Caravan Sites like Truck Stops

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
It must be about a year since I last visited this forum, which I found to be intolerant and unfriendly.

I posted this topic to see if anything had changed and sadly it has not.

I guess this is why we no longer live in the UK.

Forum membership should be a pleasant exchange of useful information and there is not much of that here is there?
James,

Your original post was not exactly "a pleasant exchange of useful information" was it?

Nick

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
It must be about a year since I last visited this forum, which I found to be intolerant and unfriendly.

I posted this topic to see if anything had changed and sadly it has not.

I guess this is why we no longer live in the UK.

Forum membership should be a pleasant exchange of useful information and there is not much of that here is there?
i am fairly new to this site so i may be wrong,but the only negative posting i have seen is yours!maybe you didn`t mean it to sound like an attack,but to me it came over as such.i do not drive a large 4x4 or have a twin axle but i do think your comment was aimed in the wrong direction.have you just returned to this site to cause unrest?

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Being new to this kind of criticism I'm dipping toe in to unknown waters.

JamesFrance and his post suggest he is may be French based and caravanning for an extended staying in Spain I guess

A lot of the time on site we have too many things to go and see or things to do to concern ourselves what others are fitting on their pitches.

Our caravan is our "mobile home" and the large amount of space with a full awning gives us the comfort akin to our bricks and mortar home. We don't caravan as some kind of penance where we have to live a subsistence life style.

Many leave Britain for a "good life" style of living as they trade UK homes for cheaper larger more luxurious homes on the continent and good luck to them, that's their choice.

James has left Britain as his choice one would assume, yet he begrudges his ex countrymen their automotive and caravanning choice.

If James has the time to concern himself with comparing tow car noise levels is he not short of interests. Our experience is that most camp sites do not allow cars to drive around sites after 10pm.

In James second post he mentions his Yacht and Marina practices, the comparison is rather silly when there is little chance of parking on floating pontoons of moorings.

At many Marinas there's often more than a fair share of loud noisy toffee nosed types driving large over powered 4x4's and a selection of high powered cars with no tow hitch that are just an ego boost.

Pity those who live near Marina's where over paid underworked Yachtie types pile out of bars and restaurants and noisily stagger through quiet seaside towns back to their boats "OK Yahhhing" and guffawing to the annoyance of local residents. Also how many booze fueled sailor types head out to sea and get in trouble as they are "over fuelled" and then expect charity funded lifeboat crews to get them out of trouble.

James's posts raise a number of questions as to why he made it.

But we're comfortable in our caravan and car and JamesFrance can think what he likes, but does he need a yacht plus a caravan and car any more than others choose a comfortable van and competent tow car matched to it?

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
SteveW.

I have been a Boat owner, and part of both powered and sail boat fraternities.

We now have the use of a boat in Brixham.

Though many work hard to pay for their boats there is still more than the fair share of stereotypical weekend sailors who annoy others.

But for to many it's easy to level complaints and criticism at others without looking at themselves or how there pastimes or behaviour effects others.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
I have read all the replies with interest.I have noticed over the years that the trend is for bigger.Whether that be cars,caravans,boats,equipment etc..

This is freedom of choice,which is still available to us.

However I have also noticed that in peak seasons sites do get very crowded.I have gone through the phases of children,no children,grandchildren.

I will however extract one point from the original post and that is ,could some of the more popular sites(therefore the most crowded)provide extra parking spaces for vehs away from the caravans,thus making the pitches a more pleasant area.

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
Thankyou Pat.

That was the only point of my original post on this topic. If you are well past retiring age and live in the quiet of the countryside surrounded by vines as I do, the noise of large diesel engines seems oppressive. I was merely suggesting that it would be nice if heavy vehicles could be parked away from the camping area.

Why some people seem to have taken this as an attack on their lifestyle I wouldn't begin to understand. Of course a big caravan needs a big towing vehicle. No problem with that.

I must admit that I found a comment saying 'get a life' rather offensive and reacted to that. I don't quite understand what it means, but it was clearly meant to be unpleasant.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site

"We are on the Costa Blanca and surrounded by twin axle caravans with big 4WD vehicles.

It would be great if these could be parked in a parking area rather than constantly making us feel we are parked in the middle of a bus depot".

In your 1st posting you infered that it was only owners of twin axle caravans that were using large 4WD vehicles & that the vans should be parked up in a different area.

There are a lot of people towing single axle caravans that use large 4WD vehicles. I suppose that they do not make as much noise as 4WD vehicles towing twin axle vans.

I have been using camp sites on the continent for several years, each of them forbid the movement of any vehicle after 2200 hrs (10.00pm) by locking the gates.

So in future dont pick a BUS DEPOT with no security, use a good camp site that locks up at night

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
Graham I read our last post about people not telling you what to do so get a life, whatever that means.

So why do you want to tell me what I should do?

I really do not care what type of caravan is being towed, that is not the point at all. The timing is hardly the point either, but having my caravan filled with diesel exhaust fumes and frequent noise is.

Why can't you accept that I am merely suggesting that campings would be far more pleasant if vehicles were parked away from the pitches?

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I cannot believe just how many men have taken this original posting so personally and then responded in a defensive bordering on offensive reply. I think James was merely referring to the combined size of twin axles plus 4x4's in general. I personally know exactly what he means. A large twin plus large 4x4 can appear much bigger than a smaller single towed by a family saloon. Some 4x4's DO sound very noisy and I think that was the main reference.

We tow with an Audiw A4 diesel which also has a very noisy engine and for this reason we are mindful of where and for how long we would keep it running especially when on a caravan site.

I think some of these replies are indicative of how some sections of society have gone i.e. no consideration for others, always see the worst and I'm all right Jack. Also telling someone to 'get a life' suggests that they consider their own opinion is better than someone elses, instead of trying so see something from somebody elses point of view.

So come on, lighten up and read what's posted. :)

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
The original post came across as though JamesFrance was having a go at twin axle vans and 4x4 vehicles.

Possibly James has been staying on some sites with unreasonable people, we have a 4x4 and a twin axle van but hopefully we do not disturb our neighbours... roll on the hybrid 4x4 at a decent price and a 7mt light van that only requires 1 x axle as some families have 5 or 6 members unlike James who sounds as though he has retired and is a family of 2 in his van.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
As mentioned most sites we have used restrict times that cars can be used on site.

We're a retired couple with 8+ metre van and a large tow car that also shares its engine with smaller saloon cars.

Our van and car have always fitted on our pitches, so we can't see James's problem re size.

James didn't just post about side of site parking, he pitched in with untoward comment on car and caravan choice.

Having camped and caravanned for over 40 years we have only ever seen vehicles parked with their pith, had James never noticed that?

Cars are quieter and sweeter smelling these days, so I can't see what James France's problem is apart from his choice of site and having a go at a car and caravan choice.

If James is concerned that others are telling him what to do he should refrain from telling others about where he thinks they should park and about his prejudice re cars and vans larger than his own!

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
Quote: James didn't just post about side of site parking, he pitched in with untoward comment on car and caravan choice.

I have no recollection of doing that.

It would be better if people read and understood what was posted rather than assume they were being attacked.

What is it about ownership of 4wd vehicles that gives people such a chip on the shoulder?

I have already said that I have no problem at all with other folks choice of outfit, so no need to make assumptions.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Quote: James didn't just post about side of site parking, he pitched in with untoward comment on car and caravan choice.

I have no recollection of doing that.

It would be better if people read and understood what was posted rather than assume they were being attacked.

What is it about ownership of 4wd vehicles that gives people such a chip on the shoulder?

I have already said that I have no problem at all with other folks choice of outfit, so no need to make assumptions.
Yes James you have no problem with other folks choice of outfit so long as they are parked well away from you.........

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Well then James I'll remind you

"surrounded by twin axle caravans with big 4WD vehicles.

It would be great if these could be parked in a parking area rather than constantly making us feel we are parked in the middle of a bus depot.

Why do these awful vehicles need to be so noisy? They are more like HGVs than cars"

Who posted that ?

Since January last year we have spent just over 27 weeks caravanning and the way you describe the outfits is nothing like what we've experienced.

Your description says "awful vehicles" yet many are no noisier and take up no more space than many saloon cars.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
James,

Just get on with your life & stop moaning about any body else.

Just because I have a 4x4 there is no way I am going to park off my pitch just to please you.

As I said before all of the sites that I use prohibit the use of ANY vehicle after 2200 hrs, so if you go to bed before that you will be disturbed by any vehicle.

Just for your imformation, a turbo be it on a petrol or diesel engine should be run for 30 seconds / 1min. to warm up before moving off & the same when stoping to cool down, is this what is annoying you?

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Most people use the car to carry, store and prvide security. Our two dogs sleep in ours at sites.

Are campers going to be expected to haul the Tesco supplies from car parks and elderly couples trek back and forth.

What nonsense.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Who is going to look after mu large 4X4 if it is not parked within the boundaries of my pitch?

Who is going to stop kids using it as goalposts?

Who is going to ensure that it is not accidentally dammaged by bicycles?

Who is going to....The list goes on

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And how does my disabled lady get to our caravan?

I guess the main problem here is that James posted before he read it through, a bit like speaking without engaging brain!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts