Caravan Insurance

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi All. We pick up our new caravan in a couple of weeks. Its due off the line tomorrow! Having never owned one before, i think I have almost everything now. The last 2 items on the agenda are an Awning and Insurance!

I havent signed up to either of the clubs yet, (not sure the benefits / pros/cons with either yet, still researching. But i do need to get some insurance sorted before i collect the caravan.

Im looking to insure a brand new Venus Clubman SR. I have a few quotes come in at around the 300 mark which is old for new, (circa 22,000 for the van) 1500 contents (not sure this is a bit light or sensible amount!?) does this sound the right price range!?

Does anyone have any advice of what insurers are good. (I.e. Least hassle should anything go wrong!) just wondered if anyone had any experience of getting good service and from whom.

Also, any views on if we should be subscribed to campaign and caravan club, or caravan and motor home club!? Any views on the differences?

All opinions welcome!

Thanks all!

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Only a few weeks ago, we were in the same position as you. After a lot of research we are now insured via the C&MHC, and have also joined the C&CC to get the benefit of all the sites. Lots of good advice on here and the Facebook caravanners forum. Hope this helps. Simon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You only know how good or otherwise an insurer is until you need to make a claim. Its also important to check the cover on offer, It may not seem a big thing but check the recovery services on offer as some of the cheaper ones may not recover your caravan if you have a problem with your car. leaving your caravan stranded on the side of the road.Some policies limit the size of trailer they will recover.

The club policies are very good, but there are a few others worthy of consideratoin

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We belong to both clubs in order to give us a greater choice of CL's and CS's.

In addition we gain in benefits from both clubs. Caravan club provide us with breakdown cover.
We have tended to swing between the two clubs depending on price for our new for old caravan insurance. We have at times insured cars with them both as well.
As far as your insurance amount is concerned only you can say how much you have spent and what it would cost to replace. An awning is likely to come in at around £1000.
I am assuming your new van is a Lunar Clubman SR not a Venus which is the budget brand of Lunar. ;)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The cover given by both clubs is very good and generally the others although they look the same they usually give less cover or have tighter conditions. If you do not go with a club policy my suggestions would be RSA, NFU Mutual or SAGA .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have changed between the two main clubs, made a claim for letting the van run into the garage due to a brake problem from new, Alko problem. The Cc paid up straight away for a new rear panel 5k. . Always go with the main clubs.and If your van is fairly new always go for new for old and reestimate every year.
Hutch.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We have been insured by both clubs and now with NFU mutual. All have good reputations. With NFU contents are covered on house policy we have with them so this makes the caravan slightly cheaper. I met someone on site who had written off car and caravan. Caravan was with one of the clubs and they paid in 7 days. The car was with a budget insurer, actually a supermarket, and he was waiting 13 weeks and still no settlement.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
waffler said:
.... With NFU contents are covered on house policy we have with them so this makes the caravan slightly cheaper. .....

Be very careful about your content insurance and check with your insurer, becasue there may be several limitations about content kept in a place other than the insured address such as a caravan whilst on holiday.

Don't assume its covered check!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
waffler said:
.... With NFU contents are covered on house policy we have with them so this makes the caravan slightly cheaper. .....

Be very careful about your content insurance and check with your insurer, becasue there may be several limitations about content kept in a place other than the insured address such as a caravan whilst on holiday.

Don't assume its covered check!

I cannot speak for all insurers but I think most will cover your contents in the caravan but it is worth checking. You might find a limit on contents in motorhomes though.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Marbles007 said:
Had a good quote from coast insurance today on a new Bailey Pursuit 430-4 just under £150 new for old. market value was even cheaper.

That seems exceptionally good value. My new for old on a 4 year old caravan is more than twice that incl. a lot of discounts. Have you studied the Ts & Cs?

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Yes studied the t&c awning cover £1000 contents I asked for £2000. Hitch lock and wheel clamp in use.some companies were quoting double.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
To me £150 is far too cheap so I would look very carefully at the policy wording. Last year I had a quote from them and it was far cheaper than the rest which put me off. If a policy is cheaper than the rest then either the insurer has got the premium wrong or something is missing. I went with the C&CC who were about average but the cover looked better than most.
Check the policy has DEFACTO five star rating as if not the cover is likely to be less than it should.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts