Caravan antisnake/stabiliser

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Reading the Alko thread has got me thinking.

When we had caravans in the past I religiously would attach a Bulldog antisnake bar on them because my father in law would predict awful things happening if we didn't.

Wind the clock forward after fifteen or twenty years and we noticed most caravans have sprouted a red thing on their tow hitches, upon enquiry we are informed that they are Alko hitches and are a modern form of an antisnake.

Where we store our caravan there is a shop at the front and they also sell second hand kit, including Alko hitches and they ain't cheap even second hand.

We have been down to Devon a couple of times and recently down to Brighton without any form of stabiliser in tremendously strong winds without a twitch from the caravan but it's been on my mind that we really should have something there.

Looking at the new prices they are up to £300, that's a lot of money, a Bulldog is £140 ish.
Then I got thinking, in many years in farming I have pulled many trailers with stamping livestock or heavy machinery with Land Rovers and Range Rovers and not had any form of damper on the trailer and never had any trouble, fast forward to the Brighton run and that was a seriously windy day and again not a twitch.
Are they really necessary?
Hopefully I haven't cursed myself!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
They are not necessary and more importantly, they are not an anti-snaking device. They do though damp minor movements both in swaying and pitching so make for a more relaxed towing experience.

AlKo's ATC is an active anti-snaking device that exploits the van's brakes to drag a veering van back into line behind the towing vehicle.
These are complementary to using the miscalled "stabilisers".

The Al-Ko hitch you described is just a lot more user friendly solution than the Scott and Bull-dog offerings of yesteryear; no better or worse functionally IMO.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Stabilisers are like insurance - don't need it 99% of the time but there when needed. Personally I think the old blade Bulldog type was rather better at controlling pitching - just a lot less convenient to use.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Stabilisers are like insurance - don't need it 99% of the time but there when needed. Personally I think the old blade Bulldog type was rather better at controlling pitching - just a lot less convenient to use.
oh how I do agree, but convenient No, for a start the ball has to be kept white glove clean or it contaminates the pads, may need a new ball [depends on the tow bar] which has to have all the paint removed, the 130type does not assist pitching, unlike the blade, the mechanism jams up, making unhitching impossible, and if you have just reversed it wont unhitch until you pull forwards and take the strain off the ball. don't ask how I know!! .

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Pulling livestock you will be driving with due care , anything less could mean dead stock. I have seen a Disco on its roof with a site compressor resting on top of it after things got out of hand.
As to the effectiveness of the Alko stabiliser, I had the hitch head off mine so I could change the damper. I put the head on the ball hitch and using a length of scaffold tube tried moving the head around, I did , with much difficulty. They would be of benefit on agri trailers too but with different vehicles swapping trailers would soon see the pads contaminated.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Stabilisers are a form of insurance as stated earlier. It cannot be ascertained just how effective they are for any given outfit but they do offer a level of protection and are worthwhile.
we have the hitch stabiliser and on Monday I managed to forget to clamp it down when leaving a site. The caravan was still easily under control but you could tell the difference immediately so it clearly does its job.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having been 'at it' since 1967 and an Engineer to boot, I too wonder about 'stabilisers' - but not for long.
At best they increase the speed at which you get into trouble - perhaps to a higher value than you feel comfortable with and thus, arguably, do their job.

Stability comes from a good match of caravan weight to tow car weight, loading the caravan correctly to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible - i.e. heavy stuff on the floor not in the overhead lockers, getting the noseweight about right bearing in mind the limit of the car towbar but usually in the range 65 to 100 kg. and keeping the heavy stuff on the floor as near the caravan axle as possible, not sticking more heavy stuff right at the back to get the nose weight ' right'. Imagine looking down from above on the caravan. Putting heavy stuff fully forward and fully back will create a 'dumbell' effect which will magnify any swaying that might happen.(AkA increase the moment of inertia to get technical).
Stabilisers can only dampen, i.e. reduce the sway effect not prevent it. The modern ATC trailer controls do virtually the same thing by applying the brakes selectively to minimise sway or snaking, but to operate they must first detect snaking, so if you can avoid it in the first place they are unnecessary ( and being caravan standard electronics are something else to go wrong).
Back in the 60's we had CC/RAC Road Rallies ending with caravan racing on Silverstone Club Circuit. As a marshal I never saw any serious lateral instability at lap speeds approaching 75 mph. OK there were a few caravans on their sides but due to over-exuberant cornering rather than to snaking.
You can see pictures of such racing on CC website archives; drivers included mainly amateurs but also the likes of Anne Hall and Pat Moss Carlson ( who did not win, incidentally)

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Many years ago I was in the back seat of our family car when my Mum turned the caravan and the car on their sides due to snaking. It was incidentally the first and only time that she towed the c-van. Being and airframes engineer my Dad rebuilt the caravan, it took a year but he did it. Anyway he also built a stabiliser to prevent this from happening again and the key thing is that they don’t actively stabilise anything, they dampen the movement to stop the car and trailer from oscillating.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
And I bet it was well sealed, knowing the sealants we use in the Aviation trade. Being a retired Helicopter Engineer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts