Caravan vs. Motorhome

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This weekends campsite at the British Superbikes was packed with motorhomes. I've always wanted one - dont know why, they cost the earth to buy and run, how do you have days-out once parked up?, the living space is poor by comparison but i just think there great.

I have a 5 berth caravan which is towed by my company car, at their wear and tear so really i have no justification for changing - but I'd still love too.

I was just reading a forum for campers (tiny amount of answers to questions) and the problems they have with them far outweights the niggles we discuss on here. for example condensation under the mattresses (yuk) because they are not on slatted bases. (imagine paying 15 k for camper that someone has been sweating in for 10 years.)

At the moment i could either trade up for a brand new fixed bedder or spend about 1k a year on running costs for a 10 year old camper, that is just about to start leaking and rusting!!

Head overules heart!

Anyone else pondered over this, what conclusions did you reach??

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi

we pondered long and hard over buying a decent VW campervan, but found that we could not find a good example; there is limited space; less freedom to explore as you would have to take it with you everywhere you go (plus your stuff!); it is another vehicle to insure, tax, service and MOT; and I dont think motorised vehicles take kindly to being "put-away" for the winter!

I still look but all in all am really happy we decided to go for a caravan instead, I think the pro's far outweigh the cons.

Mark (",)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I sometimes look enviously at motorhomers and think about changing but then I work out the practicalities. Some of the country roads I use when I'm away have a 6'6" width restriction and I couldn't cope with packing up just to go and get some chips. So the only way I could make it work is to tow a car behind - I might as well have a car + caravan.

It must work for some though, as very few motorhomers would change to a caravan.

Horses for courses, I suppose.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife and I have been caravanning since the late sixties and I always felt the same about motor homes. Having to pack every thing buy before setting out, parking problems, etc. etc. We had an accident last July and our caravan was written off, We were told that the 4x4 we had towing with saved us going over. It was very frightening at the time. My wife would not consider another van.

After a little deliberation we had a look at some second hand motor homes on sale locally. we ended up buying a 4 berth Peugeot Boxer based model - 2000 model for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its horses for courses.

If you like your motorhome them its worth the expense to you.

We caravan because we need the vehicle for trips out when we are on site as my wife is disabled.

If you are fit and can cycle (with/without engine!)then that is no problem.

Some motor caravans seem underpowered to me as they have little cars pushing them along

On rallies the first question is has anyone room to give a lift to motor caravanners when meals/trips out are organised .

One couple went with us every day for a month in the South of France.

We met one couple and he was ecstatic about his pride and joy MC but she was fed up with having to use an old car the rest of the year while the costly vehicle stood empty in the drive for most of the year.

With a car/caravan you have a nice if larger vehicle to use all the year.

Its down to personal choice in the end.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Stopped for fuel near Brindisi yesterday and was spoken to by an English lady. UK Fiat powered motorhome broke down on Sunday and they needed part fom UK!!!

Scared to leave belongings in van they are living in the M'home at the garage! An Austrian families car is alongside them but they and Caravan have been taken to nearby campsite!

I got the parts on DHL to them yesterday afternoon through trade contact in the UK as they had been told yesterday morning by the garage that it would take at least week to get the part!

They opted for a motorhome and said they wished they had bought a caravan as the motorhome size causes to many restrictions on where they can go and what they can do.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hmmmmmmm, now I will be the first to admit I dont understand the complexities of motor manufacturing and export/import problems but a Fiat broke down in Italy needs a part from the U.K. baffles me. Is this model Fiat only made for export or is it manufactured somewhere else in Europe. Just interested thats why I ask. What a topsy - turvy world.

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
We always thought we'd like either a caravan or motorhome (we'd never had either before), and very nearly got into debt when our heads were turned by a nice compact (SMALL)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Just checked DHL web site and part landed in Italy this morning, understand it is some electrical ECU part that is not that common hence one week delivery. I'm going back to drop some supplies to John and Anne later when I've finished work and will help them fit the part as the garage is busy before easter.

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
Just checked DHL web site and part landed in Italy this morning, understand it is some electrical ECU part that is not that common hence one week delivery. I'm going back to drop some supplies to John and Anne later when I've finished work and will help them fit the part as the garage is busy before easter.
We have also pondered about a motorhome but have continued with out caravan which is so comfortable.

Like others, we like to go out and visit the area we are in on a daily basis and the thought of packing everything up each time does not appeal to us.

The only advantage I can see is if you are actually touring on the continent and have planned to go on a long trek.

I am amused by those that tow a small car behind them. You might just aswell tow a caravan and pay only one lot of road fund tax.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts