Caravan Front Panel

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone suggest how to improve the GRP front panel on my van? It has got very badly ingrained with dirt over the years (1990) and is now in a very poor state. I have used most of the available cleaners eg.Fenwicks/dazzler/Mer and even a "trade" polish from ebay! to no avail.Is it recoverable or do I just "grin and bear it!" Incedently, I have only just purchased this van and am trying to keep it clean unlike the precious owners !

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Gary,

If the GRP has ingrained dirt, then it sounds as if the surface has been affected by light and has become porous. The smooth top layer of the GRP moulding is called Gelcoat, it's a self coloured polyester resin about 1mm to 2mm thick, and the structural GRP body is under this.

You seem to have tried a really good, hard clean, but I think it's time for a repaint and there are two ways:

1. Buy a matching coloured Gelcoat - it's a twin pack of polyester resin and hardener - and apply with a fine roller unless you have a spray gun.

2. Use a GRP compatible yacht paint - like Toplac by International Paint - this is used for painting boat hulls above the water line - it's pretty tough stuff, weather proof, and is easier to apply.

In both cases you will need to prepare the surface (wet / dry paper to key the surface), and remove any trim or window rubbers before you paint.

Robert

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
thanks rob_jax for info, this sounds like a big job? would it be better undertaken by a professional painter/car sprayer? Would it look "painted" after its done? sorry for so many questions but you sounded like you have first hand experience!

Gary

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Gary,

On my glider, yes indeed, flying at altitude the GRP degrades under the strong UV light. And I've helped a friend repaint his GRP boat with Toplac.

If the GRP surface has really degraded, you'll know if it has because the surface will be chalky - rub it with your thumbnail and if you get a white powder - the top of the Gelcoat has gone.

Painting with Toplac or applying new Gelcoat is a task for someone with moderate DIY skills. As always, most of the work is in removing items and preparing the surface.

If you use Gelcoat, then it looks like the original surface - because it is. But applying Gelcoat requires the most skill, and will only be necessary if the chalky surface is really deep.

If the chalky layer is thin, and a quick rub with wet/dry paper removes the defective layer, then Toplac or similar would be fine. It will dry to a smooth shiny surface.

Spraying will produce the best surface finish - B&Q sometimes have a home compressor and sprayer for under

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts