Caravan tyre valves

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Hankooks will be five years old in November 2021 so I’m thinking of changing them early for this season. Reason being is that although the wheels get moved periodically that still doesn’t do anything to keep the rubber plasticisers well distributed. The loss of half a seasons use is neither here nor there given the last 12 months experience. A couple of good quality tyres come in at between £130 -£178 fitted. (GT Radial or Hankook). Given these tyres sit at 60 psi cold I would plan to fit hp valves. Has anyone any recommendations for such valves either as OEM or aftermarket supply?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I have had at least two caravan valve stem failures over recent years, with the 65 psi tyres we have,. These were for whatever reason longer in the stem than seems sensible and definitely longer than needed.
The replacements for these, and with all subsequent tyre changes I have insisted that high pressure short stems are used, the rubber coated brass type that the tyre dealer recommended and said were for the likes of transits etc, rated for I believe I was told 80 psi.

I have my suspicions that the long stems and my use of after market Tyrepal sensors were not altogether a wise decision. They both failed by micro cracking at and around the "root". The originals you could certainly flex the short HP ones are totally stiff, maybe they resonated at certain rolling states?

The only apparent downside of fitting higher rated stems, seems to be they cost a little more. No comparison though, value wise, to the hassle I had when one failed in France!
Possibly another other thing to watch is if the tyre inflator connector needs a bit of clearance to fit onto the stem?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you that’s very helpful and aligns with my thinking. I read that motorhomes often use them as they can have Transit like pressures.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts