Caravan Carpets

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
To save wearing the carpets supplied with my caravan I have bought gel backed carpet from IKEA, cut it to suit and it worked well. I need to replace the carpet after several years use but IKEA doesn't sell this type of carpet any more. Has anybody got a solution?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We just used lay flat cotton mats that could be easily taken out for a shake and were machine washable. Something like these
but we bought ours at a caravan and MH show.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well the carpets that came with our caravan my wife brought 1001 carpet cleaner it brought them up but with two dogs she preferred a Dunelm Runner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Our original carpets were not suitable for purpose in a caravan. Shaggy pile which lay flat with walking. Our local carpet shop sold me some hard wearing scrubbable carpet which it says bleach can be used on it, (not tried that). They cut it up using the original for a template. Then bound the edges. Very happy with the result.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I went to a local carpet dealer, bought some cheap off cut, £70 enough for me to cover the whole caravan twice , lasts normally 3 years so two lots £35 a year. Looks better than the original carpets, No missing bits vacums easilly when we sell the caravan Immaculate original carpets for the new owners, maybe next year.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We just have a runner down the length of the van but its a nuisance as it keeps moving. When pennies have accumulated enough we plan to get some carpet tiles and cover the whole floor area.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We just have a runner down the length of the van but its a nuisance as it keeps moving. When pennies have accumulated enough we plan to get some carpet tiles and cover the whole floor area.

Get the anti slip mat stuff from Dunelm. We have some under a long runner on a conservatory hard floor. Doesn’t move an inch.
This stuff

Mel

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Who needs carpets when entering from a muddy field in England or from the heat of Southern Europe!
No carpets saves around 7kg and cleaning the floor so simple.
If pressed may leave the small section between the beds!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I bought a couple of washable bath mats in a B&M store (like the striped “Newbury” currently on offer at £4) for the lounge area and washroom, soft on the feet and of course get popped in the washing machine at home after trips to freshen up. Placed on top of the 3 section original fitted carpets. Cheap and practical!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We paid for the carpets so we use them. See no point in storing them in the attic for the next owner. If anyone is worried about 7kg then maybe they need another caravan with a larger payload or take less away in the caravan! :D

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The first caravan we had with three piece removable fitted carpets was in 2005, and our first action was to take them out, and did likewise thereafter. Having the wood effect vinyl floor plus loose cotton mats meant we could keep the van clean, and defeat the worst excesses of grandkids and “ mud magnet” spaniels. When touring it was much easier to whip out the carpets for a shake and brush, and brush the floor. On arrival home the mats went into the washing machine and the floor given a good mopping. All so much more convenient and hygienic for us as we tended to be out and about in the countryside when on site.

I even do the same for the car. Rubber mats fitted and OEM in the loft.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Get the anti slip mat stuff from Dunelm. We have some under a long runner on a conservatory hard floor. Doesn’t move an inch.
This stuff

Mel

Thanks Mel, but even with that we're not overly keen on just a runner and would prefer 'wall to wall' coverage.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts