Caravan Theft West Yorkshire - Experiences

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Having had 2 new caravans stolen within 15 months despite heavy security - (and CCTV film of the thieves!) I have been thankfully secured the kind attention of my MP. He is interested to know what more we think can be done to reduce the incidence of theft, the recovery rate and the number of people prosecuted. If anyone else has experience of caravan theft in West Yorkshire, please forward comments good or bad to me if you would , (I will keep your info anonymous if you wish), so that we can pool our ideas and hopefully ensure geater likelihood that our precious caravans will stay where we put them! I can be contacted on Avison4024@aol.com. Regards to all.

Feb 1, 2006
Visit site
Hello Jackie,

I believe I tried to contact you on your Caravanning4U posting (by sending you a personal message) but you havn't yet responded, did you receive it?

We are less than 3 miles away from you at Ossett.

We had a caravan stolen, all security cut off with oxyacetylene just the same as you.

We have done something about it by designing a new device that can't be removed by oxyacetylene or professional tools.

We have customers who have had caravans stolen twice and even three times before coming to us.

Please give me a call on 01924 278338 and perhaps we can give you some information, we are near enough and can give you some help.

Jul 6, 2006
Visit site
Hello Jackie,

I believe I tried to contact you on your Caravanning4U posting (by sending you a personal message) but you havn't yet responded, did you receive it?

We are less than 3 miles away from you at Ossett.

We had a caravan stolen, all security cut off with oxyacetylene just the same as you.

We have done something about it by designing a new device that can't be removed by oxyacetylene or professional tools.

We have customers who have had caravans stolen twice and even three times before coming to us.

Please give me a call on 01924 278338 and perhaps we can give you some information, we are near enough and can give you some help.
Hi there. I am Mark and work at a company called Phantom who manufacture a special tracking system for caravans. We have

Dec 10, 2006
Visit site
We live near Halifax, had our van stolen mid-afternoon whilst I popped out for a couple of hours. I work from home, so I think we must have been watched for some time. A neighbour reported seeing a white van driving up and down the street several times. What annoyed me was the complete lack of interest from the police - I reported it immediately, but they just gave me a crime number. This is a

G

Were any of the vans Cris or Theftbeater etc registered, and did that make any difference?

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your theft. Try writing to your MP about the disinterest of the police? Both our vans CRIS registered, but in reality that seems to offer little protection. Hubbi and I spent many an hour wondering what we can do next to keep the van where it should be. More than 80 of us per week feel like this with 4000 caravans a year going. Thats a lot of crime and a lot of money. Most concerning is what these people might do if you catch them in the act? One lady in Sussex badly injured, so the authorities need to take these offences seriously. Most effective solution might be a tracker fitted into the build of every new 'van with a five/ten year battery..surely this should be possible with today's technology.

G

I thought Cris included a tracking device, Theftbeaters certainly does.

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

Neither Cris or Thiefbeaters have tracking devices standard, Thiefbeaters offer it as part of the gold package and their security markings are much more difficult to remove than Cris numbers as they are in around 50 random places, Thiefbeaters say that twin axle vans are subject to approx 25% loss from theft and Thiefbeaters marked vans are subject to around 1% loss and this is a lot cheaper than a tracker although both fitted will give even better protection.

Also dont bother with wheelclamps etc as they are burnt off in seconds, look at the Hublock as Kenneth has mentioned, it really is good but take no notice of the people who have not seen it but seem to think they know all about it because they dont.

spj

G

Thanks for the info. My van has Theftbeaters and it came with the van. When fitted by Theftbeaters the fitter advised me there was a tracker installed, but didn't mention that there were various standards.

Feb 1, 2006
Visit site
Hello Poppa,

We know of 24 caravans stolen in last couple of months in West Yorkshire alone.

With 4000 to 5000 stolen every year it's suprising how few ever make the news, perhaps this is a deliberate policy!!!!!

Unfortunately it's considered an insurance claim, assuming you are adequately insured and can meet the terms of your policy.

If you follow the advice of police and insurance companies you are likely to join them as you now know.

Most thefts take no more than ten minutes and you need to rethink your security measures.

After we had a caravan stolen, we did just that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts