Caravan Club Loose Braithwait Fold

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The CC have now taken Braithwait Fold site off the list of sites with Immediate effect. This site was in the heart of the Lake District in Bowness almost ajacent to lake Windermere. The council, who own the site, have refused the CC's offer for renewing the contract. Along with Coed Helen at Carnavon thats two gone. They give no other details but it makes me wonder how much the owners where now expecting from the club for the continued sites?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Now it makes some sense, I have also found this, www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/170614/bowness_bay_preferred_options190911.pdf
There is a good plan map of the intended development of the area, page 7 of PDF, which as stated, braithwait fold as a car park with loads of revenue nodoubt.
Bri

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just compared the PDF map to google earth, and it looks like the car parking won't encroach on the former CC site.
So it remaines to be seen just what will happen to this site?

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site

If thats the case good news for all then
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
CHESHIRECAT said:

If thats the case good news for all then
smiley-smile.gif
Great that a site will still be available, sorry to say that C&CC are not my favourite what with two night min. booking on a lot of sites ( maybe all ? ) Staff are all fine as in my experience are CC staff.
Note the council brief states to achieve max. occupancy ? ever tried to book B.Fold under C.C. ?
Am I wrong to see £££'s in the deal ?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't think the CC has a good record for re-negotiating leases at caravan sites where it doesn't own the freehold - they've lost a few over the years which subsequently carried on as caravan sites under different management - they also have a number on very short leases because they can't reach agreement for a longer deal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suspect the real issue is that the lease offered by the Council is too short for the Caravan Club. Assuming the £300000 lease is the cost for 5 years that loads a premium of around a £1000 per pitch per year. If they then wanted to improve the facilities that figure would easily be doubled. They likely thought that it was not worth the investment for such a short lease.

David

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
From the figures on the above document it looks like they are valuing the pitches at £1000 per year per pitch. They are going have to get pretty good occupancy to cover that sort of cost plus overheads.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
RogerL said:
I don't think the CC has a good record for re-negotiating leases at caravan sites where it doesn't own the freehold - they've lost a few over the years which subsequently carried on as caravan sites under different management - they also have a number on very short leases because they can't reach agreement for a longer deal.
Perhaps they won't be held to ransom at a price they know cannot be made without large site fees, or subsidies. Perhaps they are sensibly looking after members interests?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If the CC had refurbished to site, they'd increase the prices up to the top tier - they just love spending members' money.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, with a potential 102630 nights, that's 311 days per year x 5yrs x 66pitches, at full occupancy, most unlikely. With a wage bill of say £500000, Wardens +Assistant Wardens, don't know if they get free Electric ETC ETC, over 5 years that's approx £7.79 per night + whatever the rates and electric etc costs. I wonder who is responsible for upgrades, repairs etc as it is a Managed site? Obviously the CC didn't think it a viable concern as they would have known prior to the contract renewal just how much they where making / loosing from the site. Still just as long as it's still available at reasonable cost and it is the Friendly Club, I may have to join!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bri

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
RogerL said:
If the CC had refurbished to site, they'd increase the prices up to the top tier - they just love spending members' money.
Obviously they don't or they would still have the contract1
If they issue was the length of lease, then CC were denied to opportunity to spend members money - but equally denied the opportunity to take more more off them in future years.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tend to agree with the comment that 5 years doesn't seem long enough to recover any capital investment either club might have wished to make in the site. In terms of thinking about if £300k is a reasonable commercial sum for a club to pay the local council for the priviledge of managing the site for 5 years, well I guess the main driver with that is what the forecasted site utilisation is. The CC will have been aware of what utilisation has been historically and I suspect pitched the price they were prepared to pay accordingly. The C&CC aren't exactly known for throwing money away but clearly out bid the CC, so time will tell who was right !

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
RogerL said:
Nah they prefer to spend member's money on a glitzy ball in London!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Out of curios'ity, I compared a booking of 5 nights I have with the CC at Rowntree Park, York in September with the same dates for Braithwait Fold. Price wise, CC at Rowntree is £101 and CC&C at Braithwait is £110.25 which is also a serviced pitch. So plainly, not much in price difference, just the area and both are popular.

Bri

TRENDING THREADS