Caravan Levellers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
is there any safe levelling device on the market other than levelling blocks and lumps of wood. Surely some inventor has solved this recurring task when pitching.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Automatic levellers are available for motor homes but I don't know of any suitable for caravans. For example, Goldschmitt produce a hydraulic system which replaces corner steadies for the modest price of about ₤3300 for the remote control version and about another ₤200 extra for a fully automatic one. They are capable of lifting up to 2900kg. For a caravan this would be going over the top a bit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lutz for your reply and observations and I think that the cost of corner levelling would be prohibitive. I also wonder whether fitting such a device would void the vans warranty.

Thanks milord for your reply and have considered this type from Towsure, whilst talking to my caravan dealer I mentioned this type and he said stay clear as they were dangerous when used on grass in wet weather. Perhaps you could give me your comments on his statement.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just imagine what an impression you'd make on your neighbours with such an automatic levelling system, though, Shiraz! Isn't that alone worth the ₤3300?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I always book hardstandings Shiraz so have only used it once, in a Forestry Commision site. I cant see how they would be dangerous though because you level the van from the side needed then put down the steadies. Its not as if your lifting the van as if your parked on the side of a mountain. It would be interesting to hear others comments.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always book hardstandings Shiraz so have only used it once, in a Forestry Commision site. I cant see how they would be dangerous though because you level the van from the side needed then put down the steadies. Its not as if your lifting the van as if your parked on the side of a mountain. It would be interesting to hear others comments.
The critisms for this type of leveller are:

1 - that being on a slope the unit with the weight of the caravan can cause the unit to slide.

2 - that tyre distortion is experienced when in the lifted position.

after reading the instructions you kindly pointed me to I think that if you spread the load by using a builders plank about a metre long and about 1/3 of a meter wide together with fiamma chocks under the lifted wheel and at the other wheel should prevent any slippages. Thanks for your comments and guidance. Lutz I really cannot justify that much expenditure and being shy I would be like a shrinking violet at the attention of others.

I have just got over the comments of my neighbour when she witnessed me parking the van with the mover, she said that that mover must be the most expensive boys toys about. I said it was expensive dut not a toy as it allowed my wife and I to enjoy vanning for a few more years. The most expensive boys toy is reputably the 4x4 and you should the number of ladies who drive them and they know what they want!!! however thats another subject.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts