Caravan getting ready for the road at last

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I have had my caravan since 2009 but never used it. Now time is right to get it sorted and take it out on the road but have to sort out the many niggles that have cropped up.
From Sheppey in Kent.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If it has stood there for six or seven years I would get a mobile engineer to service it as it will need it. I am afraid that the tyres will now need replacing as they could have developed faults in that time. Good luck though.

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
tenpole said:
I have had my caravan since 2009 but never used it. Now time is right to get it sorted and take it out on the road but have to sort out the many niggles that have cropped up.
From Sheppey in Kent.

Did you get it as a "doer-upper"?

Presumably you didn't buy it new in 2009?!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Good advice from the other posters.

What van have you got and what are your niggles, someone on here will be able to help.

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I will be replacing both tyres. The o/s tyre (SA) has a bulge on the inner wall and I would guess both have flat spots. I am doing some work on the caravan at the moment. I am replacing a stabilizer which got broken by the previous owner (I suspect trying to raise the caravan on the lever). It is proving difficult to get off as the threads seem to have broken on one nut.

Obviously replaced the battery with a better spec than the last, 110 ah for £67.
Had to get a new water pump for the aqua roll. Looks like I need a new non return valve as nothing coming out of the hot taps. Also a new gas regulator as gas flow is low.

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
The caravan is an old 1997? Compass Omega 490 -4. It is still in good condition and the wife loves it. I have two girls, one 13 whom is disinterested in caravanning and seems to think that when she is 14 she is staying at home but she might like caravanning I kid myself, the other princess is 7 and is all excited about going away.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Treat the kids to an all singing and all dancing site once in a while, they will soon get to like it, meet new friends and I bet you wont see them for ages.

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking about trying out the Hastings Touring site as it is not too far away, the wife loves Hastings and as I remember it is quite scenic (although I was last at that site about 1980).
We usually have a day trip to Hastings every year but might be better to make a weekend of it.
The step son wants to come as well and I think he would end up being a converted to the caravanning world.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the van has not been used for as long as you say you have had it, would very strongly suggest getting a mobile engineer to at least give the gas system check and ensure all the gas appliances are working correctly and are SAFE to use.
The best bet would be a full service.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts