caravan stabiliser

Apr 27, 2008
Visit site
I wonder if anyone could advise me on my stabiliser, whenever we use it, it makes a loud groaning noise when turning. I have heard one or two other caravans being towed making the same noise. I know you can replace the friction discs, could this be the reason for the noise. We would appreciate any advice on the matter.

Many thanks Andy & Denise

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Denise and Andy,

You do not state what type of stabiliser you are using (i.e. is it a 'blade' stabiliser or does it fit on to the tow ball?)

If it is a tow ball type(Alko or similar) it may be the tow ball needs cleaning. Is it a new ball and if so does it have the manufacturers finish still on it (black paint or similar) If so this needs removing with fine emery paper (the ball should look like steel).

You could also try using brake cleaner as this will remove any grease or contaminant.

If it is the blade type the friction discs may need replacing or cleaning. These can be bought at most caravan accessory shops.

Ron

Apr 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ron

Thanks for your reply. We are using a blade stabiliser, i will try cleaning the friction pads first and give it a go.

again thanks Andy & Denise

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ron

Thanks for your reply. We are using a blade stabiliser, i will try cleaning the friction pads first and give it a go.

again thanks Andy & Denise
Andy & Denise.

It could be that you are towing with a diesel car? The fumes from the exhaust contaminate the ball. Thefefor it could need cleaning regularly. If you don't then the pads become contaminated and it creaks and groans alot. If it gets worse at slow speeds then this is probably the problem.

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi we had this too, as well as cleaning the pads with break fluid give them a rub or two with emery cloth. It they get too shiny they make the noise. I also found a slight ridge on one of our pads . Once emery'ed away and cleaned the noise went

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was plagued with groaning from my blade stabiliser - not fixed by cleaning/replacing friction pads. I cured it by lubricating the shoe that the blade sits in (silicone spray) - it slides along the shoe as the van turns corners.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts