Caravan Insurance

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I know that the subject has been posted before but I am wondering at what level do members cover for. Apart from the caravan itself what items do you include e.g awnings, aqua rolls, waste master etc. Do you look at current value of caravan perhaps before renewal in the hope that premium might of dropped. Looking forward to hearing your feedback, thanks.

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
We're currently new-for-old on the caravan (but the model is not currently made) and a couple of years ago I did a costed inventory of the contents and was surprised by what the replacement sum came to.
So, yes awning, aquarolls, wastemaster, (replacement gas bottles aren't cheap) motor mover, battery, outdoor table chairs etc etc. Also such things as pans, crockery, bedding, telly etc all add-up.
Replacing a total loss (be that theft or fire) would, in most cases, be a significant amount more than 'just' the caravan.

Reactions: Somersetboy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am with the C and Cc, and now the van is over 10 years old changed last year to Market value, with £1000 contents, which includes awning, aqua rolls etc. saved about Half the insurance cost, I think I paid about £350 or £380.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Here’s a thumb nail of my premium showing gross and net amount after discounts for alarms etc. CAMC Cover.

Caravan and Associated Equipment Contents £15,500 Market Value Basis
Hotel and Caravan Hire £1000
Personal Accident £20000
Liability £5,000,000
Make: BAILEY Year: 2008
Base Cost£670.00

Alarm Discount
Wheel Lock Discount
Electronic Trailer Control Device discount
Voluntary excess £200
Tailored contents cost
No claims 4 years
No Claims Protection
Caravanner's Legal Protection (optional)

Total Amount net £251.50

Reactions: Somersetboy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ultimately only you can decide which type of cover to go for, what may suit others may not be right for you. You may attache a value to some things differently to other people, and you may perceive the risk of loss differently.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our premium is for cover north of £50k as we are New for Old and we included everything even motor movers, air con, awnings etc.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our premium is for cover north of £50k as we are New for Old and we included everything even motor movers, air con, awnings etc.
And how much does that cost and from which company.
I really cannot see myself buying a Caravan for 50K, especially the way they leak.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
And how much does that cost and from which company.
I really cannot see myself buying a Caravan for 50K, especially the way they leak.
Current cost of replacement caravan is nearly £44k on old for new and then add on stuff like awnings, motor mover, air con etc takes it higher. We paid less than £600 for insurance last year.

There is no way that we would go out and pay £40k for a caravan now. Obviously 6 years ago the cost of the caravan was a lot lower by over £14k so a massive increase in the past 6 years.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I don’t include contents in ours. My theory is that the most likely theft scenario is when the caravan is parked at home where it is pretty much empty. The money I have saved on premiums over the years doing this would go a long way to replacing the contents in the event of total loss or theft while we’re away.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don’t include contents in ours. My theory is that the most likely theft scenario is when the caravan is parked at home where it is pretty much empty.
What if while on site the unit catches fire and then destroys everything as when on site is the most likely time a fire will occur?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
What if while on site the unit catches fire and then destroys everything as when on site is the most likely time a fire will occur?
I edited my post as you were typing, the money I have saved doing this over the years would go a long way towards replacement. We all view risk differently and my view is that the risk of total loss when away is smaller than the theft risk when at home empty. We insure through the CAMHC and the added premium for contents with them is considerable!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I edited my post as you were typing, the money I have saved doing this over the years would go a long way towards replacement. We all view risk differently and my view is that the risk of total loss when away is smaller than the theft risk when at home empty. We insure through the CAMHC and the added premium for contents with them is considerable!
We too exclude contents on the caravan policy - but our home policy is extended for "items away from home" - this way items are covered whether they're in the garage when at home, in the caravan when on site or in the car when we go out for the day.

We find it cheaper to extend the home insurance than add contents to the caravan policy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
See#4 . My CAMC includes contents. Total premium net for everything £251. Home insurance also covers contents away for sum insured of £10k. Possible dual insurance? Never really gave it a thought 🙀.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We too exclude contents on the caravan policy - but our home policy is extended for "items away from home" - this way items are covered whether they're in the garage when at home, in the caravan when on site or in the car when we go out for the day.

We find it cheaper to extend the home insurance than add contents to the caravan policy.
We do not cover personal goods including TVs on the caravan insurance, but cannot cover awnings etc on the home insurance.

However if you do not have caravan contents cover stuff like motor mover, awnings etc is not included and to replace at motor mover is not cheap and neither is the accumulated value of stuff like aquaroll, waste master and many other goodies carried in the caravan.

It is cheaper for us to pay the little extra on our premium than for us to pay to replace the goods all in one hit.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We do not cover personal goods including TVs on the caravan insurance, but cannot cover awnings etc on the home insurance.

However if you do not have caravan contents cover stuff like motor mover, awnings etc is not included and to replace at motor mover is not cheap and neither is the accumulated value of stuff like aquaroll, waste master and many other goodies carried in the caravan.

It is cheaper for us to pay the little extra on our premium than for us to pay to replace the goods all in one hit.
Motor mover isn't contents, it's a fitted extra

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Motor mover isn't contents, it's a fitted extra
That depends on who is insuring the caravan. CAMC it is all lumped together according to the Caravan Cover policy and they do not request a breakdown of the what is being insured and neither do Caravanguard.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That depends on who is insuring the caravan. CAMC it is all lumped together according to the Caravan Cover policy and they do not request a breakdown of the what is being insured and neither do Caravanguard.
C&MC can separate caravan from contents as the latter can be omitted, with reduced premium - I've had to ensure that my estimate of the caravan's market value includes the motor mover but it doesn't include loose equipment like water barrels, etc

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
C&MC can separate caravan from contents as the latter can be omitted, with reduced premium - I've had to ensure that my estimate of the caravan's market value includes the motor mover but it doesn't include loose equipment like water barrels, etc
I checked my old quotes and policies before I replied and there was no option to separate them, but you could lower the overall value of the caravan and equipment.

TRENDING THREADS