Caravan Door Mounted Rubbish Bins

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Why do caravan manufacturers fit these poorly designed Hartel bins in their new caravans.They only cheapen what otherwise might be described as a reasonable product. - the caravan itself.
These bins don't last anytime at all before breaking,the weak parts are the hinges that snap off just by looking at them.
It's time Hartel beefed up the hinges to make a better product.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi bertieboy, I have one of these bins attached to the back of the door of my Gobur Carousel, I have only had chance to use the 'van once up 'til now, but I was very careful with the use of the bin as anything with plastic hinges should carry a label saying 'beware - naff product'. Still, it will be interesting to see how long it lasts..... I didn't have a bin at all in the previous Gobur, so the novelty of having somewhere to deposit my rubbish hasn't worn off yet!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree - as a wastebin totally useless. Again makes you wonder if those who design caravans ever actually live in them.

I've strengthened mine by drilling 4 small holes along the top and using small cable ties to attach to the metal rod inside. This makes the bin rigid, and the ideal home for the mover control and application lever, Aquaroll filling tube and a few other things.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
RayS said:
Agree - as a wastebin totally useless. Again makes you wonder if those who design caravans ever actually live in them.

I've strengthened mine by drilling 4 small holes along the top and using small cable ties to attach to the metal rod inside. This makes the bin rigid, and the ideal home for the mover control and application lever, Aquaroll filling tube and a few other things.

I did the same using piano wire from Ebay. Mine had broken. I glued it together, then a mixture of araldite and fine wire to bind the piano wire to the underside .

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Bitieboy, I had the same problem with the Hartel bin fitted to my 2010 Bailey. I fixed it temporarily with Araldite and a bit of ss rod, bit last year I came across what can best be described as a square shaped plastic bucket with a lid that hinges up.It was only about a third of the price of the genuine Hartel/bailey replacement- and much easier to use . Plus it has a handle if you need to lift it off the door and carry it. Not the prettiest of items, but more useful and much less money than the Hartel one.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
That is the trouble with these modern caravans :) :whistle:

My caravan is too old to have a fitted waste bin.......but I have added a highly technical solution.
.........a plastic supermarket carrier bag on a hook!

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
That is the trouble with these modern caravans :) :whistle:

My caravan is too old to have a fitted waste bin.......but I have added a highly technical solution.
.........a plastic supermarket carrier bag on a hook!

Ours is still intact! But we only use it to store our stash of plastic supermarket carrier bags. Then follow Gafferbills lead with the hook.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
brian_c said:
Ours is still intact! But we only use it to store our stash of plastic supermarket carrier bags. Then follow Gafferbills lead with the hook.

Make sure you take plenty of plastic bags to Wales, as you will be charged 5p for every one you are given in a shop, including food take-aways. :evil:

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Gafferbill, for a minute I was beginning to feel sorry for you- then I saw that you are from West Sussex. I am from the poor side of Sussex......... East!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rodone...........lots of people feel sorry for me!
I don't know why .........perhaps it is the rolled down slightly minging wellingtons :silly:
I am an immigrant to West Sussex (42years) ......origionally from Hampshire.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
brian_c said:

Make sure you take plenty of plastic bags to Wales, as you will be charged 5p for every one you are given in a shop, including food take-aways. :evil:

Many people now use 'permanent shoppers' rather than taking plastic bags, good thing too, damned things block sewers, kill marine life and will blight the landscape for thousands of years. I can't understand why more towns don't charge for plastic bags. I much prefer the nice, stout linen/cotton ones, at least yer cider bottles don't fall through of bottom of them! You only need to go to a few summer fairs, many councils have a stand where they give away these nice stout bags for free.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
CyberCynth said:
WoodlandsCamper said:
brian_c said:

Many people now use 'permanent shoppers' rather than taking plastic bags, good thing too, damned things block sewers, kill marine life and will blight the landscape for thousands of years. I can't understand why more towns don't charge for plastic bags. I much prefer the nice, stout linen/cotton ones, at least yer cider bottles don't fall through of bottom of them! You only need to go to a few summer fairs, many councils have a stand where they give away these nice stout bags for free.

Well I'll have to take that on board. And thinking about it yes all modern packaging incorrectly disposed of has the potential to blight the environment.
But coming back to the caravan door bins even if anyone actually uses them for waste I'm sure they must use some form of liner. At home we use a purpose made roll with countless white bags on it to line our kitchen waste bin. And dispose used ones in the normal household wheelie bin. Surely that's a similar thing to using the recycling / waste bin facility available on all camp sites. And yes we also have a supply of the white bin liners usually with us in the caravan.
I've not given the subject much thought before I suppose I've trusted to luck that the waste management of the local authority who collect the bins is handled in a responsible way.
Regards Brian

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our son lives in Horsham and we visit with food parcels every now and then. We used to stay on a very nice little CL on the hills above Ashington. No leccy, but lovely views and fresh air.. I'll look out for the wellies, and the bag on a hook.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
CyberCynth said:
......You only need to go to a few summer fairs, many councils have a stand where they give away these nice stout bags for free.
If the council give you one of these 'Bags For Life' and you rip it do they come round and kill you? :dry:

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I bought one of these for my Elddis of the internet, it stated it was "as fitted to" so I thought it would just be a case of removing one of the elasticated nets on the door and screwing on. No it doesn't fit so following the above posts I am going to use it to store carrier and bin bags for the use of................Job done.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Have used these for quite a few years now put three up & you can put two bags on them.

Usefull for lots of things :whistle:

80e7cb3c-5533-4dfb-ab1a-0f344063a4f1_zpsbed0e4fa.jpg

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Parksy said:
CyberCynth said:
......You only need to go to a few summer fairs, many councils have a stand where they give away these nice stout bags for free.
If the council give you one of these 'Bags For Life' and you rip it do they come round and kill you? :dry:

Ha ha! Seriously though, you'd be hard put to tear one of the thick cotton/linen bags, especially as many of them have a lining that strengthens them and is also wipe-clean.

Oh, and while I'm here, I will comment on another posting on the subject of bags. Unfortunately, although the uptake of supermarket carriers bags has gone down, apparently sales of rolls of plastic bags has risen! So it may seem from a green point of view that we're not making any progress. However, there is another way! If you do need to buy plastic bags, whatever size you require, you can buy biodegradeable ones. This is not the perfect solution but but the lesser of two evils! Thank you for reading this, folks!

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the interesting post.

If you don't mind we may use it as a small letter in the magazine? I think many people share your opinion and it would be nice to get other readers views.

Thanks, Stacie

TRENDING THREADS