Caravan battery / mover

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This morning my caravan been at my caravan repairer one of the front windows had to come out the laminate needed bonding it done now but when i brought it back to the caravan storage my motor mover was playing up . so i change the batteries in the remote and now took of the caravan battery off and very heavy lucky for me someone gave me a lift to the car and found it was flat so now on charge overnight. . I am finding caravans always need something doing .

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This morning my caravan been at my caravan repairer one of the front windows had to come out the laminate needed bonding it done now but when i brought it back to the caravan storage my motor mover was playing up . so i change the batteries in the remote and now took of the caravan battery off and very heavy lucky for me someone gave me a lift to the car and found it was flat so now on charge overnight. . I am finding caravans always need something doing .
It’s a bit worrying that your caravan battery has suddenly lost charge such that it won’t operate the mover. Was it okay when you used the mover to take your caravan to the repairer? How old is the battery. Did you check that the terminals were tight and the cables tight within the terminals?

Reactions: Beachball
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Yep, always something.
Following all my repairs last week we now have a kitchen tap that is leaking around the swivel bit, so something else for me to do when we are on holiday

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It’s a bit worrying that your caravan battery has suddenly lost charge such that it won’t operate the mover. Was it okay when you used the mover to take your caravan to the repairer? How old is the battery. Did you check that the terminals were tight and the cables tight within the terminals?
Hi Clive the battery only one year old but in the last couple days i have been using the mover more but taking the battery of the caravan the terminals were tight had trouble with them , but today me and wife are taking the van to him he can put the battery back on and check the mover is working okay

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yep, always something.
Following all my repairs last week we now have a kitchen tap that is leaking around the swivel bit, so something else for me to do when we are on holiday
Sounds like you are handy with your hands fixing things but me it no no unless it cooking food .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BB, The mover once going doesn’t use much power. When were you last hooked up-to an EHU? Has anything been left on in error, eg fridge light etc, radio.?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive the battery only one year old but in the last couple days i have been using the mover more but taking the battery of the caravan the terminals were tight had trouble with them , but today me and wife are taking the van to him he can put the battery back on and check the mover is working okay
You really do have an excellent caravan technician to be able to use him at short notice for jobs as they arise. My guy was too quality but fully booked up a long while ahead.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
A mover does normally need a larger sized battery and you do not say what you have so perhaps that could be the problem if you have a lower power one and have used it a lot. They do not use a lot of power when moving but need a lot more when restarting or on slopes so the problem may be down to restarting or a slope if that is relevant. I would suggest a low power solar panel say 20 w would help to keep the battery charged when stored.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You really do have an excellent caravan technician to be able to use him at short notice for jobs as they arise. My guy was too quality but fully booked up a long while ahead.
Hi Clive he very busy but i always send a text on his mobile to check it okay been there this morning battery back on fully charge .and mover is spot on.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB, The mover once going doesn’t use much power. When were you last hooked up-to an EHU? Has anything been left on in error, eg fridge light etc, radio.?
Hi Dusty The break at York roughly two weeks ago but for the past five days been using the motor mover more then usual , When i check the control panel and fridge everything is off but .the only thing that keep going is the dealer fitted Alarm

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It must be flat battery month. Stupidly I forgot to switch off the 12v as my whole routine was thrown out when car and caravan had to be uplifted. Anyway towed the caravan up to Lutterworth and voltage went from 10.2v back up to 11.8v. I had to use jump leads from the Jeep to the caravan battery to lower the legs.
Anyway connected up to mains and next day reading was in excessive of 13.5v. Yesterday with hot sun it was reading 14.4v at 12.30pm. Today caravan is in storage and reading 12.8v at 4.40am this morning. seems that AGM batteries recover better than Lead acid.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It must be flat battery month. Stupidly I forgot to switch off the 12v as my whole routine was thrown out when car and caravan had to be uplifted. Anyway towed the caravan up to Lutterworth and voltage went from 10.2v back up to 11.8v. I had to use jump leads from the Jeep to the caravan battery to lower the legs.
Anyway connected up to mains and next day reading was in excessive of 13.5v. Yesterday with hot sun it was reading 14.4v at 12.30pm. Today caravan is in storage and reading 12.8v at 4.40am this morning. seems that AGM batteries recover better than Lead acid.
Did the Italian tune up improve the cars performance and get rid of dead spot feeling?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Did the Italian tune up improve the cars performance and get rid of dead spot feeling?
I can only dream. I have now booked the car into the Jeep dealer that we have used previously due to the nature of the fault as the loss of power can be frightening on motorway especially after the car went totally dead on us..
The EML came on after about 40 miles of towing and still the loss of power and then surging. I had filled up with premium fuel at eye watering cost. Next day EML was off and never came back on for return trip.
More concerned about loss of power and surging than anything else because it is so intermittent. Don't want to trade it in with the fault in case it happens to someone endangering their lives.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Snap. I book my chap one year in advance. One off jobs minimum 3 months wait. But he is one of Wiltshire’s best 😎😎
BB you may be better off playing with one of these 😜😜
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8863232?clickPR=plp:2:43

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Snap. I book my chap one year in advance. One off jobs minimum 3 months wait. But he is one of Wiltshire’s best 😎😎
BB you may be better off playing with one of these 😜😜
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8863232?clickPR=plp:2:43
Yes for services I would book 12 months ahead and the intervening six monthly damp check. He would also squeeze his regular customers in for pre planned jobs. Fortunately I never had any short notice “ breakdown “ jobs and most other things I did myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts