Caravan Jacking

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I have a britool torque wrench from a former life and I regularly check the van wheels (also my sons)
Aside from the van a torque wrench is a strange animal in that you never really need one until you haven't got one

As for jacking, I use a trolley jack on the drive (car coupled) to block up the axle to take the weight off the tyres off season.
On the road I use a large scissor jack with a ratchet handle that compresses really flat.
Looked at the Ko jack but didn't think that it seemed versatile enough to cover all situations and I didn't want to risk being caught out, and i don't know if it would fit my BPW chassis anyway

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have a britool torque wrench from a former life and I regularly check the van wheels (also my sons)
Aside from the van a torque wrench is a strange animal in that you never really need one until you haven't got one

As for jacking, I use a trolley jack on the drive (car coupled) to block up the axle to take the weight off the tyres off season.
On the road I use a large scissor jack with a ratchet handle that compresses really flat.
Looked at the Ko jack but didn't think that it seemed versatile enough to cover all situations and I didn't want to risk being caught out, and i don't know if it would fit my BPW chassis anyway

I got the Ko-Jack. It seems OK. But it would be so much better if it came in a carry case and if the arm (or handle?). Was easier to extend. No idea if it fits the BWP chassis.

John

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't see the point of taking the weight of the tyres when the caravan is in storage. Dealers don't when their cars or caravans are standing on the forecourt for months on end on and are none the worse for wear. Any possible flat spots will be quickly ironed out when the car or caravan has been moved a couple of miles.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don't see the point of taking the weight of the tyres when the caravan is in storage. Dealers don't when their cars or caravans are standing for months on end on and are none the worse for wear. Any possible flat spots will be quickly ironed out when the car or caravan has been moved a couple of miles.

You are no doubt right. I do it ‘just in case‘ there may be stress issues. Also, in case I have a slow puncture which will then overload the steadies. And lastly, as an extra security factor.

John

Reactions: izzy
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't see the point of taking the weight of the tyres when the caravan is in storage. Dealers don't when their cars or caravans are standing on the forecourt for months on end on and are none the worse for wear. Any possible flat spots will be quickly ironed out when the car or caravan has been moved a couple of miles.
It may be nothing to do with tyres - Alko recommend, or used to, that the weight is taken off the rubber suspension when in storage.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It may be nothing to do with tyres - Alko recommend, or used to, that the weight is taken off the rubber suspension when in storage.

I wonder how many dealers take note of that. In over 30 years of caravanning I have never taken the weight off the tyres nor rotated them and never noticed anything untoward.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
From memory the idea of jacking up was to save tyres. All rubbish. A correctly inflated tyre will not get permanent flat spots. I agree with Lutz. The real problem is UV light on our stationary tyres. The rubber cracks. Yesterday I ditched four perfectly , plenty of tread caravan tyres. They were five years old .

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
From memory the idea of jacking up was to save tyres. All rubbish. A correctly inflated tyre will not get permanent flat spots. I agree with Lutz. The real problem is UV light on our stationary tyres. The rubber cracks. Yesterday I ditched four perfectly , plenty of tread caravan tyres. They were five years old .
In the storage area even in summer our caravan tyres never see direct sunshine due to proximity of the caravan next to us so that is a bonus. :D

Reactions: Dustydog
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Before his first trip this year my son will have to replace all 4 tyres, they too are just over 5 years old.
Not due to UV light cracking the walls but long cracks running along the tread troughs

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Before his first trip this year my son will have to replace all 4 tyres, they too are just over 5 years old.
Not due to UV light cracking the walls but long cracks running along the tread troughs
Izzy, I believe thy those cracks are also Uv orientated.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Really Dustydog how so? They are really deep wide cracks and I could easily imagine a tread shedding off.
I have no wish at all to doubt you but seems a bit odd given where they are.
Unless of course the UV affects the whole rubber of the tyre and not just the exposed bits hmmm.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Really Dustydog how so? They are really deep wide cracks and I could easily imagine a tread shedding off.
At that age Cracks on the walls and tread happen. Unless the tyres were defective from new? The tyres I ditched yesterday had cracks on the side walls and treads like the San Andreas Fault

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unless of course the UV affects the whole rubber of the tyre and not just the exposed bits hmmm.

Tyre compound includes plastizers that keep the compound supple. But to work effectively the tyre has to be used regularly. So a combination of UV and irregular usage exacerbates the problem. But saying that I put two Dunlops on the rear of my daughters car and after two years the MOT issued an advisory due to fine cracks on the outer edges. That car was used daily. So I suspect some issue with the tyre compound itself.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I prefer to listen to and be guided by experts!

Reactions: Hutch
Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I had flat spots on some tires on my old Land Rover mind they were Cross ply and not radial. Backing up the drive I used to feel them going over the flat spots, but a few yards down the road and the had gone.

Trevor

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts