caravan canopy/awning

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
we are going down to the ardeche this year camping les ranchises,we have a big caravan ace equerry twin wheel ,we have 3 children we are not sure if we should take are fiamma sun canopy or our full awning,my wife thinks we should just take the canopy as hopefully it will be hot.has any body been to this area and does it get very windy as this is one of the things that put me of the canopysas opposed to the awning.perhaps someone might have been to the les ranchises and would know if it is sheltered.i must admit the canopy would be a lot easier as we have a couple of stopovers and it would save on space and weight.we go to france every year but have always taken a awning but we changed van this year and bought the fiamma caravenstore zip to go with it but ended up buying a full awning as well as we missed the size and having that extra space which you may need when on holiday in this country as the weather doesnt always let you sit outside.any comments appreciated

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Les Ranchisses is in a steep sided valley - so wind does tend to blow up and down the valley. Like all of France in August you can also get sudden (very heavy) thunderstorms. However, most of the Dutch caravanners we see manage with just the Fiamma type awning (sometimes with side panels in - which will help with the wind). Take advice from the site owners about which way to pitch to avoid wind lifting the canopy and you should be OK. (They both speak good English).

May 27, 2006
Visit site
Ive not been to the Ardeche for a number of years now but remember it for its seeminly endless hours of sunshine and warmth.

If a storm does happen to blow up tho the rain and wind can be quite spectacular. One site we were on was completely wiped out within 2 hours (all tents not vans) but 3 hours into the following morning all was dried out and shipshape again.

The site owners were aware of oncoming problems and ready to take action on our behalf almost instantly.

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
We were at Les ranchisses 3 years ago. It is a really good site, with what I still believe is the best Site Restaurant in any we have eaten in.

It is fairly sheltered, but be prepared for some spectacular thunderstorms in August, we were stranded in the Club one night!!

For that reason alone, I would be tempted to take the awning - we are off to The Lot Valley this year and will do this, rather than risk the Fiamma.

Have a great time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts