Caravan aerial

Apr 5, 2019
Visit site
I have a status plus vision aerial on my caravan which is a ( Bailey ranger 2008 540/6)it has a threaded plastic pinnacle on it. I was wondering if there is an extension rod that will take the place of the pinnacle to get a better tv signal in bad signal areas
All ideas welcome thanks

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The spike on the top is supposed to be to provide improved sensitivity for a vertically polarised signal but frankly I doubt it would make much difference whether it was present or not. The metal screw that attaches it makes an electrical connection and I would suspect the wire inside is possibly a helical coil to effectively make it electrically longer, so replacing it with a rod would be a waste of time.

Note that when DSO came along the industry started telling people that these aerials are not 'digital' so replacement would be needed. Rubbish! An aerial picks up a signal irrespective of what version it is be it analogue TV, digital TV, AM or FM radio or DAB provided it is within the frequency band for which the aerial is designed to work. You should have a Status 530 which IME are much better on digital than they were on analogue for technical reasons. If it has purple writing on the dome then the amplifier is inside the aerial and the connection box is just a power supply; if the writing is orange or red then the amplifier is in the box, not the aerial. If the latter you may achieve some benefit but changing the amp to one of the newer models such as Status VP3 or one from Fringe Electronics at Mansfield but try it before your spend your money - you might be surprised.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
i also agree you should have Status 530 Directional TV FM Aerial booster and i find it alot better

The catch is that fitting a 530 will required a bigger hole cutting in the roof, and there is no certainty that there is any strengthening underneath that is substantial enough to take the load of a directional aerial.

As I said the flying saucer does actually work quite well on DTTV, but if there is a need for something better then a conventional aerial outside on a pole strapped to the jockey shaft is an option.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
We had a Bailey padgeant which was a 2008 and the status 530 directional came as standard ! So could it be someone has changed the aerial.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The catch is that fitting a 530 will required a bigger hole cutting in the roof, and there is no certainty that there is any strengthening underneath that is substantial enough to take the load of a directional aerial.

As I said the flying saucer does actually work quite well on DTTV, but if there is a need for something better then a conventional aerial outside on a pole strapped to the jockey shaft is an option.
Hi Woodedtop i use to own a 2008 Bailey Ranger 460/4 ours came with a flying saucer but we upgraded it at the caravan dealer to Status 530 and it was alot better

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That fine using satellite and if an aerial on a pole you prefer that your choice i hope you have some nice breaks away in the caravan

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Makes sense that it should work better than the directional aerial on digital? We have the directional Status aerial, but we have never used it as we use a satellite dish.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I think you misunderstand.

The flying saucer was always complained about on analogue as it doesn't have the gain (i.e. ability to collect signal) that a directional aerial does. However with digital signals they work or they don't - the so-called 'digital cliff'.

The difference is that IME digital TVs are more sensitive than analogue were, the signal carries something called forward error correction which allows the TV to present a perfect picture even when the incoming signal carries interference (in the same way a CD or DVD does), and most of all (and largely due to the way it was/is measured) the digital transmissions are 2 or 2.5 times more powerful than analogue were from most transmitter sites.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think you misunderstand.

The flying saucer was always complained about on analogue as it doesn't have the gain (i.e. ability to collect signal) that a directional aerial does. However with digital signals they work or they don't - the so-called 'digital cliff'.

The difference is that IME digital TVs are more sensitive than analogue were, the signal carries something called forward error correction which allows the TV to present a perfect picture even when the incoming signal carries interference (in the same way a CD or DVD does), and most of all (and largely due to the way it was/is measured) the digital transmissions are 2 or 2.5 times more powerful than analogue were from most transmitter sites.
I understood perfectly!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts