Caravan advice for newbie

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Good morning again,

I'm looking for a decent family van, probably of mid-ninties era as I don't want to spend a fortune if the family hates it and we end up having to sell it all again.

Not having ever had a caravan before I really don't know what to look for (apart from obvious physical damage and damp) and what makes are known to be good and what makes, if any, to avoid.

So far the Swift Challenger vans seems to be ticking all the right boxes in terms of size and practicality, particularly the 490/5 SE of which we've seen a few.

Are there any others of the same sort of size and features we should consider and add to the list?

The car we have (Mazda MPV with 2.0 diesel engine) will pull this type van very well (and then some) according to all the outfit matching sites we've checked.

The car is capable of towing a larger van I'm not sure I'd want to even though we're technically legal up to two tonnes, I don't see any profit in going to the limit just because you can.

And help, advice and suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks and best regards,

Chris

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Incidentally, is there any meaning to the numbers that a lot of vans seem to bear? Taking the Swift Challenger 490/5 as an example, I'm assuming the suffix '5' denotes how many it will sleep but is there any significance to the prefix '490' and if there is, is it a proprietory meaning to individual caravan manufacturers or is there a universal understanding that spans all makes?

Sorry if that's a daft question.

Chris

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chris

What you don't say is how many there are in the family.

One consideration is that as far as I know the Swift 490/5 is a non fixed bed version, the reason I mention this is that if there is only two of you then have you considered the fixed bed option and also is the bathroom/shower sufficient for you? We had a Bessacarr for ages which had the rear bathroom of which we showered in every night rather than use the site showers and it was superb the only downside was that we had to make up the bed every night and put everything away in the morning, this eventually drove us mad so we bought a Fleetwood with a fixed bed and rear bathroom which is perfect.

Not sure if you have considered that optiom but just thought I would ask if you are prepared to make up your beds every night.

And finally Swift are good caravans, the only makes I personally would avoid are Dethleffs and Lunar (build quality) and Bailey for being poor build and nose heavy, my opinion.

Good luck

Goo

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that there are five of us altogether. I can imagine that making beds up every night is a pain but I think in our situation we might be left with little choice.

Thanks again,

Chris

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Glad to see you are taking a very sensible approach to this, it's not the first time I would have read a post on here along the lines of :I've just bought such and such a caravan, is it o.k to tow it with such and such a caravan. Often the answer has been a resounding "no, it's definitely not". You at least seem to be doing your homework. Well done, I'm sure you will make the right choice.

Regards specific makes, most people have their own favourites and ones that they are not so keen on, generally this opinion is arrived at through personal experience. For example, another poster has suggested avoiding Bailey, I'm currently on my third Bailey and my fourth will probably be the same. Many years ago I had a Swift which had a serious damp problem, this put me off that make but I think you have to realise that you are going to get good and bad from most manufacturers when you are looking at older vans.

To me the biggest potential problem in older vans will be dampness, not always easily spotted. Can I ask are you intending to buy private or from a dealer?

Do you know anyone who has some experience of caravans that would go and look at caravans with you and give advice?

Damien, the moderator on here, is a caravan engineer of some kind I'm sure. Perhaps if you can get a hold of him he might be able to give more specific advice. A mobile caravan engineer local to you might, for a fee, look at your chosen van and give a report. As well as preventing you from buying a dud it might also give you some leverage in negotiating a price.

Good Luck

Robert

May 8, 2010
Visit site
with regard to the model numbers, Elddis vans seem to have the first number as the internal length in metres (rounded down) and the last number for some models is the number of berths, Some model numbers seem to have no meaning unless you are Robert Langdon;-)

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
If making beds is not your thing and certainly drives me to the edge of madness there some with fixed bunks.

we now have a fixed bunk 6 berth and its great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts