caravan door locks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
On opening our caravan lock after it being stored over the winter, I couldn't open the door lock. Infact the key nearly snapped. Its on a Swift 540 only 2 year old and its a Hartal lock, its very stiff the latch on the inside to open & close also,any suggestions on how to ease the stiffness of the opening and closing or will WD40 do the trick?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem is caused by the inner handle shaft being made of plastic and it rubs against the plastic guide tube it passes through.

It has bene found that the handle shaft can tend to swell a bit causing the stiffness.

A solution is to remove the inner handle (the outer lock will also fall off so be ready to catch it) by removing the red and green screw covers and the moon shaped HARTAL logo screw cover and the 4 screws you wil find inside.

You will find inside that the handle is held in place by a circlip and washer, remove these and pull the handle free.

Use fine wet and dry paper to rub down the shaft as much as needed to allow a smooth free fit and turn.

Apply some silicone grease and reassemble, using the washer and circlip, refit the outer lock mechanism and the inner handle assembly.

The red screw cover is the top screw, green is the lower.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
The problem is caused by the inner handle shaft being made of plastic and it rubs against the plastic guide tube it passes through.

It has bene found that the handle shaft can tend to swell a bit causing the stiffness.

A solution is to remove the inner handle (the outer lock will also fall off so be ready to catch it) by removing the red and green screw covers and the moon shaped HARTAL logo screw cover and the 4 screws you wil find inside.

You will find inside that the handle is held in place by a circlip and washer, remove these and pull the handle free.

Use fine wet and dry paper to rub down the shaft as much as needed to allow a smooth free fit and turn.

Apply some silicone grease and reassemble, using the washer and circlip, refit the outer lock mechanism and the inner handle assembly.

The red screw cover is the top screw, green is the lower.
Thanks Damian,

I got the Hartal piece of in the door, but boy I couln't get the green & red screw covers out unledd empailing myself with a screw driver.How did you get them out ?

May 5, 2005
Visit site
I did mine at weekend and used the point of a stanley knife with great care.There is a spring that returns the latch ,take care not to lose it.Richard at Miriad products sent me a replacement last year but it has gone the same,whether it is the material I dont know but it is a slow job,I started with a file and finished with a strip of wet and dry and then silicon grease

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Denise, I use the pointed awl in a watchmakers set of screwdrivers to ease the red and green covers off, tricky but they will come with care and patience

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Denise,

There is a known manufacturing issue with the manufacturing tolerances on certain Hartal Locks.

Contact Richard Toon at Miriad Products, if yours is faulty he will probably issue a replacement.

This is what happened in my case.

Cheers,

Ron.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Talking to a service guy at my local caravan dealer who indicated that one of the main problems with this type of lock is the key MUST be pushed firmly into the lock before turning. He even had to give it a slight tap before managing to open it in one case.

Sep 7, 2007
Visit site
not certain but believe swift ace explorer group had a faulty batch of door locks im at presnt waiting for a new one to come to the dealers so they can change mine

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I,m trying to remove the green and red covers but with no success. Tried with a small screwdriver and as suggested, a stanley knife but just seem to be cutting into the plastic. Surely they should just pop out when levered. If I need to cut out the covers, is it easy to get replacements?

If locks as seems are malfunctioning within a couple of years, its time the makers fitted a different system.

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Janet.

You will be lucky to remove them without damage. I had to use a very sharp 4" nail which I dug in and forced it out. They are available from a good dealer.

This lock is a disaster and so many have had problems with it and a great number have been replaced by dealers. I should have shouted when mine went wrong but didn't and resolved it myself however. it still sticks now and then and is probably due for another course of treatment. I think Swift should have instigated a recall. Beware Hartel in future.

Good luck. JTS.

Good luck. JTS

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Bit worried now, just bought a Ace Firestar with Hartel lock, no problems as of yet but may get the same issue shortly.

Does anyone know best course of action for prevention.

NGH

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
Bit worried now, just bought a Ace Firestar with Hartel lock, no problems as of yet but may get the same issue shortly.

NGH
HGH. Don,t worry it would seem most caravan manufacturers use Hartal door locks, I've a bailey Pageant and as sated earlier am having difficulty with the locking system. As stated earlier, it is definitely a problem which should be addressed by the manufacturer.

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site

NGH
Have the same problem but not only with locking/unlocking. The lever does not return to its position after opening the door and we have to manually push the lever back in order to shut the thing. These hartal doors are rubbish but what can we do when it seems all new caravans these days have them.

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
HI, I have a Fendt 700, 2015. The door lock won't lock from the outside, I turn the key to lock it, but when I turn it back to the middle to take key out, it unlocks again.
Any help would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts