caravan club credit card

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How many of you have just had notification that the caravan club credit card is now changing hands to Morgan Stanley and not realised that Euro transactions are no longer commission free? Why did we choose it - because we wouldn't be charged extra abroad - Why will we be getting rid of it - because in the small print they have increased the cost. BEWARE

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kate,

I have just received the same notification as you, and will be taking the same action.

I am going to 'look at' the Nationwide card which also provides commission free foreign transactions. See http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/ClassicCard/default.htm.

Enjoy your hols.

Trevor M.

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
Liverpool Victoria wrote to me this month with a months notice of cancellation for my Caravan Club credit card due to a 'change of policy' for non residents.

They also reduced my limit to 900 pounds and even had the cheek to surcharge me for exceeding my new limit last month before they had even written.

They don't bother to reply to my email of complaint, so I guess I will just have to cancel the direct debit instruction and deduct it from my final payment.

Lousy treatment and it will cost the club a member, as it was the main reason we continued our membership when we moved to France.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Typical of the banking industry - get the punters in with cheap rates or high interest then fleece em, or in this case flog them to the highest bidder.

Will the CC continue with Frizzle? probably as they are getting some of the action - should be known as fiddle I rekon!.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have written to the CC,asking them WHY they are changing their credit card managers from Frizzell to morgan stanley ?

From what i have read i cant see any advantage to caravan club credit card holders from this change .

When or if i get a reply from them i will post it on this forum .

The caravan club seems to be loosing its way of late in particular the monthly magazine which is making so many mistakes that it is devoting half a page to correcting the mistakes .

I notice that the inefectual editor Barry Williams is moving upstairs but he is to be replaced by one of his mates ,so dont expect any fireworks or dinamic shift in the mediocre jounalism to be found at present .

May be the change of card managers it is part of the demutualisation of the caravan club and morgan stanley are to act for them in the capacity of merchant banker ???.

Wouldnt it be nice If someone from the caravan club who may read my speculations could take the time to wise us all up as to what is going on . Coljac

Aug 1, 2006
Visit site
The CC have not changed suppliers for credit cards, in fact Liverpool Victoria (who bought Frizzell several years ago and now only run it as a brand) have actually 'sold' all there credit card accounts to Morgan Stanley. The CC may well now review the credit card and could potentially change supplier if they want a better deal for thier members

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
It is amazing how, because people do not read the information supplied what conclusions they can arrive at.

There is nothing more than Liverpool Victoria selling their company to Morgan Stanly.

If you do not like the changed conditions do not blame the caravan club, Just do what I will do.

Wait untill the end of September, stop using the card in Europe, then an NOTIFY them of the reason. It is unfortunatly the only way to hit back.

So far as the club is concerned they would be wise to find another card provider to offer as good or better terms. For The Benifit Of Their Members!!!!!

ttfn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The CC have not changed suppliers for credit cards, in fact Liverpool Victoria (who bought Frizzell several years ago and now only run it as a brand) have actually 'sold' all there credit card accounts to Morgan Stanley. The CC may well now review the credit card and could potentially change supplier if they want a better deal for thier members
Thats not what they said in their letter to me .They stated that [the transfere to morgan stanley was done to maintain the high standards and benefits for the members].

When i spoke to frizzell I asked them if they had sold out to morgan stanley and they stated that they had not and this was a decision of the caravan club .There does seem to be some confusion here Coljac

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is amazing how, because people do not read the information supplied what conclusions they can arrive at.

There is nothing more than Liverpool Victoria selling their company to Morgan Stanly.

If you do not like the changed conditions do not blame the caravan club, Just do what I will do.

Wait untill the end of September, stop using the card in Europe, then an NOTIFY them of the reason. It is unfortunatly the only way to hit back.

So far as the club is concerned they would be wise to find another card provider to offer as good or better terms. For The Benifit Of Their Members!!!!!

ttfn
I agree with you entirely Coljac

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I wrote as below to the CC and received the reply detailed.

Dear Sir/Madam

I received notification from yourselves and Liverpool Victoria about the change of ownership of the credit card and feel that there are some points which should be brought to every ones attention. The covering letter gives the impression that it is a straight forward transfer of the current benefits but it isn't. The new card charges a whopping 2.75% on all European transactions compared to the 0% on the old card.

This information is on the new terms and conditions leaflet but the print is challenging to all but those with 20:20 vision.

I think clarification is due on the " free site night " vouchers too. As the season comes to an end will vouchers change at some stage and be valid until the end of 2007 ?

I have to say that, if the only benefit is a free site night for every

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use a Goldfish card abroad, and occasionally a Barclaycard. The latter shows an amount of commission for each transaction, but the Goldfish doesn't. Goldfish gave us better rates (around 1.43) than the alleged commission free cash we bought from Lloyds TSB. We have used Goldfish abroad for years now, and have no complaints about the exchange rate.

You don't get something for nothing in this life. I suspect that many of the so-called commission free credit cards simply offer a less favourable exchange rate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Civil service motoring Association have a similar card to Caravan Club, also from Frizzell and also just changed over to Morgan Stanley with loss of benefits. With this one the commission free feature now only applies within EEC and it is fairly obvious that this too will stop in due course.

I agree you only get what you pay for, but I do actually pay for the CSMA card (but not for much longer).

On the side issue, the CC magazine looks as if it is going the same way as the CSMA magazine Motoring and leisure which is now little more than a sheaf of advertisments and a few car reviews of the "Excellent car but needs more cup holders" type rather than anything useful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All, Just got back from an extended break after the bank holiday and I am going through the mail. I opened the letter from Frizzel and I eventually found the section about the foreign use commission hidden in the small print.

OK I thought it's back to the Nationwide for the next trip, thats my choice.

The next thing I opened was the CC mag and I was disgusted to see that the card is still advertised with 0% commission. I realise that the mag was probably ready for production some weeks ago but I do not believe that the CC would not know about this important change to the credit card that has their name on it.

The change to Morgan Stanley is suposed to be for the benefit of the members, I think not!

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
I see that the 0% for Europe is still on the Club web site today, but you are not able to apply for the card just now as the site is being updated.

I again emailed Frizzell today to complain about the lack of response I mentioned before. I was quite surprised to receive a phone call half an hour later. Very apologetic and of course the wrongly charged over limit charge would be credited immediately. Maybe saying I was cancelling my direct debit got them moving.

The woman I spoke to definitely said the Caravan Club was moving it to Morgan Stanley and it wasn't their doing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This move of card supplier is maybe why the free night vouchers given to promote the use of Caravan Club credit cards expire on 31st Dec 2006

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts