Caravan Club Sites, closed season and the wardens.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Bit of an odd question this but I do have good reason to ask. I rang the CC for an answer and simply got "I dont know"

So the question is, if for example a site opens on 1st April for the season, how soon before it opens do the wardens arrive. it stands to reason they will be there before opening day as there will be maintainance to do, and making sure that everything is working as it should, showers to clean and prepare etc.

Anyone have an answer?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
No idea, but if you ring a site that is open at the moment, one of the wardens there will probably be able to tell you. They know more about the day to day running of sites, (and some of them have wardened more than one site), than CMC HQ know.
mel

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi Thingy,
I think their 'I don't Know' answer was quite polite and the very probably the correct answer.
Not all sites are manned over the closed period, some are and some intermittently.
The Club will not have known who you are, from Adam and there is always a security
aspect to your type of question. ( who knows ) and any other answer might invite unwelcome
visitors. Leave until the date that it opens, when business resumes, it cannot be that important.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Montrose, I take your point, but the security doesnt come into it. I have a booking at that site, they have my address and membership number and there was a specific reason for my question to them which they understood and related to my booking. Not only did they not know, but gave me a staggeringly ridiculous answer to the "specific" question. Hence why I am trying to contact the warden for the site.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why you need the answer but they will certainly be there for at least two weeks before the site opens but as there is no need for them to deal with customers they may not be there all day or answer the phone.
I believe some sites have allowed those wanting seasonal pitches in a day early to sort them out before the others start to book in.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi Ray, let me explain. One of the sites we are using for our summer holiday (Devon and Cornwall) isnt open yet. However, we have a family wedding to attend and it would mean me leaving the caravan unattended for two nights. Most sites will allow this for one night but its at the wardens discretion for any longer. We would need to book the hotel now as it is filling up with wedding guests already (booking) but as we are at the wardens discretion for two nights we have a problem. I rang the caravan club and explained that we have a week on the first site, and three on the second, the second being the site in question. I said that as long as we were paying for the full 21 nights and two people, would it matter if we werent there, and we couldnt obviously get hold of the warden to make a decision.

There answer was that "we dont know", but, and get this,
"Its unlikely because it isnt fair on other people who may want to use that pitch."

I cant see where that fits in if the pitch is paid for, its not a lot different if we were out every night until 0200hrs. I could have accepted a straight "no", or "its against the rules", but I thought the reason given was ridiculous. Others may not agree.

I have also spoken to my insurers CC Insurance and they are OK with it too. The only proviso being that the warden is informed so he can keep an eye out.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I understand your wanting to get this sorted. I’ve done similar when we were pitched in Grantown on Spey and decided that we wanted to see the far north. We mentioned it to the site manager and he had no problem with us being absent for two nights. In reality it’s no different to someone having to absent themselves due to a domestic problem that has cropped up. I would go ahead and book the hotel and contact the site when it is open. I’m sure they will be okay with it as they have probably come across it before. After all it’s no different to a mini-seasonal.

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
As a matter of interest; are there people here that solely use the 'club' sites, and nothing else? I ask, due to the OP struggling getting any info from one for a proposed stay. My own solution (if practicable), would be to find an alternative site nearby that could accommodate my needs/answer my questions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As a matter of interest; are there people here that solely use the 'club' sites, and nothing else? I ask, due to the OP struggling getting any info from one for a proposed stay. My own solution (if practicable), would be to find an alternative site nearby that could accommodate my needs/answer my questions.
I am a member of both clubs as I like the sites and access to CL/CS but over the years have also visited commercial sites as these days the quality is good and prices aren’t that dissimilar to club sites.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thingy, I take the point of the enquiry. If this is a site that is unlikely to be booked up at that time I would hope that they would allow this as it means more money for the site, but if it is likely to be booked up then there is some justification in saying no. Personaly I would probably book the pitch and then see what the warden says. If the site is not full there will be no loss, if it is likely to be, then someone should get the pitch with a late booking after you cancel. Either way the club does not lose out,

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
I am a member of both clubs as I like the sites and access to CL/CS but over the years have also visited commercial sites as these days the quality is good and prices aren’t that dissimilar to club sites.

Very true nowadays. I was only a member of the C&CC for access to the CS's. Very rarely if ever using the main sites (for the record, one of our worst stays ever was at a big C&CC site). But the times i have rolled up to a CS and offered my mem. no. to be told ....'its ok, we don't really bother'. So this year, we are trying it 'club free' to see how we fare. And only getting an ACSI book for France.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As OC we are members of both clubs purely for cl/cs sites, which we are starting to use less as there are excellent comercial sites with better facilities for us, ie near to pubs,
The front of the Cand MC magazine this month shows Castleton club site, try and book it , almost impossible, due to the clubs policy of "No deposit" just book it 13 months ahead. If you don't turn up no problem, but three hits and your penalised, I believe.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As long as you cancel 72 hours or more before 1200h of your arrival date there are no sanctions. The three hits are for those who cancel inside that time and can have future bookings cancelled. I really dislike the system as it tends to have sites booked Friday-Sunday most intensively which effectively prevents those who cannot book so far ahead making a week or longer. That’s the principal reason we drifted to CL/CS or used CCC or private sites. At least the deposit tends to focus minds a bit.

Reactions: Thingy and Hutch
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Why are you bothering to tell the wardens you wont be there 2 nights-non of their business is it? Van there site paid for. We stay at the Abbey Wood site and everyone sets up and disappears=they use it to go in to London for shows and not everyone wants to come back late at night so stay in town.

Reactions: Mike
May 24, 2014
Visit site
The reason im bothering is that the CAMC insurance are happy to cover the period as long as the warden is informed.

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
Whats the difference between a caravan left on a site unattended all night, and your car left in a pub car-park overnight so you can have a drink?? Who phones the insurance prior to the beano?

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem may be down to the storage conditions. Leaving it one night unattended would not be storage, but they might regard three nights as that. Possibly an interesting question as to when leaving a caravan unattended on a site becomes storage.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I take your point on that Ray. All sites allow one night, club sites that is, providing the warden is informed. Its is for anything longer that his discretion is considered. Niether scenario fits though with somebody breaking down and not making it back to camp.

As for the insurance, if that is a clause within their policy, I dont intend to give them the leeway to refuse in case of a claim. Why would you take the chance?

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
The problem may be down to the storage conditions. Leaving it one night unattended would not be storage, but they might regard three nights as that. Possibly an interesting question as to when leaving a caravan unattended on a site becomes storage.

That would be crazy, and not least bloody expensive 'storage', if they ever thought anyone was 'trying it on'. I mean, who would be the fool paying £20-25 a night for 'storage'?

I think common sense has to be employed. Granted, there isn't too much of this around nowadays, now we are in the realms of 'computer says yes/no' With no-one in officialdom being allowed to think for themselves or make rational decisions anymore.

And to be honest, why would you want to pitch up on a site, then go missing for 2-3 consecutive nights anyway? The odd night 'on the town' maybe. But you may as well pitch up where you have 'eloped' to if its going to be so long.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That would be crazy, and not least bloody expensive 'storage', if they ever thought anyone was 'trying it on'. I mean, who would be the fool paying £20-25 a night for 'storage'?

I think common sense has to be employed. Granted, there isn't too much of this around nowadays, now we are in the realms of 'computer says yes/no' With no-one in officialdom being allowed to think for themselves or make rational decisions anymore.

And to be honest, why would you want to pitch up on a site, then go missing for 2-3 consecutive nights anyway? The odd night 'on the town' maybe. But you may as well pitch up where you have 'eloped' to if its going to be so long.
We left our caravan at Grantown on Spey to travel to the north of Scotland for two night in hotels. We did it on the spur of the moment as the weather was good and why bother hauling a caravan up there just for the small saving in costs. Different if you are planning a tour of the far north. Did it in France too left it in Cantobre for three unscheduled nights on the Mediterranean coast.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't think that leaving your caravan for a couple of nights would be any different from a person who has a seasonal pitch leaving their caravan midweek and using it at weekends.
No services would be connected, the gas would be off so as long as you haven't got an awning that might collapse in bad weather I'd have thought that you'd be ok

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
We left our caravan at Grantown on Spey to travel to the north of Scotland for two night in hotels. We did it on the spur of the moment as the weather was good and why bother hauling a caravan up there just for the small saving in costs. Different if you are planning a tour of the far north. Did it in France too left it in Cantobre for three unscheduled nights on the Mediterranean coast.

Thats fair enough, otherclive. But, it wasn't surreptitious 'storage' as well, was it. You just paid the pitch fee, and ditched the 'van for an impromptu jaunt. I've done it for an odd night. But certainly didn't bother 'asking' the insurance companys permission.

And, i would say your 'van is far safer left on a reasonably populated well run site, than some of the '5-van' sites i have stayed on. Where we have been the only ones in a field with a tap and hook-up, and gone off exploring for maybe 8 hours or more. Anyone could have gone in and swiped our unit. And everything surrounding our stay would have been legal and above board.
Its all a calculated risk. A bit like nailing a £20 note to an obscure telegraph pole, and checking next day to see if it has disappeared.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I take your point on that Ray. All sites allow one night, club sites that is, providing the warden is informed. Its is for anything longer that his discretion is considered. Niether scenario fits though with somebody breaking down and not making it back to camp.

As for the insurance, if that is a clause within their policy, I dont intend to give them the leeway to refuse in case of a claim. Why would you take the chance?

The policy condition requires it to be stored where it is specified in the policy. The problem as I see it is what constitutes storage, unless it is defined in the policy.
As I say one night is not storage, and I doubt two is, but when you get to three it begins to look tricky. If the insurer has said that it is al right provided the warden is aware, then that should be enough, not telling them though might be a problem if something did happen.
The risk is low particularly if the site is busy but you just never know what will happen if you are away.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It is a regular occurance at sites such as Abbey Wood-you pitch up- and plod off into london and stay in a hotel to see a show . We did it for Harry Potter with my daughter. Once back it was interesting watching the site-so many did it with one family disappearing for what seemed like 3 or 4 nights!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts