Caravan Jacks

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
I've read this debate with great interest as I too wondered why caravan manufacturers don't include this piece of kit with their products. What concerns me is this: With traffic conditions today, is it really safe to change a wheel, be it on a caravan or car, on todays busy roads? I think I'll leave it to the nice man from my motoring organisation to take care of it for me, that piece of plastic weighs a lot less than a jack and he has more experience and a big van with flashing lights to warn other road users!

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I carry - but have never needed to use an inflatable jack which is inflated by connecting to the car exhaust.

Should lift the van, car or anything else. bought on ebay for around

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

I agree that sometime it would be difficut to change a wheel on the side of the road if the traffic was exceptionally heavy and a call out would possibly be the answer.

But you can not always call out a man to assist you as indicated by Mick above and his experience getting his caravan off the axle stands safety.

There is also no set place or time when you are unlucky enough to have wheel trouble or a puncture. If you are on a site or at home or if you are just working on your van for some reason you should be provided with a suitable and safe lifting device for your caravan as you are a car.

You cannot call out a person to assist you with just changing wheels and putting your van on axle stands.

This is what I was trying to point out at the start of this debate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The advice I have seen from the police (and others) is not to try changing car wheels on motorways or main roads today. The traffic conditions are so bad that they say it is just to unsafe. I kept a look out, after seeing this to, see where I felt I would be happy about changing the car wheel, almost no where. The idea of doing the caravan wheel filled me with horror, we joined the CC rescue fast! My safety I felt was far more valuable than a missed ferry, late arrival or getting wet. At least alive I could put up with any of those but dead. We do have a spare wheel, triangle's and jack but look as you drive and think could you risk going down the side of your caravan to change its wheel or even just lower the off side steadies?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have no intention of attempting to change a tyre on my caravan OR car on todays roads. It's bad enough keeping your wits about you and concentrating on the job in hand without needing eyes in the back of your head and worrying whats going to hit you up the assend. This was the reason I joined Mayday through the Caravan Club. I prefer to wait one hour than lose a finger or maybe my life. Life is stressful enough without worrying that I could be 1 hour further down the road if I did the job myself. Thats my opinion but each to his own ;O)

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Not sure if they would put your caravan on axel stands, or change the tyres for winter ones (as some people do)or do work on the underneath of your caravan. So at some time you may require a jack.

G

Like many others, I use a trolley jack from MachineMart. It will also allow me to change the wheel on the car, if the supplied item decides to throw a wobbler. By the way, how many people carry a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts correctly? I admit if I was on the side of a motorway I would probably tighten them as much as possible and try to get the hell out of there as quickly as possible to somewhere quieter where i could re-check everything safely.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like many others, I use a trolley jack from MachineMart. It will also allow me to change the wheel on the car, if the supplied item decides to throw a wobbler. By the way, how many people carry a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts correctly? I admit if I was on the side of a motorway I would probably tighten them as much as possible and try to get the hell out of there as quickly as possible to somewhere quieter where i could re-check everything safely.
David, to quote from the Highway Code:

"Additional rules for the motorway

249: If your vehicle develops a problem, leave the motorway at the next exit or pull into a service area. If you cannot do so, you should

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts