link - works fine.

The PDA is a HP 2220 and their IPAQ Navigation 3 package.

Whilst living in Wales the voice prompts are not brilliant, but manageable, definatly worth it. Best thing is that it can be set for RV mode - i.e., caravan so it avoids nasty switchbacks and tight turns.

Best of luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a Mitac Mio 168 which has its own recivier. The software is Co-Pilot. Would not go on hols without it. When we missed the turning for the ferry at Portsmouth after long delay on the M25 it gave us a alternative route to the ferry which we would not have found. Caught the ferry with 20mins to spare. Did not get lost once whilst in France travelling to the Dordogne. My advice is buy one.

TRENDING THREADS