Caravan Tyre Upgrade

Dec 30, 2018
Visit site
Hello
I am new to caravanning and new to the forum.
Not sure how to ask a question.
So here goes.
I need to put tyres on the caravan with an increased load index, 185/80R14 102.
These will be of a larger diameter to the current tyres which are 185/65R24 93.
The van is fitted with Alko Mammut, the space in bang on 20mm, does anyone know how to adjust the motor movers to a gap of 35mm, which will give me clearance for the larger tyres.
There is lots of room under the arches.
I have messed with cars and motor bikes all my live, so am competent with the old spanner’s.
Thanks.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Elwynhorton, welcome to the forum.
I've moved your query to start a new topic on the Technical message board rather than leaving attached to a nine month old unrelated thread where you originally posted it.
To ask a question first of all click on the New Topic tab and enter your subject title into the title box, then post your question and click the submit button at the bottom of the dialogue box

Dec 30, 2018
Visit site
Thanks, looks like the three nuts are mounted in slots; slacken these and the mover should pull backwards away from the tyre to open up the gap.
I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
It does beg the question why the OP needs bigger tyres? If 185/65R14 (I presume 24 was a typo) was the size fitted by the manufacturer why such a large upgrade? Has the caravan weight suddenly increased by 400Kg for some reason?
The OP should check the rating of the axle (there will be a label on the axle casing) as it is pointless fitting bigger tyres if the this means exceeding the axle load rating.

Dec 30, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.
The caravan is a bespoke Spanish import, which the manufacturer has adapted for a wheelchair user, hoist, lift etc. It is plated at 1600kg, the Alko chassis is stamped at 1600kg. But the tyres are rated at 650kg each.
I am assuming the tyres would be fine, before the added weight of the adaptions.
On a weigh bridge it is coming in at 1320kg.
So to be safe I am looking to upgrade to higher load index tyres.
I have crawled under but cannot see a plate on the axle, whereabouts should I be looking.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You don't have to crawl underneath. The statutory plate on the caravan must also show the maximum permissible axle load.
The current tyres would support a caravan of 1700kg, but as yours is only rated at 1600kg max. it does appear to be overshooting the target a bit by increasing the margin even further.

Dec 30, 2018
Visit site
Hi Lutz
Thanks for your advice, the plate is in Spanish so I may have misunderstood what it means
Not sure where your 1700kg came from, it is a single axle with two tyres rated at LI 93 each.
Thanks again

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Sorry, I miscalculated. 2 times 650 is 1300, not 1700, so you do need higher load rated tyres.

The statutory plate doesn't normally have any text next to the weights. The top figure is always the MTPLM and the one below should be the max. noseweight and under that the maximum permissible axle load, regardless in which country the caravan was manufactured.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
It does beg the question why the OP needs bigger tyres? If 185/65R14 (I presume 24 was a typo) was the size fitted by the manufacturer why such a large upgrade? Has the caravan weight suddenly increased by 400Kg for some reason?
The OP should check the rating of the axle (there will be a label on the axle casing) as it is pointless fitting bigger tyres if the this means exceeding the axle load rating.

For sometime Swift have been fitting tyres that have a higher load rating than the axle. If it provides for an increased margin of safety I have no objections. After all the cost differential is marginal.

I had a S5 Bailey upgraded to 1400 kg MTPLM but with its standard tyres rated at 1420kg I felt better going for an increased LI.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Elwynhorton said:
Thanks for your advice.
What size and make of tyres did you fit?

When I upgraded my Bailey tyres I fitted GT Radial Kargomax ST 6000. They gave good service over six years on the van. The Sprite came with Hankooks C rated tyres which are used extensively by delivery vehicles White Van Man! Think they are called Lantra. Will check when back home.

PS edit should be Vantra LT just searched Hankook site. Other companies such as Bridgestone Kuhmo etc all do C rated tyres. Make sure if you buy that they are not old stock as it will use up your service life. I buy mainly from online suppliers and fit locally. Then if you buy a well known brand you will get a newly made tyre mostly less than six months since date if manufacture.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Elwynhorton said:
Thanks for your advice.

Sorry didn’t answer your question re size. I always buy as near stock OEM size as possible. No point in going larger diameter unless you plan to go greenlaning. :)

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
Elwynhorton said:
Thanks for your advice.

When I upgraded my Bailey tyres I fitted GT Radial Kargomax ST 6000. They gave good service over six years on the van. The Sprite came with Hankooks C rated tyres which are used extensively by delivery vehicles White Van Man! Think they are called Lantra. Will check when back home.

PS edit should be Vantra LT just searched Hankook site. Other companies such as Bridgestone Kuhmo etc all do C rated tyres. Make sure if you buy that they are not old stock as it will use up your service life. I buy mainly from online suppliers and fit locally. Then if you buy a well known brand you will get a newly made tyre mostly less than six months since date if manufacture.

Hankook also make tyres under the 'Laufenn' brand.

Laufenn 'X Fit Van' are the OEM tyres on my Sprite.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Just Tyres do Avon (I think nearest are now AV11) which are 8-ply extra load van tyres and they work very well - or they did on our Peg 462.

Dec 30, 2018
Visit site
Thank for the information.
All good to know, but we have moved away from my original question, which was concerned with adjusting the distance from the Alko Mammut drive rollers to the caravan tyres.
Mine has gaps of 20mm, which is the minimum recommended by Alko.
I need to adjust the gap to about 40mm to accommodate the tyre upgrade.
There is bags of space around the tyres in the wheel arch to accommodate larger tyres.
Has any one done this themselves?
It looks to be a basic task with a decent socket set.
My thoughts are to slacken the three retaining bolts and then set the mover to engage on the tyres briefly, thus the force exerted by the mover would effectively push the mover backwards. Then tightness the bolts and check the gaps.
Does this make sense or am I over simplifying the process.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Can only speak for my mover from Towsure,
Behind the mover there is a clamp that clamps onto the van chassis then behind that (again on the chassis) a stop clamp preventing the mover moving back when in use.
I would need to undo the four bolts on the main clamp plus the one on the stop, on both sides, (10 in all) then slide the units back.
I would personally wait until I have the new tyres fitted before making any adjustment to the mover, just move it back out of the way.. Then using 20mm spacer blocks between mover and tyre push it forward, then tighten the fittings. Make sure the mover is fully retracted.

PS Easier with two people.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ring Al-KO and ask them, they make it so should be able to answer your question immediately rather than the amount of time you have spent here, with no answer !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts