Caravan taps, how much?!

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Today I set about investigating my leaking kitchen tap.

It's definitely leaking around the bottom section ,I checked with tissues. The master plan was to replace the square profille o ring seals around the bottom of the tap. I bought a replacement cartridge as they aren't that expensive and thought I'd take "belt and braces" approach. However non of the usual DIY places have anything like the o rings for my tap. I'm having a job to even find anything online which would work.

As my water system is pressure switched, I was hoping to use a domestic tap with the relevant adaptors but the spouts are way too long. The prices of caravan taps just seems ridiculous. There's a bathroom tap with a shorter swivel spout at B&Q which is a possible canidate, at a reasonable £22 as opposed to the £60+ I'm looking at from caravan shops..

Has anyone on here had success with fitting a domestic tap in their caravan kitchen?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Chris, there are various threads on the Swift Owners group Facebook page because Reich taps as fitted by Swift ( and probably others ) are… let’s use the word suboptimal. Lots of folks seem to have swapped for taps from Screwfix. You may want to look first. I am not technically minded so can’t advise further.
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes Screwfix sell a wide range of taps and also they stock spares for them, so you are future proofed to some extent.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought a set of universal o rings from Amazon and was able to find a pair of seals that matched. They were a better fit, too good in fact as it was impossible to rotate the tap afterwards (but no leaks).

Those Reich Vector taps are utter garbage. Half of the posts on Facebook recently seem to have been about them either leaking or blowing out the end of the spout.

I've had a few changed under warranty - after that it'll be getting a set of generic taps from screwfix / toolstation.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
It looks like the required 15 to 12 mm reducer for a domestic tap is only available online from caravan suppliers online. I'll give Swindon Caravan Centre a call tomorrow to see if they do something.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As you suspected, any domestic tap will fit with the aid of adaptors.

The special thing about caravan taps for pressurised systems, is the price.

John

Reactions: Bluetonic
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I've ordered some O rings off Ebay . Gott a be worth a try for a few quid. I bought a new cartridge today too at Swindon Caravan Centre. I'll fit that too for good measure.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I know it’s too late now but cartridges are available from Screwfix etc for half the price of caravan dealers, I replaced the one in my parents caravan last year. Regarding the O-ring, can you reuse the old one with a smear of “instant gasket” on it?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I know it’s too late now but cartridges are available from Screwfix etc for half the price of caravan dealers, I replaced the one in my parents caravan last year. Regarding the O-ring, can you reuse the old one with a smear of “instant gasket” on it?

O ring packs are cheap from Screwfix, Toolstation. I got mine from Eurocarparts. I found trying to find the precise size of a failed one and then buy a replacement at inflated prices wasn’t on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is possible, but , I think very unlikely that a caravan tap manufacturer would design a tap to use a none standard size of O ring, so buying a kit seems a good idea.

However there can be some other reasons to use caution with this approach, depending on what job the O ring is actually doing, the material of the O ring could be a critical matter.
If the ring is normally in contact with anything we eat or drink, the ring must be made to a food grade standard.
If the ring is to be used on the gas installation in a caravan it must be LPG tolerant, as LPG will dissolve or affect natural rubbers, and some synthetics.
If the ring needs to allow any parts it contacts to move, then some lubricants might affect the rings composition.

With these factors in mind, is having a box of O rings which might or might not be suitable for other jobs the right thing to have, in which case for some people it might be simpler and safer to get the manufacturers spare part for peace of mind.

But if the present job is not affected by the limitations above, then having a box of O rings around can be quite useful especially if it's cheaper than the manufacture's dedicated part.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As others have said re cheap cartriges. But I would add. The old cartridge will have a code printed on it, simply Google it and plenty will come up.

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
O ring packs are cheap from Screwfix, Toolstation. I got mine from Eurocarparts. I found trying to find the precise size of a failed one and then buy a replacement at inflated prices wasn’t on.

None of the kits at Toolstation or Screwfix have the correct size.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
None of the kits at Toolstation or Screwfix have the correct size.

There are variations in size regarding height. But the whole and fitting diameters are standard. The biggest difference is between the WH basin and sink taps. But there are further height and reach differences. So it is possible to fit a large WH basin tap in place of a sink tap.

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
There are variations in size regarding height. But the whole and fitting diameters are standard. The biggest difference is between the WH basin and sink taps. But there are further height and reach differences. So it is possible to fit a large WH basin tap in place of a sink tap.

John
I was talking about the O rings.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Slightly off topic: Having had the sink off whilst mucking around with taps , I’ve uncovered some of the quality workmanship in my caravan. Not to mention the poor room sealing on the fridge which is my next project, I spotted my control panel cable:
4ACC1F24-A4DC-4774-8286-F74291A4056C.jpeg

Really?! :confused: Were they at the end of the cable roll when my ‘van was built?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Slightly off topic: Having had the sink off whilst mucking around with taps , I’ve uncovered some of the quality workmanship in my caravan. Not to mention the poor room sealing on the fridge which is my next project, I spotted my control panel cable:
View attachment 4561

Really?! :confused: Were they at the end of the cable roll when my ‘van was built?
You’re lucky. Newer caravans stretch the cables to the limit so you can’t remove appliances without cutting wires🤬🤬

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I was talking about the O rings.

Sorry, misread.

John
View attachment 4561

I had a Baily Senetor with very poor room sealing on the fridge. It had a pull-out shelf over the fridge. Big draughts would come through.

After I sealed it, not only were we draught-free, but the fridge worked more efficiently as ventilation went where it was supposed to.

I found this stuff useful for part of the job. Work done through the outside vents.

Exhaust fumes could enter the compartment.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts