caravan covers, do i need one?

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
was able to store our new caravan undercover last winter but storage has been reduced and now will keep van at home. just cleaned it inside and out but am concerned about sap, bird poo, green slime etc during winter months. used moisture absorber last year and will again, but have been given conflicting advice re covering from caravan sales people. keen to know what other caravanners recommend. thanks miss ellie

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
I have used a breathable Protec cover for the past two winters with no problems or adverse effects, expensive, but would not be without one now.

I don't know about the cheaper non-tailored ones.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Vernon about the Protec cover. We have just placed an order for a brand new van and will get a new cover for it. After a few years of over-winter protection, knowing that our caravan was clean and safe we would never be without one. We will not go for a cheaper cover as the Protec, not cheap, is superb.

G

After much reading about covers and their pros and cons, I've just ordered our first cover for our first ever caravan too.

It wasn't cheap. 6 to 7 weeks to wait for it. 3 years guarantee. Comes with A frame cover, bag and telescopic poles to help fit it too. Yes, I decided on Protec too. :)

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
Gary

I don't use the poles provided.

Instead I lay the cover on the ground - face down, and roll the sides into the middle, to form a "sausage" with the inside showing. (Careful with grit getting on the cover)

I then use a step ladder and pull the "sausage" up over the centre of the caravan, then unroll the cover down over the sides, then attach the straps.

I find I can do this by myself (on a 470!)

I also lay a strip of large pipe lagging along the centre of the roof under the cover to form a ridge to help water run off.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
About 6 years ago we purchased a new Protec cover for our Eriba Puck, and it fitted perfectly, caused no damage to the van, and we were very happy.

Two years ago we sold the Puck and bought a three berth Eriba Triton, and (as an on-going trial for the Eriba web-forum) bought a generic breathable cover from Towsure.

Aside from the fact that it's not tailored to fit the Eriba, the fabric appears to be a very similar material (probably a copy made in China) and it's kept the new Eriba equally clean.

I have serious doubts that the generic cover will last as long as the Protec - the stitching isn't as good quality as the Protec - but at 1/4 the price, I'd be happy if I need to replace it after only two years

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Miss Ellie,

We have a Protec cover for our caravan and yes as as all the other threads have said the Protec one is the best. Don't buy a cheap one get the best you can afford you won't regret it and it does keep the caravan paintwork in good nick.Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,

I am in the pros of ordering a cover for our 460/4, Question to all you happy owners, when is the right time to fit the cover, does the van have to be completly dry, including the roof before you fit the cover,As my van is a series 5 Ranger with the new flat roof, which seems to collect rain water on the roof where the ridge joint forms to the front panel .

Roystonj

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
Hi All,

I am in the pros of ordering a cover for our 460/4, Question to all you happy owners, when is the right time to fit the cover, does the van have to be completly dry, including the roof before you fit the cover,As my van is a series 5 Ranger with the new flat roof, which seems to collect rain water on the roof where the ridge joint forms to the front panel .

Roystonj
Royston

The caravan doesn't have to be completely dry, as a breathable cover will it to dry afterwards.

As to your flat roof, see my comment about laying a piece (or two) of large foam pipe lagging along the roof. I pass a loop of string through the lagging and over onto the rear grap handles, and secure the front of the string through the Heki rooflight at the front, this holds the lagging in place while unrole the cover.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Had a pro tec cover on my last caravan, and only used it 1 winter. 2 reasons for this

1/ we caravan all year so it was only on for a short time

2/ with the wind buffeting the van there were marks on the windows when it was removed.

It never went back on and we now just give the van a good polish late sept and january and june, with washes in between.

I only commented to the wife how clean the van still is after a month of sitting doing nothing, not even a black streak.

So answer to the question I wouldnt bother

Kevin H

G

I'm starting to wonder myself now too.

I mean, what about if you have a Solar Panel fited to the roof? No good if you have a caravan cover is it?

G

I forgot to mention - for those who haven't got a solar panel OR a caravan cover and thinking about one or the other, I'd probably say go for the solar panel. After all, the cost of a good cover (Protec) would almost be the cost of a good solar panel. And the pont being (as afore-mentioned) a solar panel isn't any use when covered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts