Caravan Mud Flaps

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I was reaching under the caravan the other day putting the wheel cover over the south facing tyre, when I saw huge streaks of road dirt down the underside of the 'van. It's overdue a cleaning, so will attend to it when possible, but would a set of mud flaps (if one can even buy/fit them to a Sprite) have kept the winter dirt and construction rubbish from peppering the underside?

Some Google-Fu shows previous discussions from 14 and 10 years(!) ago which don't seem too conclusive, but the Lunar Clubman caravan (for example) comes with them as standard.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I will keep track of this topic as I would be interested in putting some mud flaps on mine to . I put them on the car to save the front getting damaged as when we first started I will show you what happened on our previous caravan ...... so imagine what it was like underneath like you say :blush:

I felt so sorry for it !

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have mud flaps fitted to my caravan, but it's a 2019 model and my previous 2013 model did not have them.
I had a 2005 Lunar Quasar and these too had mud flaps fitted, whereas my 2011 Sprite did not.
Presumably some manufacture fit them, but others don't and I would expect you could source them online.
Regards,

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I very much believe that mud flaps would help.

Loads of choices on line, and very easy to adapt if necessary, I would likely use stainles steel fixings and suitable sealants around fixing points, an easy job to DIY.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I will keep track of this topic as I would be interested in putting some mud flaps on mine to . I put them on the car to save the front getting damaged as when we first started I will show you what happened on our previous caravan ...... so imagine what it was like underneath.

I felt so sorry for it !

My car came with mud flaps but they are OEM so aren't that deep but the ProTec cover saves the front pannel... I just need to clean the cover now ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I'll be honest I'm all for DIY solutions, but my concern is voiding the warranty drilling holes in floor. Could mud flaps be bonded to the arch?

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I will keep track of this topic as I would be interested in putting some mud flaps on mine to . I put them on the car to save the front getting damaged as when we first started I will show you what happened on our previous caravan ...... so imagine what it was like underneath like you say :blush:

I felt so sorry for it !

Mine came with OEM mud flaps fitted as standard Craig & Custard, which have the Swift Logo on them, and so I’m sure you’d have no trouble finding a pair. I had actually assumed that the Sprites had them as standard too, and until reading your posts had never thought any more about them. Just let me know if either of you are interested and I’ll take some close up pics tomorrow to you can see how they’ve been fitted.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Craigyoung said:

I felt so sorry for it !

Mine came with OEM mud flaps fitted as standard Craig & Custard, which have the Swift Logo on them, and so I’m sure you’d have no trouble finding a pair. I had actually assumed that the Sprites had them as standard too, and until reading your posts had never thought any more about them. Just let me know if either of you are interested and I’ll take some close up pics tomorrow to you can see how they’ve been fitted.

Thanks Icaru5, that would great. No mud flaps nor are they an option on the Swift website.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Pics here guys. As you can see, they are rectangular and are not left and right handed. They also have what appears to be a part number in one corner as shown in the last photo, (although this could be a manufacturers part number rather than Swift’s as I couldn’t find any reference to it during a quick online search).

8885E2B8-C2A9-47BB-849B-512F52E6470C.jpg

05F22DB4-91B7-45DC-84F6-7B059CAC2439.jpg

9ECD5760-978F-411A-ADE7-264951C3A7A9.jpg

F20D52F6-346B-4874-9964-764EBD05A7B5.jpg

322673-DA-3-EEE-4038-805-E-B32-D77-CB8-E8-C.png

Hope this helps,

Ic.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Pics here guys. As you can see, they are rectangular and are not left and right handed. They also have what appears to be a part number in one corner as shown in the last photo, (although this could be a manufacturers part number rather than Swift’s as I couldn’t find any reference to it during a quick online search).
Hope this helps,

Ic.

Fantastic, thanks!

They look just like the ones I found on a search for Swift mud flaps (The same website Craig linked) I'd assumed that they screwed directly into the arch liner!

They must be aftermarket/dealer fit as the top-of-the-range 2019 Swift Elegance makes no reference to Mudflaps and is pictured without them.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Strange ... My van’s a 2017 Swift Siena 6TD, A Grantham Caravans dealer special based on the Sprite Major 6TD and came with them as standard, although I have no idea if Grantham’s fitted them after taking delivery, or if the Siena’s left the factory with them on.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
They came as standard on our caravan but I cannot say they have made a lot of difference. The main problem could be dirt thrown up by other vehicles.

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
Although our Clubman came with mud flaps I do agree with Custard that the use of a front cover is well worth the expense, very easy to fit and does save a lot of muck and grit on the front panel.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I've got decent size mud flaps on the Kuga and don't get much crap on the front when travelling , nowhere near as much as what we used to get without mud flaps on the car !

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Craigyoung said:
Buckman said:
If you have a motor mover to the rear of the tyres I doubt if mud flaps can be fitted?

Mines fitted to the front off the tyres .

Front mounted too... Probably the preferred mounting location to avoid getting covered in crap from the tyre :silly:
Ours is front and rear mounted so I guess no mud flaps. On our previous caravan the dealer insisted on mounted the single axle motor mover on the rear tyres for some reason.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I've got decent size mud flaps on the Kuga and don't get much crap on the front when travelling , nowhere near as much as what we used to get without mud flaps on the car !

We have them on the car as well and they do help.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
20190309-103743.jpg

....... I made anti spray wider mud flaps cut out of a single LGV twin wheel flap purchased new from a commercial vehicle parts supplier.
Attachment is to a 50x25mm wooden baton using stainless steel screws.
Finished off with fluorescent self adhesive decals purchased in a pack of two.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
20190309-103743.jpg

....... I made anti spray wider mud flaps cut out of a single LGV twin wheel flap purchased new from a commercial vehicle parts supplier.
Attachment is to a 50x25mm wooden baton using stainless steel screws.
Finished off with fluorescent self adhesive decals purchased in a pack of two.

Will screwing the baton into the floor cause any water ingress issues?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........I liberally applied non hardening mastic between baton and wooden caravan floor.

The caravan manufacturer used the same fixing technique for many of their underfloor joints where screws or nails from a nail gun provides the fastening. .....eg the plastic mudguards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts