Caravan Fridges in hot climates

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

I am just back from 3 weeks in France where we saw consistently hot temperatures during the day (30+ degrees). The Fridge in the van (a 2001 Electrolux) sdeemed to remain cool, but on the days when the van was closed up because we were off site, the freezer box, became a damp storage box, warmer than the fridge. This is running on mains.

Before going I read some reports about adding 12v fans to the top fridge vent to help improve airflow and fridge efficiency. Has anyone actually tried this and seen positive results? Is the improvement likely to be sufficient to keep frozen stuff frozen?

If so, I will knock something up before next summers road trip.

Cheers

David

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
David,

Plenty to read on this subject last posted 4th. June in this forum under the heading 'Fridge performance in hot weather'.

Hope this helps.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi David

Glad you had good weather.

My solution is to buy a small Compressor type freezer.

I have one about I.2 cu ft capacity,used it 6 years as described below with no problems. Cost

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi David,

All you need to do is get a 12volt fan from an old computer & fix it near the top fridge vent, so that it will pull the hot air to the outside of your van.

Then run a switchable suply to the fan.

This works for me & others

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi David,

All you need to do is get a 12volt fan from an old computer & fix it near the top fridge vent, so that it will pull the hot air to the outside of your van.

Then run a switchable suply to the fan.

This works for me & others
The fan is still pulling in air at 30+ C as in David's origional post and don't underestimate the ability of hot air to rise on it's own.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Gafferbill,

Ah yes but...oer missus!!

Tip number 1.... make sure that the winter covers are not on the fridge vents!!! you'd be surprised how many people miss this, van next to me in France end of June still had them fitted in 30+c!

Tip number 2. if you've suffered like David, then yes a fan will improve the situation, you see its like this.....

Its all down to ambient temperatures not just the outside air temperature, fridge in operation produces heat, the hotter it gets the harder the fridge has to work untill it reaches the point where it cannot dissipate the heat any more & so goes into "meltdown" defrosting the icebox first & because cold air falls, the bottom of the fridge remains relatively cooler.

Hot air rises, in the case of caravan fridge vents, it supposed to exit the top vent thus drawing "cooler" air into the lower vent, but given that the fridge is working almost flat out, the ambient temperature surrounding the fridge rises above that of the outside air temperature, coupled with the fact that a closed up van in sunshine acts like a greenhouse, exacerbating the situation, so you see a fan (prefereably heat sensitive temperature controlled as per some of the proprietry fan kits) fitted at or near the top "exit" vent sucking & expelling the hot air will assist the fridge in effecient operation.

& yes it does work!& worth every penny to keep 'er indoors wine cold & my beer cold! oh yeah & the food cold as well, knew there was something else the fridge is useful for!

Sep 30, 2006
Visit site
I use 2 x 12v fans in series. One at the top pulling warm air out and the other at the bottom drawing air in. They are fastened on the inside of the vents with cable ties. Wiring them in series means they run slower but almost inaudibly.

Regards, Ron

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
David,

I had the same experience with the fridge as you and can confirm that fitting a small fan behind the vent does make a noticeable difference. I'm not as confident in my d.i.y. skills as some others on here so rather than make up my own fan system I bought the accessory from Milenco called the Vento. My local dealer had to order it but I think you can get it mail order from a couple of places. Its a double fan with a thermostatic control which sits behind the top fridge vent. I've used it the last two years in France with a big improvement in the fridge performance. I think the kit cost around

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I fitted a 12V computer van via a switch so it only needs to be run when it is hot. I wired mine through an old No-Noise (made in Denmark) controller which used to be sold to limit the fan's revs until the temperature rose above a certain threshold. I placed my fan inside the top vent and it works fine. I take the point that a separate compressor type fridge would be an alternative but only because it is unlikely to be boxed in. If the ambient temperature is too high it too will struggle to dissipate the heat from its external 'radiator'.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Gafferbill,

Ah yes but...oer missus!!

Tip number 1.... make sure that the winter covers are not on the fridge vents!!! you'd be surprised how many people miss this, van next to me in France end of June still had them fitted in 30+c!

Tip number 2. if you've suffered like David, then yes a fan will improve the situation, you see its like this.....

Its all down to ambient temperatures not just the outside air temperature, fridge in operation produces heat, the hotter it gets the harder the fridge has to work untill it reaches the point where it cannot dissipate the heat any more & so goes into "meltdown" defrosting the icebox first & because cold air falls, the bottom of the fridge remains relatively cooler.

Hot air rises, in the case of caravan fridge vents, it supposed to exit the top vent thus drawing "cooler" air into the lower vent, but given that the fridge is working almost flat out, the ambient temperature surrounding the fridge rises above that of the outside air temperature, coupled with the fact that a closed up van in sunshine acts like a greenhouse, exacerbating the situation, so you see a fan (prefereably heat sensitive temperature controlled as per some of the proprietry fan kits) fitted at or near the top "exit" vent sucking & expelling the hot air will assist the fridge in effecient operation.

& yes it does work!& worth every penny to keep 'er indoors wine cold & my beer cold! oh yeah & the food cold as well, knew there was something else the fridge is useful for!
David was complaining about his freezer compartment and seemed happy with the performance of his fridge

I suggested a small compressor freezer as this will keep a reasonable amount of food frozen in any conditions.

A supermarket shop can be extended to include the frozen food counterif you have one!

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
My fridge on my 2008 Bailey wasn;t cooling very well during the recent hot spell. Then I remembered I had left the winter vent covers on! Doh! After removing 'em all was well.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
David was complaining about his freezer compartment and seemed happy with the performance of his fridge

I suggested a small compressor freezer as this will keep a reasonable amount of food frozen in any conditions.

A supermarket shop can be extended to include the frozen food counterif you have one!
Hi Gafferbill,

If you read the 3rd paragraph of my reply you'll see the explanation of why the fridge seems OK but the "freezer box" as David calls it defrosts.

The Freezer Box is in fact just an ice box in caravan fridges it operates at about -3 to -4c a true freezer operates at about -18c minimum.

When the caravan fridge can't cope with the high temperatures the first thing to "fail" is the ice box, but the paradox is that with the fridge door closed, cold air, & the ice box is still colder that the inside temp of the fridge, from the defrosting ice box chills the inside of the fridge! thus giving the illusion that the fridge is OK but the "freezer" box isn't!

Hope that explains it for you

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gafferbill,

If you read the 3rd paragraph of my reply you'll see the explanation of why the fridge seems OK but the "freezer box" as David calls it defrosts.

The Freezer Box is in fact just an ice box in caravan fridges it operates at about -3 to -4c a true freezer operates at about -18c minimum.

When the caravan fridge can't cope with the high temperatures the first thing to "fail" is the ice box, but the paradox is that with the fridge door closed, cold air, & the ice box is still colder that the inside temp of the fridge, from the defrosting ice box chills the inside of the fridge! thus giving the illusion that the fridge is OK but the "freezer" box isn't!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gafferbill,

Yes I understand..... Thanks

Mine acts as you describe in hot weather.

Noticed it worst of all when actually towing in hot weather.

Found soggy lollies once or twice!

Would not do without my compressor freezer though, for when sited and hooked up.

As you say -18C

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts