Caravan parked in street

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
BBC News Scotland carries a report about a caravan which is parked unattended in an Edinburgh street on a single yellow line for 4 months and the council are powerless to act.
The reporter said that because the caravan is 'unhooked it is not considered to be a vehicle' which means that it cannot be removed or isued with a parking ticket.
I was under the impression that a caravan had to display lights at night when not connected to a vehicle on a highway but perhaps I'm wrong and we can all stop paying for caravan storage and park the caravan in the street?
smiley-cool.gif

I wouldn't want to risk it though, and now that the caravan has been on the news the chances of it remaining untouched and intact are minimal to say the least.

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Very strange
I understood it was against the law to leave a caravan on the public highway uncoupled as it did not carry any road tax.

But yes I have noticed others which are not coupled up and nothing seem to be done.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If it is CRIS registered, the boys in blue could track down the owner and have a word.
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As The Law of the Road is defined in the Road Traffic Act; see below
The term 'motor vehicle' is defined in section 185(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and section 136(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 as "a mechanically propelled vehicle, intended or adapted for use on roads".
Is a caravan "mechanically" propelled?
smiley-undecided.gif

Skips are parked in the road subject to a special permit being issued, and must be lit at night.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
As The Law of the Road is defined in the Road Traffic Act; see below
The term 'motor vehicle' is defined in section 185(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and section 136(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 as "a mechanically propelled vehicle, intended or adapted for use on roads".
Is a caravan "mechanically" propelled?
smiley-undecided.gif

Skips are parked in the road subject to a special permit being issued, and must be lit at night.
It is if a motor mover is fitted!!
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
A caravan is a trailer and trailer is defined as a vehicle. Secondly it must have some form of lighting as per the Lighting Regulations. Why do skips have lights on them? Not sure if the laws in Scotland pertaining to parking are different to the laws in England, but it is an ofence to dump anything by the side of the road and that caravan is dumped!
They must have some real dozy wardens in Scotland who cannot use common sense and use the correct laws!
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
According to the news report the council is in touch with the owner of the caravan which is not regarded as having been dumped. The headquarters of the council parking enforcement dept is in the same street so Edinburgh council must be remarkably tolerant. Our lot are talking about buying camera cars so that the wardens can cover a wider area and tickets will be issued automatically.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
According to the news report the council is in touch with the owner of the caravan which is not regarded as having been dumped. The headquarters of the council parking enforcement dept is in the same street so Edinburgh council must be remarkably tolerant. Our lot are talking about buying camera cars so that the wardens can cover a wider area and tickets will be issued automatically.

Then they wonder why the town centre is dying and out of town is booming. Every one going into town is scared of receiving a ticket that they cannot fight! There have been some instances of people having a BB displayed and still getting a ticket because the camera car cannot see inside the vehicle.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Scotland has many laws that differ from the rest of the Uk and I am sure if the regulations defined a trailer as a vehicle they would have removed it. What I do not undestand is that it is clearly an obstruction so surely some action could be taken there.

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
hi,
many moons ago when i lived in a house, i parked my caravan in the street outside my house, our neighbours from hell (for many reasons) complained to the police who gave me 7 days to move it ! i asked the reason that it couldnt be left outside my own home and they said : its not taxed so is considered to be a trailer, also any trailer or car is an obstruction in any street as you are obstructing another car from parking in its place...which in turn also becomes an obstruction and can be ordered to be moved...making all cases a perpetual obstruction ! i asked the obvious 'so i can complain and have nxt doors car moved so that i can park in front of their house ?' he answered 'yes' ......... kind of a catch 22 ??

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
the caravan is parked facing the right way on the proper side of the road and is actually parked right under a street light. i suspect the owner knew exactly what they were doing and no doubt the council took legal advice and found they were on a sticky wicket.
sometimes the laws are who shouts the loudest, and legal actions cost and its not always clear who would win.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Raywood said:
Scotland has many laws that differ from the rest of the Uk and I am sure if the regulations defined a trailer as a vehicle they would have removed it.
What is a trailer if it's not a vehicle? Just because it hasn't got an engine doesn't stop it from being a vehicle.
There are no specific vehicle construction and use regulations for Scotland.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Lutz said:
Raywood said:
Scotland has many laws that differ from the rest of the Uk and I am sure if the regulations defined a trailer as a vehicle they would have removed it.
What is a trailer if it's not a vehicle? Just because it hasn't got an engine doesn't stop it from being a vehicle.
There are no specific vehicle construction and use regulations for Scotland.
Actually as a legal definition a caravan is not a vehicle........

a. A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance: a space vehicle.
b. A self-propelled conveyance that runs on tires; a motor vehicle.
2. A medium through which something is transmitted, expressed, or accomplished: His novels are a vehicle for his political views.
3. The concrete or specific word or phrase that is applied to the tenor of a metaphor and gives the metaphor its figurative power, as walking shadow in "Life's but a walking shadow" (Shakespeare).
4. A play, role, or piece of music used to display the special talents of one performer or company.
5. A substance of no therapeutic value used to convey an active medicine for administration.
6. A substance, such as oil, in which paint pigments are mixed for application.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
From Protection of Freedom Act:- “vehicle” means a mechanically-propelled vehicle or a vehicle designed or adapted for towing by a mechanically-propelled vehicle.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Given that there are separate laws covering an obstruction to the highway I would have thought that these could have been used. Try leaving a skip in the road without permission and see what happens and that is less like a vehicle than a caravan.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I find this so funny. and moving on with regards "an obstruction" it clearly is not an obstruction either under the proper terms for appling that law.as you can clearly drive an artic lorry by it. It must be frustrating, i would assume some how caravans have been overlooked in the past and as yet no laws have been implemented to take in this legal loophole....although is it not legal in scotland for travellers to park up on verges? if so maybe it steems from whatever law that is....

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Surfer said:
From Protection of Freedom Act:- “vehicle” means a mechanically-propelled vehicle or a vehicle designed or adapted for towing by a mechanically-propelled vehicle.
As it says, "a vehicle means ............ or a vehicle adapted for towing by a mechanically-propelled vehicle". A caravan obviously falls into the latter category.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Lutz said:
Surfer said:
As it says, "a vehicle means ............ or a vehicle adapted for towing by a mechanically-propelled vehicle". A caravan obviously falls into the latter category.

sorry lutz,No it does not. a trailer is a vehicle,because it carries goods so falls under the "adapted for towing" a caravan cannot transport goods or people! and nobody can go changing the terminology of what a vehicle or vessel is! If there is any confusion its up to the law makers to add sub divisions to cover all aspects that could accur.clearly in this case either scottish law differs or their legal experts are asses and so would be the CPS. or others understanding of the term vehicle is wrong. Being as the scots have always been at the forefront where legal issues are concerned, i would be interested to know exactly what is what

Code for Crown Prosecutors - Public Interest Considerations
Top of pageDefinition of a Motor Vehicle
Although this is the legal definition, ultimately it is a matter of fact and degree for a court to interpret as to whether or not a vehicle is a motor vehicle at the time of the incident.
The term mechanically propelled vehicle is not defined in the Road Traffic Acts. It is ultimately a matter of fact and degree for the court to decide. At its most basic level it is a vehicle which can be propelled by mechanical means. It can include both electrically and steam powered vehicles.
Intended or adapted for use on roadsis also not defined by statute and again ultimately a matter for the court to decide based on the evidence before it.
There has, however, been extensive case law on the subject and the main point that emerges is what is known as the reasonable man test as per the following cases:
Burns v Currell [1963] 2 All ER 297
B was found sitting in a go-kart. The kart had a rear-mounted engine, a tubular frame, a single seat, silencer, steering wheel and column, but had no handbrake, horn, springs, driving mirror or wings. There was evidence that B had only used the go-kart on the unadopted road once. He was convicted and he appealed on the grounds that the go-kart was not intended or adapted for use on roads and was thus not a motor vehicle to which the regulations applied.
The Appeal was allowed and the conviction was quashed. The test to be adopted was the 'reasonable man test'. There must be sufficient evidence before the justices to prove beyond reasonable doubt that such a 'reasonable man' looking at the go-kart would say that one of its uses would be a use on the road.
DPP v Saddington Times 1.11.2000S drove an unregistered motorised scooter called a 'Go-Ped' on a road whilst disqualified and uninsured. The vehicle had a 22.5cc engine and was definitely a mechanically propelled machine. However, to prove the two most serious offences, the machine also had to be a motor vehicle, i.e. a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road.
At the hearing the magistrates found that the 'Go-Ped' fell far below statutory standards and would not satisfy road traffic legislation relating to motor vehicles. They decided that the vehicle was not a motor vehicle. The DPP appealed by way of case stated and also asked the Court to declare that the machine was a motor vehicle.
The courts held that the Go-Ped was a motor vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many years ago back in the 70s I used to bring my caravan home from my parents where I used to keep it, in preparation for a holiday or a weekend away, at the time we lived in a terraced house, plenty of room for two vehicles to pass each other.
one of my neighbours complained to the police (they never tell you who!) and a visit by the local bobby telling me in no uncertain terms to move it.
i argued all the points that have been raised here with little luck, to pc plod it was causing an obstruction end of, I asked him to explain to me how it was causing an obstruction when vehicles could pass quite freely, ok on only one side of the road, but he was adamant that in the eyes of the law it was causing an obstruction,with the parting words : if it is not moved the next time I do my beat down this street you will be prosecuted.
funds being in short supply in those days I did not peruse it any further and back it went to my parents.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
A caravan is a trailer and VOSA uses trailer regulations for prosecution! If a caravan is not a trailer then neither can a horsebox be a trailer.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Surfer said:
A caravan is a trailer and VOSA uses trailer regulations for prosecution! If a caravan is not a trailer then neither can a horsebox be a trailer.
???? A horsebox is used to transport horses! ie goods" re vehicle. A caravan cannot be used to transport people or horses! or goods. A horsebox is therefore a trailer as decribed as a veihicle used for transporting things! a caravan is not. fundimentally as can be seen by the link posted by parksy, Edinburg council,and one would assume the police and vosa maywell have been involved too,have spent 4 months.Dont you thing for one moment there isnt a person up there who hasnt thought about it and found its not covered by any
notions put forward here.. like i said i find this topic funny,but do actually see where they are coming from...

have copied this from another caravan website. not my style as a rule but as isaid earlier do find this interesting. regardless of rights or wrongs

It is NOT illegal to park your caravan on the road if it is not causing an obstruction to road users. This does not mean that it cannot be a highway obstruction, any vehicle parked on the road is an obstruction to the highway. In practice this means that a caravan can be parked on the road as long as it does not block anybody’s driveway or create a hazard to other road users, such as blocking visibility around a tight bend.
Any caravan owner must ensure that they do not deny access to the public, willful obstruct the highway without lawful excuse or make unreasonable use of the highway. This is defined under section 137 of the Highways Act and Regulation 103 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Act of 1986.Reflectors
It is also necessary that the caravans reflectors face the direction of the traffic. A statement from the Police says that a caravan “must be lit at night if it is parked on a road and comply with the other normal parking rules”. This requirement should be answered if a caravan has all the normal regulation reflectors and is parked near street lighting. Many people do not follow this rule judging by the amount of poorly lit caravans seen on roads. However it is definitely worth making sure that your caravan is adequately visible both for the safety of other road users and for the protection of your caravan.Insurance
If you want to park your caravan on a road then you should speak to your insurance company. You may find that your insurance does not cover the car being left on the road for an extended period of time. There are also matters of civility to contemplate; try to consider the needs of your neighbours and other road users. Be courteous, inform them if you are going to leave your caravan on the road. Do not work on your caravan when it is in the road and under no circumstances use it as accommodation. Also you should be aware that the Police are able to issue warnings and fines if they believe that your caravan is causing an obstruction, it is down to the discretion of the Police officers what constitutes an obstruction so heed their warning.
Rules vary about parking caravans on roads. You will find that there is a great deal of information on the web, much of it is contradictory. The best thing to do is to contact your local council and local Highways Agency. They will be able to provide you with relevant local information and any applicable by laws in the area.Conclusion
Ultimately parking a caravan on the road is not an ideal situation. You may find that you cannot park your caravan in your drive due to restrictive covenants on the deeds of your house. If you are unsure then you should seek advice from your solicitor, council and of course your neighbours. The best solutions to caravan storage are to keep your caravan out of sight and protected from thieves and weather in a garage or in a specifically designed caravan storage park.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
some body mentioned parking out side there house , you dont have any rights to park out side your house its a public highway , your property is marked on your deeds , unlesss the pavement and road are marked on your deeds , its for the general public to park unless there are parking restrictions , i have arguments while parking in a street , with people coming out of there houses telling me that its there daughters parking place , to which i replied , if you think i am breaking the law , please feel free to call the police ,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts