caravan club getting expensive

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dusty,
The one I have is 12kg. It comes with proper mounting kit etc. I have it fitted by Panelworks at Bawtry who really know their trade and how to install one properly! I really believe that these panels, once fitted, offer us a real alternative. Thats all I was trying to say!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Merve said:
Hi Parksy,

.............. Firstly, this was about the cost of caravanning, not a squabble about SPs against hook up. I simply gave an alternative to what most people, me included accept as the norm. ............... The reason I bought a large panel was because of lower light levels in winter. it still has the capacity to charge two professional batteries to max even in winter and I have installed it so that the system can be expanded. It really thumps the charge in in the sunshine whether winter or summer, a fridge can be run on 12v in a caravan but only if you are charging the batteries at the same time as you are when you are travelling! It is, a top quality panel, not some chinese import for a 100 quid. You get what you pay for. ............
Who'se squabbling?
I've roof mounted and hard wired my own 80 watt monocrystaline solar system which was also done so that it can be added to, so I am fully aware of the alternatives and we agree on most points.

Your earlier point about running the fridge using 12volt created the impression that this could be done when the caravan is pitched which realistically is not the case, lpg bottled gas is used when the caravan is disconnected from the tow vehicle. No matter how good your solar array might be any leisure battery would soon be discharged if a fridge was continually run using the battery.
Fridges use power at night when no solar charge is available
smiley-wink.gif

Almost ALL solar panels on sale in the UK are 'cheap Chinese imports', we all like to imagine that ours is superior but the premium price buys exactly the same product, only the retailers profit margin varies significantly.
One of my neighbours is employed in selling and leasing domestic solar systems and he explained to me that most if not all UK suppliers import container loads of cheap solar panels, all from the Far East.
Solar panels are a cheap product.
The only sure way to improve the performance of a solar panel, no matter whether it cost £100 or £400, would be to use high quality automotive cable with a gauge thick enough to minimise voltage drop over the length of the circuit and to use a top quality solar voltage regulator.
As I'm sure that you are aware Merve, there are three types of solar voltage regulators (often called charge controllers).
There are simple shunt controllers which are either ON or OFF, prehistoric by todays standards.
Commonly used by caravanners is the PWM (pulse width modulator) charge controller, fairly inexpensive compromise and reasonably efficient and then there are the much more efficient (97%) MTTP (maximum power point tracking) regulator, significantly more expensive but well worth the cost.
MTTP controllers digitally 'track' the voltage requirements of the battery, the ambient temperature and the available power source (light) and deliver the highest possible amperage to the leisure battery according to the tracked parameters.
Solar panels are significantly more efficient in cooler temperatures but if a photovoltaic cell is obscured by night time darkness, mist, rain, snow or frost it ceases to produce any voltage which is why solar panels are not great during a UK winter.
The PV (solar panel) can be nothing more than a sheet of flexible plastic containing solar cells ( often manufactured in the Far East, these amorphous panels are becoming much less expensive therefore are often fitted to boats, motorhomes and now caravans), it is the charge controller that does the work and the better the controller the more efficient the system.
Swift Caravans have finally begun to embrace solar technology, a small solar panel for battery charging whilst in storage is now fitted to many of their 2013 models.
I think that the third type of panel which you couldn't rememer might be Amorphous, this technology is currently slightly more expensive that mono or poly chrystalline photovoltaic cells (but the price will fall over time) and is used mainly in the production of flexible panels.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
How many CLs have hardstandings so that you are not up to your knees in mud? This summer has really changed our minds about using CLs. We had to abandone done last Wednesday because there was that much water and mud in the awning it just was nto enjoyable.
We can live with rain etc but when the water doesn't drain off the field it becomes unpleasant and as a result it seems pointless even to consider purchasing a solar panel as it takes years to recoup your money.
Parksy was kind enough to show us how he fitted his solar panel, but I still baulk at the idea of drilling into the roof od the caravan especially a newish one. This leaves the question of what to do with the solar panel when you are out and about and it is not fixed to the caravan?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When my solar panel was freestanding I used to chain and padlock it to the corner steady above the bracing strut so that it couldn't be released by raising the steady.
I baulked at the idea of drilling a hole into the roof of our caravan using a hole cutter as well
smiley-frown.gif

I did lots of research, asked advice from Swift Caravans, triple checked everything and used a cable detector inside the caravan just to make sure that I wouldn't cut any electrical cables, and all was well.
When the hole in the roof above the wardrobe was done I used a cable grommet, plenty of sealant and a watertight cable housing fitted with proper cable entry glands (also filled with sealant just in case) which made for a neat and completely waterproof finish.
Back on topic we use certified sites and attend rallies more than main club sites and the poor wet summer has meant that we haven't done as much touring this year.
Rather than be in mud and rain we'd prefer to stay at home and just get away in better weather. I hope that we have a much drier summer next year.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
We have just done a music festival with Mr.Lightpole and had an 80 watt panel that we put on the roof with a folding ladder.It came direct from China for £200 including conroller and 3mtres of cable.We bought 6 meters of 4mm cable from Roadpro in Daventry and was amazed at the extra weight compared with the flimsy stuff that came with it.The battery was completely fully charged (have fitteda digital voltmeter) by lunchtime and the only thing we did without was microwave.With an expected life of 20 years it will probably see us out and be part of the kids inheritance so money well spent.

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Prof,
You are quite right to baulk at holes in roof sheets of caravans - newish or not. It is imperative to get it done properly by someone who knows what they are doing. Parksy used a waterproof grommet. This is definately one of the criterior you need to fit the panel properly. The job can be done and the roof sealed permanently without problems, after all, dozens of us are driving around with these panels on top. Thats why I will take mine to a recognised caravan repairer (by the insurance companies) to carry out the work. Good luck.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Merve said:
Prof,
You are quite right to baulk at holes in roof sheets of caravans - newish or not. It is imperative to get it done properly by someone who knows what they are doing. Parksy used a waterproof grommet. This is definately one of the criterior you need to fit the panel properly. The job can be done and the roof sealed permanently without problems, after all, dozens of us are driving around with these panels on top. Thats why I will take mine to a recognised caravan repairer (by the insurance companies) to carry out the work. Good luck.
I used a grommet mainly to ensure that there is no possibility of the cable chafing against the sides of the hole, it should not alone be relied upon to remain watertight.
For the benefit of anyone who is competent to do so and who is considering carrying out their own installation, apart from the grommet which can be bought from any hardware store I used a twin gland shroud, Click Here to see an example.
The grommet, shroud and adjustable solar panel mounting frame were bonded using Sikaflex 512 and the panel is fastened to the frame using stainless steel non slip fixings so that it could be removed and transferred to a different caravan if I ever decided to change mine.
If anyone is unsure about 12 volt installation or installing the panel it would certainly be a good idea to get an approved caravan workshop or a qualified mobile engineer to carry out the work, it should take them less than 2½ hours.
Deli Dave_ said:
We have just done a music festival with
Mr.Lightpole and had an 80 watt panel that we put on the roof with a
folding ladder.It came direct from China for £200 including conroller
and 3mtres of cable.We bought 6 meters of 4mm cable from Roadpro in
Daventry and was amazed at the extra weight compared with the flimsy
stuff that came with it.The battery was completely fully charged (have
fitteda digital voltmeter) by lunchtime and the only thing we did
without was microwave.With an expected life of 20 years it will probably
see us out and be part of the kids inheritance so money well spent.
Dave, my battery was showing 14.5 volts just before we left but as is always the way the sun was shining brightly when it was time to go home
smiley-undecided.gif

The ticket price for the three day festival including 5 nights caravan / camping has risen to £190 for 2013, we bought our tickets last week.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts