caravan weight questions from a newboy

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Morning all,

Following the recent addition to my little family I'm looking to break into this caravanning business. I've plenty of fond memories from caravanning holidays during my childhood but not a clue about the do's and don'ts of caravanning.

Therefore, I was hoping someone could help me out with a couple of questions I have.

Firstly about caravan weight.

I've 04 bmw320d estate with a kerb weight of 1580kg, given the 85% rule I've read so much about does this really restrict me to a van weighing less than 1343kg?

Also should the 85% rule be calculated on the empty factory weight of the van or on some other weight taking into account what ever kit might be on board?

Anyone have any thoughts on van choice.

Had a first look at vans this weekend and oh my god, very impressed with how they've come on since my dad's sprite musketeer..but the choice is boggling.

Any recommendations/thoughts what would be a good 2nd hand 4 berth van for £10k, ideally one without the fixed double bed.

Thanks for your help.

Gavin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gavin

Caravan weight is MTPLM [Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass]i.e. fully laden for holiday.

You should check in your Car handbook for caravan 'max noseweight'

Stick with the popular makes of caravans, because your first van may not be right for you once you start using it - therefore you may want to change.

Buy a copy of Practical Caravan which shows all the different layouts - EB [end bathroom] EK [end kitchen] etc. Do you want any bunks? Visit as many dealers as you can and take digital photos [if possible] of layouts that you like and you should soon come up with a list of Caravans that suit your needs. I would then look to buy privately from someone maybe finishing caravanning so you can get all the kit included.

If you start with a van only there is so much more you have to buy. Awning, gas bottle, wheel clamp, water & waste containers, kitchen equipment etc etc.

HTH & good luck, do let us know how you get on.

Mike

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

If I have to take into account the MTPLM weight and not the "empty factory" weight, options seem very limited.

I had my eye on a good looking Swift Challenger 510, but apparently that comes in with a MTPLM of 1540kg. which is pretty much the weight of the car (1580kg).

******!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gavin,

Firstly lets get this matter of the 85% out of the way. It is not a rule. It is not a legal requirement here or anywhere in the EU. A 'rule' implies it has some technical basis which if exceeded has some sanction or dire consequence. It does not, however for a inexperienced tower, it does make some sense to keep the towed mass as low as possible to keep the outfit as easy as possible to control. 85% is a guideline, and it does not automatically guarantee that an outfit will be fully controllable. As with any aspect of a road vehicle it has to be maintained and loaded correctly, and driven sensibly.

The towing regulations always use the kerbweight of the tug, and the MPTLM of the trailer as the two elements in a ratio calculation. These two figures do not change and so it is an easy and repeatable calculation. It is also the worst-case scenario, which means that in practice things should be more favourable.

What you are allowed to tow is dependant on the tugs maximum permitted towed mass that is set by the tugs manufacturer, and your driving licence If you took your basic test after Jan 1997 and you have not taken the towing extension then you are limited to a maximum towed mass of 100% of the tugs kerbweight. Otherwise you can tow up to the vehicles max allowed trailer mass.

It is always important to check the manufactures towing allowance for your specific model of car, as different models within the same generic group may be different, and in some cases the trailer MPTLM may be actually less than the kerb weight or even the 85% guideline. Some vehicles are not permitted to tow at all.

My sources suggest that The 04 BMW 320D touring is technically approved to tow up to 1800kg, which if your licence allows is what you can legally tow.

You should also consider the tugs allowed Gross Train Mass. This is the combined mass of Tug and trailer that may be less than the MPTLMs of the individual tug and trailer added together.

As always you should check the figures for your outfit with an authoritative source such as the data plates on the vehicles or manufactures or their official dealers.

For more detailed, info on what you can tow see:

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gavin you can carry heavy things in your car rather than the van which will improve the weight ratios. Consider the Lunar range of vans which are generally lighter than many other manufacturers.

Good luck

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts