caravan insurance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just took insurance out with C&CC - far cheaper than previous company. However one question I was asked was have I been on a car/caravan driving course organised by the club. My answer to this was no. If I had been on such a course I would have had a further discount off my premium. I checked to see where these courses were being held and they were all in England - none in Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales. The same applies to the CC courses. Therefore what it would have cost me to go on one of these distant courses would be more than the saving on my insurance. Also as I nave been caravanning since 1969 I feel quite confident - I'm not trying to be big headed over this but just have many years of caravanning behind me - some good and some bad. However I am of the opinion that practical experience is better than any one day course.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,I cannot in principle disagree.However,if you watch the antics of a great many drivers of 'solo' cars when reversing, it begs the question;does the length of time active in a subject or pastime always mean that additional tuition/coaching is not needed. Some people do OK and get bye with practice,some do so well in the eyes of those less skilled that a question is asked,' why is it that you make that look so easy'. The answer is not always;Well I've been doing it for years. The answer really should be, well I was taught correctly and have had X? many years of ongoing practice. I was taught by my first employer using an Austin Commercial Vehicle and a huge single axle 10'x6' trailer.I was very lucky to have had such a good tutor/mentor that within a few months or so I was using his rather new Humber Hawk Auto Estate to pull the trailers when demand on the vans exceeded the number available.He himself was a long standing member of The Caravan Club with many years & miles of UK &Continental Driving Experience.

G

Having good training is always a good idea, but as Colin mentions, being subject to a postcode lottery is neither fair nor appropriate. If Companies wish to offer discounts based on certain conditons, thenthey should be available nationally

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Colin
Are you sure about the CC?
According to my info they do towing courses in Llanelli and Ruthin.
Scotland is blessed with Broxburn Midlothian.

SWMBO did a CC course a few years ago and hey presto we qualified for a further discount with CC Insurance. The fact I've been towing since 1974 has no relevance at all! You get the wise cracks about teaching an old dog new tricks etc!

How many on here can honestly reverse upto the caravan so the tow ball is dead in line with the hitch?? It's taken me years to master that and I still miss by an inch or so now and then. However if I had done a "Course" I'd be the expert. LOL.

Anyway the discount we've had has easily paid for SWMBO course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts