Caravan Toll prices in France

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Thinking of going to France in 2009. Calais down to Macon using the motorways.

I seem to remember reading it somewhere that travelling on Tuesdays or Thursdays the toll for a caravan is free. I can't remember the exact details though. Can anyone out there help?

Thanks

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
It's years since this was the case - 2000, 2001 and 2002 in fact, but it still seems to remain as an urban myth that this is the case. Occasionally certain motorway operators reduce tolls on certain sections but it's by no means general. The toll from Calais to Macon, one way, for car and caravan would be approximately 70 euros, taking the route towards and around Paris, or 76 euros taking the A26 via the Reims direction. Fuel prices on the autoroutes will also be more expensive, perhaps by up to 20 centimes per litre.

If you're not in any great hurry to actually get to your destination then it's possible (and enjoyable) to do the majority of the journey on non-toll roads. It may mean having to factor in an overnight stop, but it can add to the pleasure of your holiday when you find a gem of a site to stay overnight. You can then save the 20 centimes per litre by filling up whilst you're unhooked, at the local hypermarket.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Yes it is a pity they stopped the free caravan days.Jock if you want to find the toll charges go to www.mappy.com and put in the vehicle and destination and it will give you the route and toll charges.

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
It's years since this was the case - 2000, 2001 and 2002 in fact, but it still seems to remain as an urban myth that this is the case. Occasionally certain motorway operators reduce tolls on certain sections but it's by no means general. The toll from Calais to Macon, one way, for car and caravan would be approximately 70 euros, taking the route towards and around Paris, or 76 euros taking the A26 via the Reims direction. Fuel prices on the autoroutes will also be more expensive, perhaps by up to 20 centimes per litre.

If you're not in any great hurry to actually get to your destination then it's possible (and enjoyable) to do the majority of the journey on non-toll roads. It may mean having to factor in an overnight stop, but it can add to the pleasure of your holiday when you find a gem of a site to stay overnight. You can then save the 20 centimes per litre by filling up whilst you're unhooked, at the local hypermarket.
Thanks Val.Good to know i wasn't imagining it. Time is a factor so i'll just have to bite the bullet and pay a few tolls.

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes it is a pity they stopped the free caravan days.Jock if you want to find the toll charges go to www.mappy.com and put in the vehicle and destination and it will give you the route and toll charges.
Thanks Plotter.I'll give it a visit and see how much it'll sting me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts