Caravan insurance companies

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have always used CMHC or CCC ( the two clubs) as they have an excellent reputation when things go awry. Caravanguard are also well regarded too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is no simple answer to your question. however the policies offered by both of the caravanning clubs do generally receive praise from policy holders who have to make a claim. There are good reports about the NFU and there will be other insurers who have happy customers.

These tend to be towards the top of the price, there are cheaper providers, but they often have keep costs down by having tighter policy details making it more difficult to claim.

Not all policies are equal Read the policy documentation and understand what you must do to keep the policy in force where it can be stored, the cover for different items, eg the need for security devices when traveling and at destination sites.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is no simple answer to your question. however the policies offered by both of the caravanning clubs do generally receive praise from policy holders who have to make a claim. There are good reports about the NFU and there will be other insurers who have happy customers.

These tend to be towards the top of the price, there are cheaper providers, but they often have keep costs down by having tighter policy details making it more difficult to claim.

Not all policies are equal Read the policy documentation and understand what you must do to keep the policy in force where it can be stored, the cover for different items, eg the need for security devices when traveling and at destination sites.
I think NFU only offer caravan insurance to those who have house and contents insurance with NFU.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Caravanguard is the one I use although the CAMH has a good reputation. I was with C&CC at one time but changed as I was unhappy with their changes.
Other decent companies include NFU and SAGA if you fit their age requirements. Before you insure with Ripe check out google on their claims service . I have never used them but they come in for some criticism here.
Look for a five star DEFAQTO rating as a start, if one is not quoted assume the worst and ignore Trust Pilot and similar ratings as they are normally praise for the setting up of the policy and cheap deals which are meaningless. Always google their claims service which is what counts.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Caravanguard is the one I use although the CAMH has a good reputation. I was with C&CC at one time but changed as I was unhappy with their changes.
Other decent companies include NFU and SAGA if you fit their age requirements. Before you insure with Ripe check out google on their claims service . I have never used them but they come in for some criticism here.
Look for a five star DEFAQTO rating as a start, if one is not quoted assume the worst and ignore Trust Pilot and similar ratings as they are normally praise for the setting up of the policy and cheap deals which are meaningless. Always google their claims service which is what counts.
NFU only cover caravans if you have home and contents insurance with them. The Ombudsman's website gives good indication of which insurers have had judgements against them. But of course it doesn't enable just caravan claims to be locked at. I'm always a bit cautious with insurance and go with companies that have good record on claims as that's what I require.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 8, 2024
Visit site
try Howden Insurance in Bromsgrove, (new name for A-Plan Insurance), they're a broker and not on comparison sites, so do all of the shopping around for you and are very competitive. Nothing to lose.

Reactions: Banus
Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
How did their premium and security requirements compare?
All good tbh security wise just the standard requirements and a price I’m happy with , iv got zero no claims as had to claim last yer though it was a non fault claim my old insurance company where terrible and told me my premiums would probably double if I used them to make a claim ! They wanted me to do it myself which was basically impossible but hey ho I’m happy again

May 7, 2012
Visit site
try Howden Insurance in Bromsgrove, (new name for A-Plan Insurance), they're a broker and not on comparison sites, so do all of the shopping around for you and are very competitive. Nothing to lose.
I checked their website and it does not show a DEFAQTO rating for their policies. Without this I would not use the company as that is your guarantee of the best policies. It does not mean theirs is a problem but you cannot be sure.
The Trust Pilot best reviews are shown, but not any others, which is not what I want to see. Trust Pilot though generally shows only how easily they setup the policy and they all do that easily. You need to check the claims reviews to be sure that is good.
I have not used this company so have no personal experience of them.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I checked their website and it does not show a DEFAQTO rating for their policies. Without this I would not use the company as that is your guarantee of the best policies. It does not mean theirs is a problem but you cannot be sure.
The Trust Pilot best reviews are shown, but not any others, which is not what I want to see. Trust Pilot though generally shows only how easily they setup the policy and they all do that easily. You need to check the claims reviews to be sure that is good.
I have not used this company so have no personal experience of them.
Maybe if you checked under A plan instead of the new name Howdens, the reviews could be positive? A-plan had a good reputation.

Reactions: jodie w
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The cover does not show the DEFAQTO rating which would mean I would stay clear. If they do not have that it makes me wonder.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have also use these in the past Shield Total Insurance for caravans it has a 5 star Defaqto rated and very happy with there service at that time .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have also use these in the past Shield Total Insurance for caravans it has a 5 star Defaqto rated and very happy with there service at that time .
Did you make a claim as that is what counts? We have had one claim with Towergate and another with CAMC and with both no issues with paying out.

Reactions: RogerL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Did you make a claim as that is what counts? We have had one claim with Towergate and another with CAMC and with both no issues with paying out.
Not with that insurance but we have only made one claim and that was with CAMC and we had no issues at that time .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not with that insurance but we have only made one claim and that was with CAMC and we had no issues at that time .
So many insurers get good review ratings when most of those ratings review how easy it is to take out the policy, or if it’s a good price. If the company cannot get the front end right I doubt their claim’s performance is not that good. It’s the back end when things go awry that you need to be good.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Basically this is what I have said many times. If you want to check if the company is any good google their claims service.
That is what counts and not the service you get when giving them your money! Typical sales tactics, promise the world and then hassle when delivering!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I question whether Defaqto is truly a reliable guide to the final result, the claim!
BB you said you had no claim but please let us know what “service” you had?

There‘s no such thing as a free lunch. My £3000 claim last year was handled beyond my expectation by CAMC, their claims staff, their inspecting engineer and approved repairers MJ Lovell. It really was brilliant painless and professional. But I accept CAMC are not the cheapest. So I can speak with authority , hands on experience , which is not what Defaqto say🤪. Who are their experts? I’m an expert with first hand experience and never been asked😎

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I question whether Defaqto is truly a reliable guide to the final result, the claim!
BB you said you had no claim but please let us know what “service” you had?

There‘s no such thing as a free lunch. My £3000 claim last year was handled beyond my expectation by CAMC, their claims staff, their inspecting engineer and approved repairers MJ Lovell. It really was brilliant painless and professional. But I accept CAMC are not the cheapest. So I can speak with authority , hands on experience , which is not what Defaqto say🤪. Who are their experts? I’m an expert with first hand experience and never been asked😎
Isn’t DEFAQTO just a listing of what the policy contains. A low rating equates to a minimal policy, whereas a high rating denotes a policy that has all of the bells and whistles. So if a punter is looking at two companies both of which have 5 star DEFAQTO they can be assured that both will be similar in the cover being offered. But it gives no guidance on how good the respective companies are in handling claims efficiently and fairly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Isn’t DEFAQTO just a listing of what the policy contains. A low rating equates to a minimal policy, whereas a high rating denotes a policy that has all of the bells and whistles. So if a punter is looking at two companies both of which have 5 star DEFAQTO they can be assured that both will be similar in the cover being offered. But it gives no guidance on how good the respective companies are in handling claims efficiently and fairly.

Clive , I said exactly that, see my first sentence. Defaqto does NOT rate the claims service which we both fully agree👍

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS