caravan club insurance

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
just tried to insure my caravan with the caravan club,gave a guy called William my quote number and says no problem,then he asks for my membership no tell him not a member,he then says cant insure me because I have to be a member to take insurance out but they are happy to quote non members,what a waste of time.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Not sure how you think it a waste of time. The clue is in the name, Caravan CLUB Insurance. Probably assumed you were a member when you asked for a quote. For what it costs to join, given the network of sites and Cl's you would have access to, it has to be considered worth the money. As it happens, you will find far cheaper Insurance elsewhere, the CLUB insurance is probably one of the most expensive, but then you get what you pay for. The proof is in the pudding if unfortunately you need to make a claim.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
andynwas said:
The point I am making is why quote for non members and then say you need to be a member to take the quote

The fact that he asked for your membership number rather than ask IF you were a member would suggest that because you asked for a quote from a members only insurance service, he assumed you were a member. He wasn't wasting your time, you were wasting his.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The policy is a service for members but some of the advertising might be a bit misleading. We do have our caravan insured with them and although they are a bit more expensive they are very good and that is what you need if things go wrong. It is no good saving £30 on a premium if you lose hundreds when you claim.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I think you'll find that Camping & Caravan Club do insure non-members but the discount for members more than pays for the years mebership. It's also quite a bit cheaper than CC insurance. Bit of club competition methinks ;-)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As a member of both clubs I did get a lower quote this year from the C&CC but the CC service did mean I stuck with them but if the difference gets any larger then I might be tempted to move.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We insure both caravan and car through the Caravan Club they may be a bit more money but their services are exceptional. If you claim it is all cleared in a couple of days to go ahead with repairs.

DianneT

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
andynwas said:
The point I am making is why quote for non members and then say you need to be a member to take the quote

I agree- if it's not open to non members that should be clear.

I didn't check whether I had to be a member of the AA before I got a car insurance quote from them, and nor did I even think to check that there wasn't a problem with the fact I am nether Scottish nor a Widow when I set my pension up.

Don't worry though, you've saved a packet by not using them. Not sure any of the speculation regarding cover quality or willingness to pay out have been substantiated in any way that would justify the price premium for me. Trading on a name, in my view.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It's difficult to substantiate on a public forum but I tend to believe the long standing forum members who have reported on claims they have made. ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CC generate a substantial income from the Insurance schemes.
They share that income with the Broker Devitt.
The Panel of Insurers do very well too with quite a low loss ratio.

So will they prejudice that business by being tough on claims?
I think not.

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
With premiums like they charge I am not surprised in the least that they generate a substantial income. That doesn't carry with it any implication of generous claims handling - quite the reverse, one could suggest, given how competitive the insurance industry is.

All that has been presented so far is unsubstantiated qualitative speculation - but anyone who wants to go for it is entitled to of course.

Once there are some published figures available on claim rates and pay rates per claim there may be some basis for a proper assessment on the worth of the additional premium charged vs more competitively priced cover.

For me though a policy is a policy and it has specific wording and conditions. If you have a claim that meets the published criteria and behave in the manner specified, there is no goodwill involved- the insurer will pay or be hauled up in front of the ombudsman. If you don't have a claim that meets the agreed criteria or you behave inappropriately, then I suggest you'd be on a long shot relying on the goodwill of the underwriters of the CC policies paying out - no insurer tends to pay non-claims.

But all of this is off topic. The OP was annoyed that the requirement of being a member was not made clear at the outset, and I rather see his point!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jules
The reality is there have been complaints against Insurers yet over the years
the general concensus is a good service from the Club's schemes.
There is an insurer who technically and strictly interpreted their t&cs. Many complained about them and even today we are not allowed to mention their name.
The Ombudsman supported this insurer even though their decisions were harsh
technically correct.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I have no particular information on the COMPETITIVENESS of the CC insurance, but I received my renewal notice today, and the price is EXACTLY the same as last year.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can , from personal experience of claiming, quite clearly state that the Caravan Club insurance is by far the best available, albeit at a slightly higher premium, but without ridiculous security clauses like the van being wheel locked when stopping for more than an hour, or the use of both hitchlock and wheel lock.

I have had 3 claims over a period of time and on each occasion the claim has been dealt with and the van repaired within a week.
The last claim I had was for a full new side to my van, and the claim was agreed on the phone as I spoke to the Insurers.

I know the company Dustydog refers to and it is true, they have an appalling record of dealing with claims, but we are not allowed to name them as they have stated that ANY mention of them will result in legal action being taken.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We use the CC insurance as although more expensive they do cover me where my caravan is stored.
Every year year the other big players say they can beat the insurance quote only to be told they will not cover me as my caravan is not behind locked gates.
Some of what the others specify ie both wheel locks on when on site etc, not covered if only one fitted aren't realistic for me.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Out of my price range I'm afraid, but I have had excellent service including a major claim on my agreed value policy from brokers Caravan Rescue Insurance.Been with them over twenty years now, and saved a fortune over CC premium.
But, as in all things, the man who pays the money makes the choice!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Possibly I could GG, but the company is run by a personal friend, so a bit of loyalty comes into it as well.
Saving money is not a priority,, but I fail to see the sense in paying more for the same thing!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
emmerson said:
Possibly I could GG, but the company is run by a personal friend, so a bit of loyalty comes into it as well.
Saving money is not a priority,, but I fail to see the sense in paying more for the same thing!

I tend to agree with you on this, but all too often policies are not exactly the same, and for many its amount of hassle involved with a claim, and this is where the CC and others do seem to perform better.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
emmerson said:

I tend to agree with you on this, but all too often policies are not exactly the same, and for many its amount of hassle involved with a claim, and this is where the CC and others do seem to perform better.

Both my neighbour and I have made claims, and mine was settled (and repaired) in three weeks, and my neighbours write-off cheque was received in five weeks.I don't think anyone could beat that, no matter how much they paid!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts